• Register Today It's free!

amp/sub wiring combination

95xeb

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Eddie Bauer
I've got a Kenwood KAC-728S amp (600w total), and i'm using it to run 2 10" MTX's. I dont know which model of MTX the subs are, because I didn't purchase them... they came in a vehicle i bought. I'd guess them to be fairly old tho. Right now, I've got the amp bridged mono, and wired like this- (not sure what its called, but its how the install place did it in another vehicle)

The wires come from the amp to one sub. From there an additional set of wires goes from the first sub to the second.

Is this the best way to run my system? If not, how should I put it?

Thanks-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, my manual for the amplifier says that in bridged mode, i should have an impedance of 4 ohms or greater. How should I wire it to make sure its not running 2 ohms?

if the subs are SVC (single voice coil), then it sounds like they are wired @8ohms mono. if you were to wire sht subs in parallel, they would be 2 ohms mono. but that's not a good idea.

Is there a way to tell by looking whether they're svc or not? Also, I used to know, but its been a long time... Can you give me an example of wiring 2 subs in parallel, and also in series? which one increases ohms, which reduces? Thanks...

An SVC sub should have two terminals for wire connections, whereas a DVC sub would have four.

To wire subs in series, you connect the negative terminals to the positive terminals, and vice versa. Once we know whether you have SVC or DVC subs, it will make it easier to explain for your situation. To wire in parallel, just connect like terminals together (positive to positive, negative to negative)... Like I said, there are variations and we will explain it exactly once we know how many voice coils are involved.

Wiring in series increases ohms, and parallel decreases ohms.

they are definitally svc then...

ok then. they should be wired like this:
+ on one sub to the + on the amp
the - on that sub to the + on the second sub
the - on the second sub to the - on the amp

You would be better of running the amp in stereo then. Wire one sub to each channel of the amp.

leenjen- So that would be considered wired in series? which, assuming they're 4 ohm subs, would give my amp an 8 ohm level, right?

yes it would be 8 ohms mono wired in series.
i think you're better off keeping it wired at 8 ohms mono then 4 ohms stereo. the amp will put out the same power either way. only mono, both subs will play the same bass frequencies at the same time. and they will get all the bass not just one speaker on the right channel and the other on the left. subwoofers are meant to be mono. that's why there are monoblock subwoofer amps. and dolby digital 5.1 surround (the.1 is a mono subwoofer channel).

Not true there are some Jazz recordings out there that have stereo bass in them. Of all the systems I have done in my days I have never heard a seried DVC sub sound better than running it stereo. I think it is a poor way to get around from buying a amp that can run a 2 ohm mono load.

Back