And so the engine build begins..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

And so the engine build begins.....

2002GreyHD150

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD
And so the engine build begins.....PICS added 11/16

well about a month ago, out of the blue a strange "knock-tap-rattle" combo started. out of no where...

the Mountaineer has 181, 183 on the clock as I pulled it into the bay at work tonight.. has been rock solid and never had anything other than regular service items needed.

I checked all the "hope, REALLY hope it this" stuff like torque converter bolts loose, timing chain tensioners stuck... a lil motor-honey... trying to nurse it a lil longer... well no luck... its in the bottom end somewhere... so today I started the tear down. I got all the top stuff all pulled off/loose and laying on the engine to pull it tuesday night after work. then I can get it on a stand and roll it over to inspect the bearings...

i thought I would start a "build log" so others can see what goes into a pull and swap/rebuild.

Depending on what I find on the compression test then crank/rod bearing inspection will dictate a overhaul or complete swap to a low-mile used engine.

If the compression is 180+ and even on all 8... then I will even swap a crank and bearings.. I know the heads are fine. I will simply replace the lash adjusters and valve stem seals just cuz I am there. but if the compression is solid... no need to re-ring or mess with guides or other parts. if the compression is low, then its a full rebuild and time is the issue. So a low-mile used long block will go in or I will build a performance-oriented short block to set the foundation for future plans.

Pics and details will start tomorrow night.. hope it might help some others in extending their ownership as well.

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I happen to be going through one of these kinds of situations myself. It is taking me a long time to get it done because I only get about one day a week to work on it, and it is my first time swapping an engine. I have a back up car, so time is not really that important to me.

How did the oil look? Anything in the bottom of the oil pan? Any oil pressure issues?

The bearings gave out at 186,006 miles for my engine.

lol Mike...

good questions:

Oil Pressure according to OE gauge fine and never an oil light. for the value that is. I have a rectangular Dakota Digital Green LED Oil Pressure and Trans Temp Gauges on the way to mount in the area under the radio/HVAC in the forward part of the console. So I can monitor from now on in REAL time.

Oil Has always looked great. No debris, shavings or carnage. I pulled the driver's cam cover off and the head/valley/cam/seals all look brand new. I guess that is a testament to regular oil changes.. I will be down loading pics of everything tomorrow night after I run compression test and such.. I have a pic of the heads... I will say thought I did feel the faintest hint of grit in the oil on the cam lobes...

MPG is the crazy one... could just be from driving it easier because of the various noises but we've always had 16-17.5 mpg combined from day one... now I am seeing 18-19.2 mpg... lol

I am going to wager that the compression test is 180++++ and that its a lower bearing issue. If so... awesome.. even if I have to have the crank turned (2-day turn around) I will be able to put her all back together next weekend and cut my expense in 1/2.

Rob

Subscribing to this. Another 4.6L with a spun bearing? Seems to be common with these engines due to the oil supply is mostly sent to the upper end. Is it a 5QT pan or a 6QT pan?

6qt pan... I am assuming spun bearings... but at 182K I am not going to complain.

having phone-to-laptop down load issues.. hope to get pics started soon.

Rob

Thats a suprise on a 6qt pan. Usually its on the 5qt pans. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

well since phone and laptop are not on "speaking terms" I will add some dialog...

* we fought a random, leaking oil filter/cooler adapter problem for nearly 10 months... random night out front of the house or every stop on Saturday shopping, the truck would very randomly puke 2-5 tablespoons of oil... from some magical location that showed no sign of the leak. tracer dye didn't even help. I finally got fed up and replaced the oil filter adapter/cooler housing gasket per the Ford TSB... FINALLY the Exxon Oil Spill in front of the house was cured.

* Never through the 10 months figting the oil leak did the oil or engine light come on or engine make noise.

* Update: scored a 65K mile warrantied engine in Missouri for 1/2 what a rebuild will cost... so the replacement is shipping Monday/Tuesday.

*Mad thrash starts tomorrow to get everything ready for the replacement engine. Power wash everything. Pretty up some parts... ordered a BUNCH of stuff to assist.

Rob

ok a few pics... first up where were were when 181K hit and bearings came a knocking:

Striker coils
custom air intake tube from heavily moded stock air box

disassembly:

Parts is Parts right? a keen eye might catch my $15 Mark VIII electric fan, Flex-o-lite fan controller, Trick Flow Valve Covers, Trick Flow Underdrives, Trick Flow elbow... Air inlet.. lots of lil trinkets in there.

New engine: 65,000 got to hear it run over the phone.

everything included except A/c compressor, alt and ECM!!

Test fitting goodies:

Initial Detailing engine paint, cleaned intake, refitted goodies...

Another shot.. exhaust manifolds come off tomorrow for Eastwoon ceramic coating an heat sheild polishing.

The engine will be painted a dark Graphite color (Rustoluem wheel paint, high metalic) over Duplicolor Ford Grey high-temp engine paint. Trick Flow Valve Covers & plenum I am torn.. Wrinkle finish Black with machined fins/pads and red lettering to match the Reb silicone couplers? Leave plastic intake black or Graphite? All the front pulleys will be semi-gloss black, tensioner cast-iron grey (a slightly lighter detail color than the engine's graphite, similar in color to the Eastwood manifold coating color.

the red details will come from the lettering, the silicone couplers, the Striker Coil packs, maybe the non-polished top of the fuel pressure regulator for an additional pop of red...

Rob

sorry for all the phone pics... I will try to remember the good camera for the finale.. Goal: has to be ready for 1,200 road trip by Monday morning... wish me luck!

Rob

PS: if anyone with an '02-early '04 Explorer/Monty needs upper induction or wiring stuff... PM me... this engine was out of an '03 Monty... it is drive-by-cable.. si I cannot use any of the upper induction or wiring... so if need/want spares... hit me back. I will also have spares of Valve covers, an oil pan, all kinds of stuff.

not to mention the engine I get to rebuild...

rob

Well... parts delays, Turkey Day Vacation, lots of work @ work... Finally in the home stretch.

my version of the Mark VIII/bird Efan:

I put the Flex-o-Lite controller on the shroud and mounted the fan directly to the OE rad with the E-fan mounting tab kit. I positioned the fan controller so it will be on the pass side top for easy access and ease of hiding/routing the wiring behind the OE cover.

Engine 90% ready:

The donor engine is a 65K mile '03 which I have found out has MANY differences. Injectors, EGR system, fuel rail and regulator, obviously Cable vs Drive-by-wire. So I basically stripped the replacement down to long block, with intake and oil pan. I am transferring pretty much everything else. refurbishing/painting everything.

New parts:
Trick Flow Intake Elbow
Trick Flow Cast Valve Covers
Trick Flow Underdrive kit (no Alt pulley)
Mark VIII E-fan & controller
H20 pump (lightning hi-flow)
starter
all hoses
all fluids
many gaskets/seals
most of the exposed hardware on the top of the engine

So hoping to pick up some Hp & mpg. I really want to do exhaust, but Wife would flip out if its even a single db louder than stock... still working on that one.

Also, KYB struts arrived, so they will go in as well. Need to do all the ball joints after first of the year, once wallet recovers after Xmas.

I will be taking the camera thursday and sat when I finish up... for final pics..

Rob

Looking forward to seeing the final pics. The valve covers and intake elbow look sweet. I painted my valve covers with aluminum colored engine enamal.

I just started working on mine again after not being able to for a month. I ran into some unexpected problems that required a lot more time and $.

I was just posting in YOUR thread and coming to link this... too funny...

I'm in crunch time. We are leaving a week from tomorrow for Christmas with the Wife's Family in St. Louis. Monty has to be on the road THIS weekend to work out all the bugs and be road worthy.

I wish I could take up the space at work Friday (tomorrow) to get the truck on a lift and get the old engine out and all (4) struts off so I can drop them off with the local Firestone to get the springs swapped... I am simply running out of time.

gotta clean everything, do transmission, transfer case, and rear diff fuilds. I have everything to rebuild the suspension (all 8 control arms, tie rods, etc.. but those will have to wait until we get back and after the holidays. Hell, I even found a STEAL on all new carpet $135 shipped! I have 2 sons (8 & 6) so the middle carpet is trashed. Front and cargo areas are pristine... go figure. LOL

I'm just happy my Wife LOVES her Monty enough to want me to fix it and keep it, as opposed to wanting to trade and start a new payment..

We pre-planned for the Monty putting aside $$ every month to be ready... I still have j-u-s-t enough WHEN (not if) the transmission goes.

I just watch and grab parts when there are good deals for "down the road repairs"... Like the carpet, I've had it for over 2 years... Picked up a complete rear diff center section, with 3.73's... 2,800 miles off an '03, had a fire.. $60 at pick-n-pull... If the rear ever gives me trouble... covered.. complete sunroof unit with motor, (2) Pearl White Tailgates with glass, a complete '06 front bumper cover/conversion with rectangular fog lights a all the brackets etc... Its insane...

Anyway... Saturday is the long push day. the goal is new engine in and running. Final tweaks on SUnday. take home to Wife Sunday evening.

Wish me luck.

Rob

Good luck! If it were me, I would go ahead and have a plan B to get a rental car reserved just in case.

As far as the starter, I got this ratchet from Harbor Freight that saved some time: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-ratchet-with-indexable-head-96092.html

Just like rocket_5979 says on my thread, the top left transmission bolt can be reached from underneath with the right combo of extensions and swivels.

The top right was a lot more trouble for me. Heater hoses and valve cover should be removed for more room, and get it from the top. I didn't have a spreader to lift the old engine out with, so valve covers had to come off any way. The chains would bust them up if they were on there when lifting, which is what I think happened to a lot of the engines I found at the local yards.

Back