Amsoil 0W20 Motor Oil...

Kovalchuk

Reaction score
City, State
OTTAWA, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Loaded
Hey guys...

I drive a 2003 Explorer v8 that uses 5W20 Motor Oil. Amsoil claims on its website that their 0W20 is a replacement for 5W20 Motor Oil. It also has a 25000 mile change interval rate and I have heard nothing but positive things about Amsoil.

Is the 0W20 truly a replacement for 5W20 motor oil???

Here is a link of the site so you can check it out in advance.
http://www.thebestoil.com/AMSOILSyntheticMotorOil/Catalog_ProductDetails.aspx?id=924

Thanks in advance!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use their OW30 instead of 5W30. Been happy with the longer drain intervals and somewhat improved fuel economy.

Yes, 0W-20 can be used in place of 5W-20. The 0W or 5W part specifies how the oil behaves in very cold conditions. In the case of 5W oils it has a viscosity of 60,000 cP at -35*C (-31*F) while 0W oil is spec'd at a lower temperature 60,000 cP at -40*C (-40*F) .

The second number indicates the viscosity at "operating" temperature (100C 212F). So both oils are in that viscosity range when the engine is warmed up.

Rumple

Hey guys...
Is the 0W20 truly a replacement for 5W20 motor oil???

H... I have heard nothing but positive things about Amsoil.
The Amsoil engine oil might be fine, but be cautious on their gear oil. My van now has a hum at ~60 mph after I swapped in Amsoil gear oil -- I'll be switching to another brand in a month or so (Royal Purple).

Just a side note. You need to use a high quality oil filter like Amsoil, K&N or Mobil1 to go with a extended change interval. If you go the full 25,000 interval you need to change the filter in the middle of it and add 1qt. of new oil.

Remember it's 25,000 or one year in normal service which ever comes first. For sever service it's 15,000 or one one year, again which ever comes first. As noted, unless you are using a long life oil filter like the Amsoil EaO you may have to change the filter according to Fords schedule.

I have Amsoil SSO 0W-30 in my 2002 V6 Eddie Bauer Explorer and the Amsoil ASM 0W-20 oil in my 2007 Prius. I expect I'll hit the one year mark on both vehicles well before the mileage limit.

Amsoil is high quality stuff and has many very good used oil analyses over at bobistheoilguy.com. I run Amsoil sever gear fully synthetic 75W-140 oil in my Ex's rear diff and it has made it a bit quieter than it was.

Rumple

Hey guys...
It also has a 25000 mile change interval rate and I have heard nothing but positive things about Amsoil.

Thanks for all the info.

I bought the EAO11 filter with it as well... I doubt I will have the balls to go the full 25,000 miles... but I would be glad to get 15-20k solid.

Get an oil analysis done at about 10k, and maybe 15k. Different cars show very different results. My Sienna van can't go 15k, but my Explorer can. Once you have a baseline, you have an interval that protects your engine, and can just spot check it occasionally to make sure that interval is still performing well for you.

I don't understand these long range oil change intervals. The oil may be fantastic! It may stand up to heat, moisture, acid, etc like a nothing else in this world. But the quality of oil has nothing to do with the contaminates that can gather. There is just no way I would ever trust my oil or filter that long. But hey...if it doesn't bother you, more power to you.

Would it be a bad thing to run the 0W20 instead of 5W30?

I don't understand these long range oil change intervals. The oil may be fantastic! It may stand up to heat, moisture, acid, etc like a nothing else in this world. But the quality of oil has nothing to do with the contaminates that can gather. There is just no way I would ever trust my oil or filter that long. But hey...if it doesn't bother you, more power to you.

Well, the filter media that goes a year is synthetic, not paper, so it's made to last longer. Also, if an oil analysis, which checks for levels of all contaminants, backs up the interval, then what's the problem? If you know that the contaminant levels are not too high, that why worry? The oil does have SOMETHING to do with it, because wear metals would be significantly affected by the ability of the oil to lubricate.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

What does an oil analysis cost you? (or the average person?)

I think I pay $20 - maybe $25 with postage. And that includes the TBN. However, I do NOT do an analysis instead of an oil change. I do it to justify my interval occasionally. If I am OK at 15k when I change the oil, then there's no reason why I can't go 15k on the next change. But I guess we've dragged this thread a little off topic ....

Back