And then there were three! RangerX3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

And then there were three! RangerX3

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
2D3D0C48-2F92-471A-97C4-E8830CAA8C99.jpeg
I bought another cheap truck yesterday! It’s a 94 Mazda B4000 4x4, 5speed, 3.73, 4” lift, great condition 31” AT tires, 156,000 miles.
Things that don’t work: 4wd, power windows, power seats, power mirrors, radio.
Needs an intake tube, has a gas smell. But it has current registration and inspection, and I drove it home!
Paid $300.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

156K!! its a baby! truck like that around here is worth $3500....you got a smoking good deal
I LOVE THE B4000!!!
Now don't let it sit too much.......... next you need a 92 or a 97 so your signature stays correct

Congrats! Might need some manual hubs
Fuel smell is usually canister purge solenoid is out and charcoal canister is full of fumes

Yeah, this one’s not gonna sit around! Plan is to get it running good enough ASAP!
Good tip on the purge valve, Jamie. I will check that. I’m guessing it can be tested? Can’t find it mentioned in my book.
I see several broken/missing vacuum lines, one off the air box, two off the accumulator(?).
My plan is to fix those and replace the badly leaking air intake tube and see how much better it runs from that. It’s really cutting out when accelerating or going up a hill. Pretty much the same issue you helped me with on the main Ranger!
Hope to have my neighbor troubleshoot the power window issue, I believe it’s electrical, cuz I can’t hear the motors trying to work. That’s actually top priority, open windows and daily rain is not a good combo!

The canister purge you can apply 12v to it and listen for it to CLICK = open you can put air or vacuum through the line when you do this to make sure its opening/closing
I have never done that but it should work LOL

Fix those broken vac lines
A leak in the air intake tube will cause crazy lean condition, tons of un metered air entering the intake after the MAS will result in the computer dumping fuel to compensate....and it will run like crap.
Those old intake tubes develop hard to find leaks, especially in the accordion section of the tubing.
Window motors, take door panel off and apply 12V directly to window motor, you will see if the motor works or not, reverse polarity it goes up, other way it goes down......then troubleshoot the truck side of things as needed.
Rob the warn manual hubs off your Red ranger!!

tons of un metered air entering the intake after the MAS will result in the computer dumping fuel to compensate...
Well maybe THAT’S causing the gas smell, sounds more likely than the faulty solenoid? Where would it dump the fuel?
Not sure yet if the patched up intake tube is saveable, are replacements available for a decent price? Or how easy to swap over the cone style off of the 95?
Yeah, manual hubs for sure, I have an extra pair I’ve been saving...:D

Those Mazdas are a rare find in the pick-a-part yards I go to. I needed to find a taillight for one, and it took a while...

the computer "dumps" the fuel by opening the injectors fully and for longer = it gets burned out the exhaust....hopefully! When I say dumping I dont mean like puddles forming on the ground :)
The raw fuel smell is likely from the canister purge solenoid / charcoal canister
The charcoal canister is still under the hood on that 94, later they moved them back above the spare tire....stinks less back there LOL
They get old and stale, stink all the time.
The purpose of the canister is to hold the fumes from the top of the fuel tank until you hit WOT with the skinny pedal, then the computer tells the canister purge valve to open and all the fumes/vapors from the charcoal canister/ and fuel tank and burned up through the intake. WOT + canister purge opens = intake vacuum sucks vapors off the top of the tank and canister right through the throttle body.
If the canister purge quits working, well then the vapors just sit under the hood in the canister = raw fuel smell stinks
If its worse when you exit the highway and come to a stop, I got $5 says its a bad canister purge valve
Does not hurt to replace the charcoal canister too if it stinks all the time
Pretty sure Rick just had to replace his on the pumpkin earlier this year....same thing smelled like raw fuel

Nice find. Let us know what you need part wise and I can keep a eye out in the junkyard. Then we can flat rate it to you:D

Nice find. Let us know what you need part wise and I can keep a eye out in the junkyard. Then we can flat rate it to you:D
If you see any plastic intake tubes, grab em! I could use two! One of mine is too rotted to save, the other is heavily patched. I would gladly pay you!

If you see any plastic intake tubes, grab em! I could use two! One of mine is too rotted to save, the other is heavily patched. I would gladly pay you!
If I don't end up using the Navajo one, I'll gladly send it your way. I'll keep a lookout next JY run.

If the canister purge quits working, well then the vapors just sit under the hood in the canister = raw fuel smell stinks
If its worse when you exit the highway and come to a stop, I got $5 says its a bad canister purge valve
Does not hurt to replace the charcoal canister too if it stinks all the time
Pretty sure Rick just had to replace his on the pumpkin earlier this year....same thing smelled like raw fuel
Checked codes yesterday, only active koeo code is 565, canister purge valve circuit fault, did you call it or what!?
Guess I’ll replace it.

:chug::salute:

Back