• Register Today It's free!

An attempt @ adding sync to a PIU

KimJSuperStar

Reaction score
City, State
Bunker, Nearby
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
In 2015 I purchased 2014 PIU at auction for $1500 after it was rear ended by a small Illinois towns infamous drunk driver. The chief hated Fords and wanted a Tahoe so he sent the car to the Ford dealer for a repair estimate, and of course it was totaled because OEM parts are expensive.

For years I have been putting up with the made in China aftermarket panels but they all suffer the same problems. They are $800 a pop, the software is absuletely garbage, they don't fair well in hot weather and the buttons and panels stop working over time.
Here we are now eight years later and the same generation of explorer has lots of after market support including the ability to upgrade to sync 3, meanwhile those of us rolling around in PIUs get left behind.

Two weeks ago my third after market panel died, so I have decided to break down and try to make this work with parts from E-Bay. There are some people out there who claim that they have gotten this to work, but wont explain in detail how they did it. So here my attempt and trying to make this work, I am hoping some people smarter than me will be willing to chime in so we can put this to bed once and for all.

To date I have purchased the following hardware:

Sync 2 APIM and Screen with Part DT4T-14F239-AD
4 to 8 inch sync adapter harness for a 2014 ford explorer:
8 inch automatic temperature control panel with out Sony option: FB5T-18A802-EA
HVAC Control Module: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/control-modules/control-6454893-1?pdp=y (On the way)
A Sync Control Module: EB5T-14B428-AA

So here is how assembly and testing went:

Removed the HVAC interface panel
Removed the 4 inch screen and disconnected the connector attached to it.
Removed the receiver and disconnected the single 56 pin connector
Removed the original HVAC control module and disconnected the 26 pin connector, inserting the adaptor harness, and the reconnecting the original 26 pin connector
Reinstalled the original HVAC control module
Installed the 56 pin adapter into the harness and than back into the receiver
Plugged the remaining portion of the adapter harness into the unconnected open slot on the receiver
Feed the power cable down from the harness to the media hub
Feed the two USB cables down from the sync 2 module to the media hub
Reinstalled the receiver, Installed the 8 inch display, plugged the new 8 inch HVAC interface

End State:

Wiring Shortages:

There is no place to plug in the 56 pin connector portion of the adapter harness. When I watch videos on youtube of explorer owners doing radio swaps, this harness exists.
My interceptor did not have anything plugged into the right hand side of the receiver, but the sync adapter harness has a plug that plugs into it to tap two wires but there is no harness from the car for the female side of the plug to mate with.

CAN Bus / Programing Issues

The end result of all of this was that the screen would not turn on, the HVAC panel would provide an audio confirmation that it was receiving the commands but would not actually do anything. The radio portion of the panel was inoperative. So I left the 8 inch screen in but plugged in the 4 inch screen and sure enough some interesting things started happening, the panel worked normally.

What was intresting was that I got some indicators on the 4 inch screen that I have never seen before and the temperature was being shown in multiple places. Makes me suspect that the HVAC interface panel itself is the temeperature probe for the automatic air conditioner.

Most explorers shipped with automatic air conditioning controls. The interceptors were entirely manual. I proved that the multi-zone AC interface panel is capable of running in single zone, but I suspect that there is a dependency on a more featured module.

Researching the sync unit not starting I found out that the unit requires CAN Bus commands to start. So I need to confirm that the sync module is getting CAN bus signals, this lead me down the rabit hole and eventually to forscan.

There is an option code for APIM enable, but to enable that value requires the automatic HVAC module. The manual HVAC module is very limited, but the automatic one has a lot of extra can bus items on it like heated and air conditioned seats. Makes sense while the basic one isnt programable.

Since there is an APIM option I am testing the theory that the APIM gets is start control command from the HVAC module can bus. I also noted that some major companies selling 4 inch to 8 inch kits are including this module as well. Makes since as forscan also has options to disable any features not in use at the module level.

Focusing on the missing 56 pin connector, the adaptor harness expects to use about 14 of those pins. But I don't see a place to tap into that is obvius.

There is a capped 2 or 4 pin connector left of center just below where the center console meets the dashboard, there is a capped ~28 pin connector with power on the right hand side affixed to the exoskelton of the dashboard, and of course there are the two police service taps center.

I am hoping that maybe there is a connector that is untapped that can just be adapted, but havent quite been able to find it. It looks like in the wiring diagram that it goes behind the dash into the BCM harness and I don't see anything easy accessible. This requires more research.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Kim. :wave:
I'm not familiar with all the workings here but did find this post in another threads about the same thing; 2016 PIU with no SYNC upgrade installed
There are a few threads on adding sync to a PIU.
I don't know if there is any helpful info in those threads or not. Good luck.

Peter

if you didn’t do any research on the forscan bits to enable or edit than you will never get this to work. I spent a good amount of time comparing numerous vehicles just to get police snyc added properly.

After replacing my USB to ODBII adapter for forscan the modules that were missing showed up and so I followed your instructions to enable the bits in the modules. The challenge I am having now is finding the right pins to convert the 12 pin FCIM to the 52 pin APIM connector. Currently waiting on an entire dashboard harness from a limited ford explorer to see whats different.

It seems that the 12 pin for the FCIM has HSCAN and MSCAN pins plus power, but I am hoping the original explorer harness will show what goes
where and I can just repin at the BCM repin the 12PIN to the 52 PIN and add the remaining five or so wires in a separate harness to the BCM.

Last weekend I got the harness and spent quite a bit of time picking it apart. There were many useful connectors on it and it has been very helpful in determining where syncs various connectors hook into from the 52 pin APIM. However, today was the first day that I got the screen to light up. It does appear that it's not quite working 100% as I am getting an error that the entertainment system is not available and the radio just gives me static, but I broke one of the pins pushing it into the harness connector and I suspect that bus is probably one that the APIM is using to connect to the ACM. Picture proof that it can work and the instructions from others are valid.

sync_round_01.jpg

Which instructions have you been using?

There is not a step by step guide that I have found, but I was able to piece together the programing data and basic details from these threads.
I am hoping to produce a how to guide as that would make things alot easier for this conversion. I took pictures of everything and will post here when I get it fully working a more detailed guide on how to do this.

There is not a step by step guide that I have found, but I was able to piece together the programing data and basic details from these threads.
I am hoping to produce a how to guide as that would make things alot easier for this conversion. I took pictures of everything and will post here when I get it fully working a more detailed guide on how to do this.

Looking forward to it!

Last weekend I got the harness and spent quite a bit of time picking it apart. There were many useful connectors on it and it has been very helpful in determining where syncs various connectors hook into from the 52 pin APIM. However, today was the first day that I got the screen to light up. It does appear that it's not quite working 100% as I am getting an error that the entertainment system is not available and the radio just gives me static, but I broke one of the pins pushing it into the harness connector and I suspect that bus is probably one that the APIM is using to connect to the ACM. Picture proof that it can work and the instructions from others are valid.

View attachment 439645
Any luck so far? I basically have done the same as you are. I got to the point where you are in this picture. All of the equipment seems to run. Radio, CD, Etc.. However. I had an issue where GPS is never found. I thought I had the GPS module set in correctly. I keep getting the 911 assist error and my touchscreen will not respond. You get this same issue? I have attempted to remove all 911/GPS items I could and I still see the problem. Other than that... All else seems to work.

Any help would be great even though this is an old thread now.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

hahh posts no useful information for others, just demanding help. wow, the genz mentality... i wouldnt even reply @KimJSuperStar

hahh posts no useful information for others, just demanding help. wow, the genz mentality... i wouldnt even reply @KimJSuperStar
Wow.. talk about mentality, you sir should learn to read as I gave valid information. I posted I did the same as he did, before I even read his original post I did the same exact thing with the harness etc. albeit I did it just a little differently. Even before I found this forum. I read and researched. Read all of his well laid out instructions and he and I did pretty much identical work. Took snapshots of what I did. researched all types of bus information. Studied. Read more. Made the effort to register and contribute if he didn't find the answer then maybe I could persist and figure it out. But what is the hurt in asking someone IF they did and just didn't post it? If I can figure it out I would share.

mrdot, you are the reason why people become bitter and keep information to themselves. I didn't demand. I won't let you be the representation of the others on this forum. I will find the answer to this problem if it hasn't been found before. I however, don't like to redesign the wheel. I also read through many posts in this forum and it brought me here. Being I followed what he did I didn't see a conclusion to his outcome either.

Your move is worse than providing "no useful information".

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter
Thank you! :) Lots of good information in here. Wish i would have discovered this forum much sooner! Would have made life a little easier haha

View attachment 439645
I did find out that the MS network cable had a break in it when I was move the cable around and I was able to repair it. The GPS unit did find itself and was finally working correctly. I had no resistance on one leg of that cable. It was interesting that there had been nothing other than the GPS that was not responding here. I thought that was odd being that the GPIM and the RCM was disconnected completely from the MSCAN. From another post and schematic it looks like the steering wheel and passenger door controller hooks in to this network. I don't have the heated steering wheel so I never moved over this module. Last check I ran, the passenger door module showed a DTC communications error to the BCM. I left everything at this point and figured to do more research on that SYNC 2 to figure out the touchscreen issue as there is still no response on the screen.

i'll post in any updates.

Below if anyone needs a simple view of some pins, I found the following posts helpful:

Wow.. talk about mentality, you sir should learn to read as I gave valid information. I posted I did the same as he did, before I even read his original post I did the same exact thing with the harness etc. albeit I did it just a little differently. Even before I found this forum. I read and researched. Read all of his well laid out instructions and he and I did pretty much identical work. Took snapshots of what I did. researched all types of bus information. Studied. Read more. Made the effort to register and contribute if he didn't find the answer then maybe I could persist and figure it out. But what is the hurt in asking someone IF they did and just didn't post it? If I can figure it out I would share.

mrdot, you are the reason why people become bitter and keep information to themselves. I didn't demand. I won't let you be the representation of the others on this forum. I will find the answer to this problem if it hasn't been found before. I however, don't like to redesign the wheel. I also read through many posts in this forum and it brought me here. Being I followed what he did I didn't see a conclusion to his outcome either.

Your move is worse than providing "no useful information".
you literally offered nothing from your post about what you found out during you attempt or provided any additional information about your install to help others out, then tell me off and post a link to my 4.2" 13-15 sync guide. Love it.

also, had your install went "well" you wouldn't even be here most likely.

I did find out that the MS network cable had a break in it when I was move the cable around and I was able to repair it. The GPS unit did find itself and was finally working correctly. I had no resistance on one leg of that cable. It was interesting that there had been nothing other than the GPS that was not responding here. I thought that was odd being that the GPIM and the RCM was disconnected completely from the MSCAN. From another post and schematic it looks like the steering wheel and passenger door controller hooks in to this network. I don't have the heated steering wheel so I never moved over this module. Last check I ran, the passenger door module showed a DTC communications error to the BCM. I left everything at this point and figured to do more research on that SYNC 2 to figure out the touchscreen issue as there is still no response on the screen.

i'll post in any updates.

Below if anyone needs a simple view of some pins, I found the following posts helpful:
did this 2016 (assuming from sig) have sync prior?

this whole 8" guide so far is missing a key piece of information that you need to make sure you have a replacement compatible year sirius acm that is set to with sync and with 8” screen. if you're trying to mirror a factory install.

this whole 8" guide so far is missing a key piece of information that you need to make sure you have a replacement compatible year sirius acm that is set to with sync and with 8” screen. if you're trying to mirror a factory install.
Copy that..

The donor was a 2016 XLT. The PIU is a non-SYNC base unit. I took the entire wiring harness, ACM, GPS, Etc. from this unit. Even the BCM. Only things I lacked are the steering wheel and the mic. I spliced in to the original harness (I did do my homework as I am not afraid to read first before asking for help) and made certain to test the leads back to their home. It is a sirrus unit and everything from the XLT has been moved over. Only thing hanging up on me is the 911 assist. I did determine that the 4 lead on the digitizer was actually defective. It was rotten from cleaner or something <shrug>. I have one on order. Cheap $17.00 replacement on a SYNC 2 on Ebay for those needing to find one. Apparently I can disable the 911 issue once I get the digitizer installed but that will be determined when I get it and install it. I did read somewhere that without a camera installed you can get the 911 error? I havent disabled the camera from the rearview mirror or moved the wiring (I kind of like it on the mirror). Maybe I will enable the bus camera option. I had read about that too but I figured to just hold for the minute until I get the parts in to fix the touchscreen.

I did realize that the BCM needs to have the networks enabled. That was a step I had done after bench testing the other BCM to see the settings listed on it. They look pretty much identical now.

I do not mean any disrespect and if linked your other material it was because it proved to be valuable. Lots of information on here and I have read quite a bit. Good stuff on this forum. As far as going well... Honestly, I jumped in to this after doing a lot of reading knowing it may be all for not. But hey... Why not ;). May have not gone so "well" but I will find a way even if I need to reverse engineer the APIM. Even though I know its a lot for just a radio, but I do like the factory functionality albeit the SYNC seems bugy at best. Curious as to the 1394 on the unit that isn't populated.

Copy that..

The donor was a 2016 XLT. The PIU is a non-SYNC base unit. I took the entire wiring harness, ACM, GPS, Etc. from this unit. Even the BCM. Only things I lacked are the steering wheel and the mic. I spliced in to the original harness (I did do my homework as I am not afraid to read first before asking for help) and made certain to test the leads back to their home. It is a sirrus unit and everything from the XLT has been moved over. Only thing hanging up on me is the 911 assist. I did determine that the 4 lead on the digitizer was actually defective. It was rotten from cleaner or something <shrug>. I have one on order. Cheap $17.00 replacement on a SYNC 2 on Ebay for those needing to find one. Apparently I can disable the 911 issue once I get the digitizer installed but that will be determined when I get it and install it. I did read somewhere that without a camera installed you can get the 911 error? I havent disabled the camera from the rearview mirror or moved the wiring (I kind of like it on the mirror). Maybe I will enable the bus camera option. I had read about that too but I figured to just hold for the minute until I get the parts in to fix the touchscreen.

I did realize that the BCM needs to have the networks enabled. That was a step I had done after bench testing the other BCM to see the settings listed on it. They look pretty much identical now.

I do not mean any disrespect and if linked your other material it was because it proved to be valuable. Lots of information on here and I have read quite a bit. Good stuff on this forum. As far as going well... Honestly, I jumped in to this after doing a lot of reading knowing it may be all for not. But hey... Why not ;). May have not gone so "well" but I will find a way even if I need to reverse engineer the APIM. Even though I know its a lot for just a radio, but I do like the factory functionality albeit the SYNC seems bugy at best. Curious as to the 1394 on the unit that isn't populated.
I have discovered the issue. I missed the option in the RCM. Emergency call needed to be enabled. Once that was done all is good! Everything works like it should. With the exception of the digitizer that is. I will assume everything else is working correctly until then.

Hopefully this little but will help someone else in the future. The conversion from a NON SYNC to a SYNC 2 is possible. With stock PIU steering wheel, stock BCM, but the rest with donor parts with working GPS.

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have discovered the issue. I missed the option in the RCM. Emergency call needed to be enabled. Once that was done all is good! Everything works like it should. With the exception of the digitizer that is. I will assume everything else is working correctly until then.

Hopefully this little but will help someone else in the future. The conversion from a NON SYNC to a SYNC 2 is possible. With stock PIU steering wheel, stock BCM, but the rest with donor parts with working GPS.

View attachment 450559

sync guide

are you talking about the rcm preprogrammed option to enable 911 assist, that would've been by reply. also, please confirm your parts list you added to this retrofit, link to the harness used and a scan of any dtc's currently showing. i'm sure you have at least one or two.

are the talk features working and do you have rear aux a/c?

Back