• Register Today It's free!

Amp wiring.

bp1506

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary,AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
I was just wondering if 8 guage wiring is good enough for running subs and a second amp off of. I have one amp in the back running my subs only off of 8 guage wire and i still havent added the 4 channel amp. i was just going to put a monster power distribution block back there and split it off to the second amp.

Jiust wondering if i should upgrade to 4 guage wiring?

Also my headlights dim with heavy bass, i was thinking of upgrading the alternater. Is changing an altarnater simple just drop it in the place of the old one, or di i need to make othe adustments too?

in that case, i'd run another wire for the 2nd amp. The ideal would be a 5 guage or larger wire run back then put in your distribution block in, but since you already have one wire going back there, it'd be cheaper to just run another wire beside it. I think running both amps off the 8 would melt it around the fuse block, and the ends.

I'm also surprised that your lights are dimming when the bass hits. You didn't mention what wattage the amp was thats running your subs, but if it's from an 8 gauge wire it can't be huge... I'm running a 600 watt amp for my sub, and a 400watt amp for my mids, and my lights still don't dim, unless i turn my 3 130 watt lights on too at idle, then I notice it. I'd try putting another ground wire off of your negative terminal on your battery to your fram or body, and see if that helps the dimming problem.

I used 8 guage wire for my 2 12" l7 solonbarics. When it was turned up loud it would cut out and i never knew why. My friend told me to use thicker wire, and i used 4 guage for the power and the ground and it hits harder than ever. So i recommend using the thickest wire as possible. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the info, i think i will just upgrade to 4 guage wire, i have to run another wire anyway so i'll just do that. yeah and the headlights only dim at idle when i have the bass up, i am running a 400 watt amp for the subs.

Back