• Register Today It's free!

Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 test

Mellotron

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
Scout owner
Here are the results of the recient lab tests of Amsoil and Mobil1. Also below it, see the API Sequence IIIF test that was done using their 10W-30 which maintained it's properties beyond this 80 hour vigorous test.

Dead Link Removed

Thanks,
Ches - Explorer forum sponsor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure how beleivable that test is because the website is obviously biased toward Amsoil. The only way you could get a fair test is to have an independent company do the testing.

Nice study!

I don't run either Mobil 1 or Amsoil, so this isn't biased, just another 'IMO.'

Unfortunately, there's no information about who did the test. If it was the Amsoil Company, then I have to ask about the real validity of the test (it's like Ford saying and testing to prove that Ford's Cars are Better than Chevy's Cars).

And actually, after looking at the numbers in the test, the differential isn't all that much. The only one that really caught my eye was that NOACK test. I guess, it means you have to change the Mobil 1 at shorter intervals than the Amsoil.

I just wish some completely independent oil group, not funded by any oil company at all, would waste their own money and do a full blown test of all the synthetics out there. You never know, some other company might take the cake over both Amsiol and Mobil 1!

Well, it's still an interesting test and it's cool to see how the oil industry is so competitive!

But again, Mellotron, thanks for posting that study!

Ry.

There are better synthetic oils out there

Torco, NEO, even RedLine and some of the European brands - can't remember off hand...are better than Amsoil.

PERSONAL OPINION...Amsoil is no better than any other good synthetic and they are an MLM.

I would not want the same oil in my vehicle for 10-20-30-40K miles....you must be nuts. I know that oil does not wear out, but still.

I don't see what the big deal with Amsoil is. I switched the diff oil on my PowerStroke expecting 'some' improvement....NOT !!!

Let the flame war begin.....

At least Ches posted a test and data results. Where is the lab analysis data supporting your opinion?

i can speak from personal experience about Amsoil. I switch to it in my old '89 F150. The mpg immediately increased from 12mph to 14mpg. I ran taht oil in the engine for about 22k miles. The color of the oil didn't change that much at all. I ran the 20w-50 oil and was very pleased with the results. I changed the Amsoil oil filter every 7500 like the recommended and had no problems whatsoever. And the changed to amsoil came at near 100k miles on the F150. So yes it does work and works very well.

well i figured they claim 12 months of 25k miles so i'd see how close i could get. i think the 12 months ran out first so i didn't quite make it to 25k.

Re: There are better synthetic oils out there

Originally posted by 02expsport

I don't see what the big deal with Amsoil is. I switched the diff oil on my PowerStroke expecting 'some' improvement....NOT !!!
What measurement were you relying on to determine if there was an improvement?

Originally posted by DeagleDave
well i figured they claim 12 months of 25k miles so i'd see how close i could get. i think the 12 months ran out first so i didn't quite make it to 25k.
So did you stick with Amsoil?

stuck with it till i sold it. sold it to a guy who worked for me at that time. i think the amsoil was a little pricey for him so he switched back to dino oil. I just passed over 177k on my Xplorer and just did the intake and valve cover gaskets (stopped the leaks) and am not sure as to whether i want to do amsoil or not? I could use some opinions if anyone cares to venture them

How much does Amsoil cost? It's hard to know what to do without this number. I don't trust the number I've seen on the web because if you go through a dealer it usually is less expensive. I bought some Amsoil ATF and it ended up being about the same as Mobile 1 ATF. If it's the same as Mobile 1 or possibly slightly higher I would switch. I'm not going to do 25k mile drain interval to justify the price!

well for me (bear in mind i'm a dealer) it's like 5.25 a quart for 20w-50 oil and like 4.25 or so for 10w-30. and multiply that by 5 plus about 6-7 for the filter i think (it's been a while) so it's bout 30 bucks if you change it yourself. well worth it IMO if you're looking that route.

amsoil vs mobil1

I'm sure you wont go wrong with either Mobil1 or Amsoil. What I disagree with is the 10,000 or 20,000 mile change interval many Amsoil users are espousing. While it may be true that the synthetic base stock does not break down, the same can not be said about the detergent and dispersant additive packages in the oil. Plus no filters (even bypass filters) are 100% effective. This means junk will continue to build up in your oil as you drive. While 3000 mile intervals may be excessive, I think 20,000 mile intervals are silly.

3000 miles intervals are not excessive. and bear in mind an amsoil oil filter is superior in it's ability to filter even smaller particles. if i remember correctly they filter to 1/10 of a micron. and i changed the filter every 7500 miles or so. and i never once experienced problems with that truck's engine. in fact it's still running fine with over 140k on the engine.

I'm always very skeptical of "studies" performed or sponsored by companies that have a vested interest in the products being tested.

It's similar to the "research" on all those herabl supplements that are floating around. If you do dalittle research, you'll find out that the journals that perform and publish these studies are owned and run by the herbal companies.

You've got to remove any bias for it to be a valid study. If the Society for Automotive Engineers (SAE) had done it, then I'd be alittle more accepting of the results. Having a strong scientific background has
taught me to be a little skeptical of all these claims.

I think the superior filtering of the Amzoil filter applies to the bypass filter. Did you run with the bypass filter? Otherwise I think a Mobile 1 or K&N or a couple other high end brands are as good if not better than the Amzoil Filter. I run K&N filters myself.

Originally posted by DocVijay
I'm always very skeptical of "studies" performed or sponsored by companies that have a vested interest in the products being tested.

It's similar to the "research" on all those herabl supplements that are floating around. If you do dalittle research, you'll find out that the journals that perform and publish these studies are owned and run by the herbal companies.

You've got to remove any bias for it to be a valid study. If the Society for Automotive Engineers (SAE) had done it, then I'd be alittle more accepting of the results. Having a strong scientific background has
taught me to be a little skeptical of all these claims.
I don't think it's quite as bad as herbal supplement testing since that's not an exact science, but I agree there is room for fudging the numbers. And as far as SAE testing, they are tested to the various standards in order to put the qualification on the label.

I am sure Amzoil is a good product based upon what I've heard and read but the problem I have with these comparisons is they test only at the extremes. I would bet if they compared the oil at the top end of the temperature or pressure range that a TYPICAL engine would see the difference between the performance would be less. If you look a bit closer to the temperature specs for flash point etc you will see they they are only 10 degrees F apart. The likelyhood that an engine will operate even close to those numbers is unlikely. So in some sense the data is not relevant. Test them at a lower point and see what happens is what I say.

I'm considering switching to Amzoil as an experiment in gas mileage on my Toyota just for kicks. If there's an improvement then I'll switch from Mobile 1. If not, then M1 it is.

rgiles...superior filtering is in all amsoil filters. and bear in mind amsoil was originally designed for aircraft then they decided to make it available for passenger vehicles. all i know is what i experienced and i've been happy. i even had the drop in air filter from amsoil. it was a foam filter that i had to oil....it was nice

Originally posted by rgiles
I don't think it's quite as bad as herbal supplement testing since that's not an exact science, but I agree there is room for fudging the numbers. And as far as SAE testing, they are tested to the various standards in order to put the qualification on the label.

Yes, you're right. The tests they performed are standardized tests. I was a bit overzealous in trying to debunk "false" research.

By no means am I trying to say Amsoil is a bad product. It's not. Is it better than Mobil 1, maybe. I don't know, and I'm not about to take Amsoil's word for it.

The way I see it, you really can't go wrong with either. I know Mobil 1 synthetic is an excelletn oil. You could therefore assume Amsoil is an excellent oil also, as it's directly compared with Mobil 1. I really don't think there is a siginificant enough difference to say if one is better than the other.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by DeagleDave
rgiles...superior filtering is in all amsoil filters. and bear in mind amsoil was originally designed for aircraft then they decided to make it available for passenger vehicles. all i know is what i experienced and i've been happy. i even had the drop in air filter from amsoil. it was a foam filter that i had to oil....it was nice
It's superior to a fram or a stock Motorcraft and most other brands I agree. I was simply questioning the sub micron claim and I don't think they are any better than a K&N Gold filter. The Amzoil filter filters down to the 10 micron range I think. I have an Amzoil filter and it definitely isn't as heavy of a can as a K&N.

I'd love to be wrong, but my understanding is to get below 10 micron's for a filter you need a bypass filter. Otherwise the filters become too restrictive and you end up opening up the bypass valve more often which would be counter productive. If you have some information that can show me where I'm going wrong please post it.

Thanks

Back