And they say Nj drivers are crazy... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

And they say Nj drivers are crazy...

Went to the city of brotherly love (that is philly, right?) today and saw so many crazy drivers zipping in and around and hanging out in the street. I was with my friend and we were saying how its amazing there isnt more accidents, well sure enough 5 mins later we had one. I was turning left into a gas station to turn around and I saw this big truck stopped so I turned. I was almost all the way in and BOOM! I got hit in the back pass side. My wheel was bent in and back a little the back quarter panel in all dented. Mine is no where near as bad as the sonata that hit me. Im assuming since I didnt see her that she came from around the side and hit me. All I know is there definatly was nothing coming when I looked. Thank god this this thing is like a tank, I didnt move at all when she hit me. I didnt even feel it.

004-10.jpg

005-10.jpg

006-7.jpg

010-4.jpg

014-4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your truck took the hit pretty well it seems!
I wonder if the 1st gens are that tough?:p:

If she had applied the brake and missed hitting my wheel I could have driven home. The tow driver said something about the control arms breaking, IDK I konw nothing about mechanics/body work.

Id try not to find out if 1st gens are that tough either, lets just assume they are ;)

She was probably just aiming for the sticker in the window on your X.....:p:

Right- the world series... I definitely think that had something to do with it. Are you sure it wasn't Brad Lidge? :D

Right- the world series... I definitely think that had something to do with it. Are you sure it wasn't Brad Lidge? :D

Nah, the way he's pitching right now he would have missed completely...

(and that's coming from a die hard Phillies fan!!)

HATERSS!!!

Haha I was joking around with some of the guys there about that though. They were all like "we're not helping you until that sticker comes off!

And just because you happen to be winning as I post this means nothing, its early still..

^so am I!
Here are some pics in the daylight. They towed it to the body shop this morning and I went in to sign papers and the guy said something about possible suspension damage Im assuming its a bad thing since he mentioned it.

001-7.jpg

002-7.jpg

003-9.jpg

009-4.jpg

005-11.jpg

Ill find out by Thurs at the latest what I need, if they replace one tire Im going to push for 4 new ones since its an auto 4x4 and they are all supposed to be replaced at the same time.

idk, but some guy in a small coupe rear ended my mother's '98 XLT years ago at roughly 25-30mph (as he was skidding from about 40 or 50mph) and it completely demolished his car - all we needed was a new bumper/brackets and a small dent (less than 2" wide) repaired on the rear hatch. you always hear the rantings about the dangerous rollover hazard of our trucks and the poor gas mileage, but people dont talk much about how safe and versatile they are in spite of that. i know a lot of the new small vehicles these days are supposed to be real safe but i'd rather have ANY accident in my X Sport than i would in a compact car.... :p

I really dont know how fast she was going when she hit me, I would estimate around 40. I never even saw her coming from around the truck but she told me that she never even hit the brakes and just kept on going. IMO this thing held up great, I didnt move at all when I got hit. If she never hit the wheel I would have driven home and probably just had the bumper replaced. People really love to say how unreliable or how much gas these things suck down but keeping the passengers safe (which is really most important) gets pushed to the back. If its totalled I have no problem buying another third gen, in fact I already have my eye on a 2003 centennial edition.

I completely agree with you, I would much rather get into an accident with this than a prius.

I'd be surprised if there was any major suspension damage from that... It probably just tweaked the rear toe link. Make sure they get it on a frame jig and check the frame thoroughly to be sure none of the other suspension mounting points moved though.

I completely agree with you, I would much rather get into an accident with this than a prius.

lol, i was gonna say prius but i decided to put "compact" cars in general

ouch that doesnt look good

Well I got the truck back today and lets just say it drives like ****. Looks like the camry will be getting a few more days of use...

Well I would have to get the list but it feels like there is something stuck behind the gas and brake pedal, the steering wheel is very tight and harder to turn, there is a squeak every once and a while thats really loud. Some of the shifts are really hard and driving home just now it sounded like something was on fire under the dash. I emailed the insurance company so I guess I will wait until monday to find out if they will have any of that fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back