• Register Today It's free!

an occasional CLUNK when I turn.

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
So I've noticed lately that occasionally when I turn, I get this nice loud clunk/thud from under the truck. Nothing in the front end seems loose or warn nor does the car handle any differently but something tells me its not good whatever it is. Any Ideas? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's 4x4, it's possible your front CV shaft(s) are getting worn and binding when turning?

it is 4x4. Now lets say I allow them to prolong, nothing negative can come of that right?

They(it) will get worse. You'll eventually need to replace them(it). If the noise is loud enough to record, take a video of the sound. Make sure the radio is off and the windows are up:D

I will, but it only happens sometimes so it's tough. We'll see what I can do. OH! I forgot to mention, it definitely happens more when I'm backing into my driveway, so in reverse turning almost lock to lock from right to left. It seems to happen once I pass the 0 mark on the wheel. I don't know if that makes a difference.

maybe have somebody else back the car up slowly while you are outside of it and see if it helps you pinpoint the noise. Also does it make the noise when the tires are at uneven heights, say if your tires hit a speed bump at different times, or if you ran over one diagnally, anyways heard stories of the sway bar bushings going bad and making clunking noises when the suspension is uneven because the sway bar has two different support/flex points. So one side will make the noise and the other will not. My 1993 makes a similar noise and still trying to pinpoint it. Hope it helps out and makes sense, its kinda hard to explain.

I get what you're saying, I actually just changed the sway bar bushings because I thought that's what it was but it wasn't. I'm gonna go for a drive now, i'll see if it happens and try to video it.

Back