• Register Today It's free!

Amp too much for sub?

WP7456

Reaction score
City, State
O-town, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
So I "think" my sub is 150 watts rms, I bought it used so I really don't know. It is an older Pioneer model. This is what it looks like: but it is the 12" version. My amp is an older MTX thunder 3202. On the box it says the amp will push 50w x2 @ 4 ohms, and 200w x 1 bridged @ 4 ohms. The real wattage of this specific amp on the certificate is 272, (x1 bridged @ 4 ohms). Basically I just wanted to know if this is too much power and if I should just let one channel run to the sub and just give it 50w rms. Also I could run it at 100w x 2 @ 2 ohms, but I don't think my sub can handle 2 ohms. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just keep the gain down, and run it bridged. you will be fine. but you will eventually blow it up anyway.....

Which model Pioneer sub is it? Most of their low end stuff is only rated ~100-150W, so the 200W input might be a little much. If it's a higher end model though, they handle well over 200W RMS. One channel to the sub would sound weird. If it won't handle the power, sell it and get a sub that will handle 200W.

i like what pilot said, turn the gain on the amp down so the max power isn't running to the sub

only bridge the amp if the amp can handle the load

wait by bridging it does it change the ohms? To my knowledge it's 4 ohms right now, but I know the amp can go down to 2, just not the sub.

no bridging does not change the load, it changes the load the amp can handle but given your specs you should be fine, in pro audio amps are usually rated at twice the power the speakers can handle. the speaker(s) determines the ohm loading, the amp is the one that is limited to which loadings it can handle.

Just don't max out the amp gains like most people think sounds good and should be fine

I've always ran at LEAST 2x the rated RMS to my subs and never blown one (of my own :D). It's all about listening for distress. That amp won't hurt that sub.

This question probably fits in here perfect:
When I'm selecting an amp, would it be better if the amp is rated to a higher rms or lower rms wattage? I would think higher is better since the gain could always be turned down, but is that correct?
I already have an amp picked out, but I would just like some clarification :)

Its better to have an amp that can overpower the speakers...head room is good...better signal quality and less chances of clipping.

Also bridging and amp does change the impedance load the amp sees depending on the wiring

Couldn't agree more. Underpowering isn't the problem itself. It's the person trying to squeeze as much as possible out of it and they end up clipping the amp and blowing the sub. I always overpower just for the reason that youre not straining the amp. You can obviously overpower a sub and blow it too. Once again using common sense and listening to your subs. When you hear fatigue it's time to turn it down.

What do you mean?

I mean, if you're using a 2-channel amp, and only have, say the left channel connected to it for a 50W input rather than a bridged 200W input, you're only gonna get the bass from the left channel to the sub. Any bass from the other channel is left out.

I mean, if you're using a 2-channel amp, and only have, say the left channel connected to it for a 50W input rather than a bridged 200W input, you're only gonna get the bass from the left channel to the sub. Any bass from the other channel is left out.

Sub bass is mono anyway. So you won't miss any sound and it shouldn't sound weird or different, but ya, obviously 200>50.

Sub bass is mono anyway. So you won't miss any sound and it shouldn't sound weird or different, but ya, obviously 200>50.

Almost always. I would like to see manufacturers go back to making subwoofers with some efficiency. Remember when a Punch 150 on a single 12 was absolutely brutal?

Almost always. I would like to see manufacturers go back to making subwoofers with some efficiency. Remember when a Punch 150 on a single 12 was absolutely brutal?

My very first system consisted of the old red and black Punch 40 and two Series1 12s. I later upgraded to Punch 12s. They were in a sealed box and I thought they hit really hard at the time. I don't know how much power that amp was actually making, but it is interesting to see people now throw thousands of watts at subs to get them moving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would have much more to do with how under rated those amps were. I used to have a p-150. Insanely powerful amp.

Back