• Register Today It's free!

Amp Question

diamondback2k9

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4x4 4.0L SOHC
I am getting ready to get an AMP for my new rig. I going to running 3 Kicker L5's Dual voice coils. They are 750w RMS and 1500W Peak. I'm running 0 gauge back to the amp soon. According to Crutfield Ill be at 2.7 ohms. I would like a rockford fosgate or kicker amp but Im not sure what one si bet. Please any advice would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am getting ready to get an AMP for my new rig. I going to running 3 Kicker L5's Dual voice coils. They are 750w RMS and 1500W Peak. I'm running 0 gauge back to the amp soon. According to Crutfield Ill be at 2.7 ohms. I would like a rockford fosgate or kicker amp but Im not sure what one si bet. Please any advice would be great!

judging by that info your going with 3 15" inch l5 dual 4 ohm version...

sooo you need a hell of an amp

personally id scrap the third sub, and wire 2 of them down to 1 ohm and get a 1500-2000 watt rms amp at 1 ohm

but if you set on three subs then look on ebay and drop $700 on something this amp (kicker zx-2500.1)

So If I stay wiht 2 subs I can get a lower powered amp and they will be louder cause they are wired down to 1ohm?

wire each sub in parallel and than the subs in parallel to achieve .67 ohm and after impedance rise you will be good. Get an amp that does around 2000 watts at 1 ohm but the bigger the amp the better your electrical needs to be. If you want to get the dual 4 and wire in series/parallel than the kicker 2500.1 is a good choice but you can find them used on caraudio.com/forum in the classifieds for chaper. But that amp needs a stout electrical as well and they also tend to get really warm so make sure it can breathe well wherever you mount it

btw, there is better subs than kicker out there

Do you think I might be better off if I just run 4 L5s two on each amp and get 2 smalelr amps?

i think you should pick different subs

I all ready have 3 of these. I got them cheap for a friend. I think they sould good but woudl subs would you suggest?

Kicker is garbage.

sundown FTMFW!

i agree with the sundown :) but if you already have 3 subs, i'd just buy a 4th if you can get a good price. chances are if you sell those, you're still going to have to hand over some cash for 4 subs of another brand. and tho i dont prefer kicker myself, they arent by any means garbage. their amps are solid amps too, besides the fact that i think they have a set subsonic filter? i *think*. but yeah unless you cant get a good deal on 4 of a better brand, i'd just buy a 4th kicker. on 2 amps. or one big amp. less imp rise with 2 amps tho

Kicker is garbage.

not at all.

as posted above id parallel everything and run a 0.67 ohm load. Get a good solid amp from a good company and itll run fine at that load. Also make sure your electrical system is up to par.

-Big three upgraded to 1/0
-a beefy batt under the hood..preferrably a group 31 batt of some sort (optima g31 yellow or bluetop ((dont waste your time with a redtop)), powermaster d3100, odyssey pc2150)

Look for 2000-3000 watts @ 1 ohm...never hurts to have too much power.

-Old orion 2500d's are a good choice on a budget. The all silver ones...id stay away from the newer style ones though.

Heres another great option. Series your woofers coils to make 8 ohm per woofer then parallel all 3 woofers to make a 2.67 ohm final load. This sound digital amp is killer and will make a ton of clean power. Its also only 11 1/8" X 11 1/8". Nice tiny footprint for such a powerful amp. These amps are also 5 YEAR WARRANTY. Cant go wrong.
-sound digital SD2k5D (2ohm version)
or you could run this amp which is also an excellent amp from Brazil. And very small footprint too. 13 X 11 1/8"
-stetsom 2k5d (2 ohm version)
12.6 volts input voltage
1850 @ 4 ohm
2500 @ 2 ohm
13.8 volts input voltage
2200 @ 4 ohm
3300 @ 2 ohm

Or you can always run two smaller strappable amps. And series the coils then parallel the woofers so your final load is 2.67 ohm or 1.33 ohm per amp. So if you go this route you would want amps that do 1000-2000 watts @ 1 ohm each and make sure they're strappable. Gain matching is ok but strappable amps are far more reliable when running 3 woofers to a single strapped pair.

(2) sundown saz-1500d strapped for 3k at 2 ohm!
(2) sundown saz-1000d strapped for 2k at 2 ohm!

Back