Amsoil 0w-30, too light for location? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Amsoil 0w-30, too light for location?

302Xplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I live in south central Va. and will be switching to amsoil w/ my next change. Can I go w/ the 0w-30 in my vehicles w/o any problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

302Xplorer said:
I live in south central Va. and will be switching to amsoil w/ my next change. Can I go w/ the 0w-30 in my vehicles w/o any problem?

Why do you think it might cause problems?

It might get too cold here. Let me admit that I do not know much about diff between 0w -5w and 10w. I was under the impression that the Higher the number the colder temps it could be used at. I apologize if I am totally off base here.

You have it backwards. the 0W will flow better at colder temperatures than a 10w. You are completely safe with the 0W30

...and to add to what dash said...0W-30 and 10W-30 will be the same in hot weather...both will be 30 weight oils.

I use 0w30 in hot Florida. You will be fine using that Amsoil oil.

Good luck ........

I too am thinking about going to 0W-30 to combat winter 12-13 mpg. My only concern would be that the rear main seal is wet on my 94, and I fear the 0W would aggravate that problem. I currently run AMSOIL 10W-30.

Rhett said:
I too am thinking about going to 0W-30 to combat winter 12-13 mpg. My only concern would be that the rear main seal is wet on my 94, and I fear the 0W would aggravate that problem. I currently run AMSOIL 10W-30.

If you are not experiencing leakage now, I seriously doubt the 9w30 will cause any.

Good luck ..........

Thanks for all of you guys' help. I just ordered enough 0w-30 amsoil to do both of my cars and my lawnmower :D (honda). Going to run the amsoil filters for the cars too.

302Xplorer said:
Thanks for all of you guys' help. I just ordered enough 0w-30 amsoil to do both of my cars and my lawnmower :D (honda). Going to run the amsoil filters for the cars too.

Wise selection.

Good luck .....

Back