An update on the resurection

zerodevil

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 White Limited V8
Well, as today the transmission is back into my truck and all of the bells and whistles are bolted back on. Tomorrow it is getting towed to the local exhaust shop to have a custom y-pipe fabricated. This all started about a month ago when my transmission finally went out on me, after 140,000 miles...servo bore ware. My philosophy from the begining has been to use somthing untill it breaks, then to repace it with somthing better. So in following of this tradition i made plans to upgade the 5r55w in my explorer.

So here is what i have had done,
A shift technologies valve body correction and shift kit package Item #Superior K5R55W/N/S
OEM - Master overhaul kit
New Misc internal hard parts (fried my OD drum for sure)
TCI hardened input shaft
TCI Overdrive jumbo servo
TCI Intermediate Jumbo servo
TCI Breakaway torque converter (2500 stall)
Performance Automatic high capacity fluid pan w/ fill tube
Hayes heavy duty flex plate
ARP flex-plate bolts
2005 mustange GT starter

As with everything that i end up doing to this truck, there were a few snags from the mentioned modifications. To start with the filler tube for the new pan runs right up where the EGR pipe is (on my 4x4 V8 at least), and some bending was required. I ended up having to bend it to lay between the EGR pipe and the engine block, I wraped both the EGR pipe and the filler tube in header wrap to minimize heat transfer, but in truth i am not worried, the tube is steel and shouldnt have any heat issues.
Also the new flex-plate required the purchase of a new starter motor, the teeth on the explorer fexplate are aprox 1/2 in more rearward than the heavy duty plate i perchased (designed for a 5r55s), and thus the explorer starter was too long, a simple swap to a (2005) mustang gt solved my issue.
The Performance automatic pan while awesome in the fact that it adds 4 qts of fluid, heat-sink fins, and a filler tube, requires that the exhaust be re-routed, Im not sure what i am going to have done to it tomorrow, but i will certainly post some pictures when all is said and done.

With all of this i am expecting to see some faster 0-60 times, smoother shifts and more secure lock up. When i get the truck from the exhaust shop tomorrow afternoon i will snap some pictures and get a new 0-60 video done. If you have questions or would like pictures of anything please let me know so i can try and accomodate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Be aware that pan won't fit without custom exhaust run or raising the drivetrain...
Trust me I have one on mine...
I noticed firmer shifts and 20 degree cooler operation... I just fabbed a heat shield that helped me save 5 degrees
Can't wait! I'm ordering my 4.56 gears and ls front and rear finally!
For the record trans is painted grey and transfer case ford blue+want to paint diffs blue as well then @ 115k my whole drivetrain has been replaced/remanufactured

7582192256_c9282e19e0.jpg

IMAG0510 by billyssingle, on Flickr

Also.... The oe steel pan had a large doughnut magnet in it to catch debris that cannot be reused on aluminum nor can be just tossed in... Here's my solution with the same magnet but on the bottom of my external filter.. I've wheeled it its not coming off
7582219718_4bd7d150a7.jpg

IMAG0517 by billyssingle, on Flickr

i knew i was forgetting somthing! In all of this chaos i forgot to order the remote filter kit, I will have to buy a new bucket and a magnetic shroud with it too, just put 16 qt's or royal purple in.. lol thanks for the reminder!

**UPDATE**
Well she drives great with that new 2500 stall, im pretty sure i shaved a full second off of my 0-60 times! and the transmission shifts smooth as silk. My PCM doesnt like the fact that my TQ converter slips and keeps sending me a code about a sliping torque converter (no really?!?), so i am looking into additional tuning right now. I didnt get her home untill 9 pm last night so there wasnt time to get any under the truck pictures, i will make sure that happens tonight. Any requests for car ****?

The next step on my build is going to be replacing the rear bumper cover assembly, the rear window aplique, and adding a wings west spoiler designed for the explorer, and a very well made hood scoop. Also new LED tail lights, need to get with the times.

Also looking into a custom performance brake system upgrade, i will keep you posted.

In october i am getting a T2R torsen differential and new 3.73 gears from motive gear. which is all going to be held togeather by a new yukon gear master overhaul kit.

Tax season this upcoming year there is going to be trickflow heads + stage one comp cams.

After that comes Paint (getting it redone in grabber blue, with a 10 inch wide black stripe), Rims (20x8 front, 20x10 rear), and finally a fully built engine + supercharger + supporing mods. those last few phases are a few years off, i have a daughter and a wife to think about now haha.

Anyways feel free to ask away, I will post on my new fuel efficency (or rather inefficency) when i go to fill up after my next full tank(starting with a half tank atm)

why not 410s? what size tire are you going to run?

In truth because i am not wanting to spend the extra money on the front differential to have it rebuilt and regeared as well. When i goto the full engine build im going to have this truck converted into a 2wd, so i can fit a propper sized oil pan and system under the truck. In the mean time i like to drive this truck in the winter and resulting loads of snow haha. I need to speak to the experts before i dive off that ledge, if i can convert to AWD and somehow manage to upgrade the oil capacity as well i would love to do that, AWD launches are amazing to watch, and its the main reason SRT-8 jeeps and SSTB's are as mean as they are on the streats.
Also in all actuality may very well convert to 4.10's once all is said and done, and im not driving this around town for fun as much. This new torque converter really improved the low end response already to be honest.. if go straight from the brake to WOT, it will break the back tires loose from a stop.. i will post a 0-60 video shortly.

Food for thought... Im 3.73 now and have just ordered a set of 4.56 if youd be interested...also ordered a true trac for the front(ls rear) can't wait...
Do both so you can press 4hi to launch and then turn it off......

Hey Zerodevil, have you though about adding a remote oil and bypasss filter setup? Adding the two larger filters will increase capacity without changing the oil pan itself.

actually thats a great idea! if i added an inline cooler into the mix i could get the added cooling as well.. Thanks for the idea matt! It looks like i may be able to swing an AWD rig after all, wifes going to love the idea of having another diff rebuild haha. Im about to get off work, ill take another 0-60 and some under-body pictures tonight and get them posted ASAP.

actually thats a great idea! if i added an inline cooler into the mix i could get the added cooling as well.. Thanks for the idea matt! It looks like i may be able to swing an AWD rig after all, wifes going to love the idea of having another diff rebuild haha. Im about to get off work, ill take another 0-60 and some under-body pictures tonight and get them posted ASAP.

A few years back i looked into this.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

money made it never come to reality. But, you can add siginificantly larger oil and bypass oil filters to increase capacity.

Well, Under-advice from James Hesnon, i am getting the OD light diagnosed. He cannot ever recall a p0741 from an aftermarket high stall converter. the problem is that between the shift kit from superior transmission and the 2500 high stall torque converter, there are two large issues that could be causing this flash. the truck runs and shifts beautifully. the only physical symptom i have that hints at an issue is a "supercharger" like whine from the torque converter housing, that increases with RPM. I would love some advice here ^_^ EXPERTS!?!

I'd hit up Rocket5979 to see if he knows. Might also want to say something to Mounty03 since he swapped in a completely different trans and may have experience.

Edit: The only thing I have experience with is when the throwout bearing in my Mustang went bad. It sounded like a supercharger whine and screamed when revved:D

Now you don't have a throwout bearing, but I was wondering if new bearing where install in the trans when you had it rebuilt? For example the input shaft? Did they have to press any bearings on?

Lastly, if you paid a shop to do the work, I would notify them ASAP and ask what's up.

The pump could be misaligned...It whines maybe to 4k(guessing more with stall) and goes just after a shift only to come back??

Truck blew the front line off of the AT cooler last night and is back at the shop already, the owner was rather suprised at getting a truck back, a mear 50 miles after a rebuild, if they try and blame a hose blow out on a torque converter i will likely meet them in small claims court. Ill update later today when i go see what they have discovered. Hopefully it didnt ruin my new rebuild, as i drove a half mile while draining fluid out of the trans, no symptoms were present, i saw i was trailing on the pavement and i pulled off and killed her, but well see.

best part is i actually brought it to them day before yesterday and they gave it a clean bill fo health and blamed the whole thing on the computer.. needless to say i expect them to make this right, and no or little cost to me.

Damn, that sucks. Hope it gets sorted out quickly.

Shop got me taken care of, they pulled the pan, inspected the trans, filled it with 10 more quarts of royal purple, and let me drive it around while they did an active data monitor on me.. all for FREE. The superior trans shift kit almost doubled line pressure in the cooler lines. The old crimp clamps just had it. I have plans to replace the rubber lines and nipples with braided steel and AN fittings. Truck is going in with a verified bill of clean health on the 3rd, for a dyno tune. I'll keep ya updated.. but it should be ok with the new clamps on the lines.

Im still getting mixed signals from james at henson performance, and from every single other person i have called. I feel like there is to much of a conflict of interest for my transmission shop (who may have botched somthing) to tell me its good to go, and i dont feel james can really have a good look or understanding of the rig from 7500 miles away, So i am going to have the performance shop take a look at it with their tech and an active data loger. My research has shown in any event that the code p0741 (torque converter lock up solenoid stuck off) doesnt nessasarily mean that the solenoid is not working, and that its actual trigger event is when the PCM measures to much slip when the solenoid is engaged. I want to ensure that the computer is mesuring the TCS as engaged when it should be, and that the torque converter is just slipping because it is a high stall. that being the case i am going to be getting an SCT custom license for this truck, and a $300 dyno tune (vids!!!!) on or around the 3rd.

Long story short guys, I was able to confirm that while the Solenoid is engaging, there is no mechanical lock up. I was going to attempt to shim the torque converter between the flexplate and the TC, but there is not enough room to sucessfully do so. I am going to be removing the transmission this weekend again. The transmission is going to go back to the shop for a very, very, very thorough going over (complete dissasembly and verification of propper assembly), and i will be measuring the distances nessasry to propperly shim this TC. The next step is going to be installing grade 8 double ended studs, so i can install the shims prior to installing the transmission. I would also like to get braided steel lines installed on the cooler run. It would be sweet to go ahead and try a 5.4 swap at this time, but im pretty sure my other half would beat me to death if i even mentioned the idea hahaha. Updates to follow.

P.s. I did managed a successfuly 0-60, just with these upgrades i managed to take nearly a second off of my run! thats right kissing 6 seconds flat, if not in the fives.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hope it works out for you!!!

Also, get it to the STRIP so we(I;)) can see some #'s. I want to know how far off I am from you in the 1/4 mile.

Back