And something else breaks... transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

And something else breaks... transmission

J'sLilMonster

Reaction score
City, State
Tyler, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer 4x4
Ok, first I wanna thank those of you that have given me some great advice and helped resolve other prior issues I've had. Now I'm having another problem.....

My transmission is giving me trouble. I can put it in gear (any gear) and when I give it throttle it barely tries to pull its self. It has a little movement but nothing more than a couple of inches. The fluid level is full and I'm not finding anywhere that it is leaking. The truck is all power and 4x4. My next move is to check for anything that's unplugged or other lines that's off. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'm more than willing to listen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it's slipping severely. Try using all the gears, OD, D, 2, 1 and R. Does it happen in all? Might be lucky and get away with a band adjustment?

Yes it does it in all gears. I'm going to check to see if something might have come unplugged. It barely moves when I increase the RPMs while in gear. How would I go about checking to see its a band adjustment needed?

There's threads on here that tell you how to do the band adjustment. There's really nothing that can be unplugged for the trans to not work like that. These A4LD's are mostly mechanical automatic transmissions.

How is your fluid? Clear? Does it smell burned?

I was going to say maybe your vacuum line came off of the tranny. But if that happen your engine would not stay idling. I assume your motor runs fine so its not that. Transmission do wear out i've had mine rebuilt twice since I've own it.

trans..

The fluid is still clear and doesn't smell or taste burnt. Ill search thru the treads to find how to adjust the band. My engine idles nice and smooth like it should. I understand that like everything else transmissions do wear out but this isn't something that gradually happened. I drove 30 miles home, stopped at the store on my way. When I tried to leave the gas station, it would barely pull its self the.last 2 miles home.

The band adjusters are on the side of the transmission. They are square-headed studs that stick out with lock nuts at their bases. The band adjustment procedure explains how you loosen the lock nuts, run the band adjuster stud in to a specific torque value, then back it out a certain amount and tighten the lock nut. If your bands are broken you'll notice during the procedure the adjuster won't reach the torque value specified.

I would suggest checking line pressure of the transmission using the service port. That way you can see if the pump is delivering proper pressure.

Also check your trans pan for debris or metal filings inside.

Back