• Register Today It's free!

Amp question

Redlight43

Reaction score
City, State
Western Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
`93 Splash & `99 sploder
I have a Kenwood KAC-923 amp that goes into protection mode everytime it powers on. I do not know alot about working on amps, so should I take it to a tech or is there something that I could possibly do myself to save money? I know that there are alot of very knowledgable audio people here, so hopefully someone can help me out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first i would check all the connections on both ends, the amp and the sources of them. loose/iffy grounds can cause some funny problems. what kind of sub(s) do you have? and how are they wired?

Does it go into protect when you do not have speakers hooked up to it?

- all connections are tight
- running 2 Kicker Solo-Baric 10's in parallel
- the amp does it no matter if the subs are hooked up or not

- all connections are tight
- running 2 Kicker Solo-Baric 10's in parallel
- the amp does it no matter if the subs are hooked up or not

It could be a internal problem with the amp. As long as your power wire is large enough and ground is the same size and on clean metal surface. It should at least turn on. Alot of amps with go in to protection if the subs are wired wrong and cause the amp to work to hard run too hot. I'd check power and ground and if its still doing it. It may just be a bad amp man.

sounds like it may be time for a new amp, i had one do the same thing, ended up bein gone

Thanx for all the replies. I was hoping that I could revive this one for a little money. I guess that 16 years out of an amp is good. Thanx again.

I had the same problem with a different amp. Definately internal. Sorry bro, its time for a new amp. Hehe, at least you got the most out of it

Looks l like time for a new amp.

Back