• Register Today It's free!

Android head units

rednektrash

Reaction score
City, State
Chalfont, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport 5 spd
Hey there guys, got a question..... Im new to the whole android head unit thing and have a couple questions but the main question is, Where do they get the service from??? I do "add" it on to my phone carrier service or?????? An the next one is, Im guessing I'd need a hotspot in the car for wifi services, correct?? Thanks in advance for any input guys, been searching and cant really find what Im looking for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The head units just plug into your android device or connect via bluetooth, just like iPod/iPhone compatible head units plug into those. Most if not all head units require you download their particular app to bridge the connection (whether via cable or bluetooth).

You need the internet/data to be working on the device to listen to Pandora or real-time stuff, but you can also just listen to whatever compatible audio files are already on the device.

At this time I don't know of any Android-based head units that actually have the Android OS in the head unit or anything like that, the head units are just a passive device that may allow you some degree of control over accessing internet radio and audio files with the head unit manufacturer's app installed on the phone.

At this time I don't know of any Android-based head units that actually have the Android OS in the head unit or anything like that, the head units are just a passive device that may allow you some degree of control over accessing internet radio and audio files with the head unit manufacturer's app installed on the phone.

Actually, there are a few with Android OS running on them. However they are still very, and I mean VERY expensive.

Once the price on them comes down, I might even consider one.

But for now, you can always hook up a tablet..

How do they acquire the service though? Would I have to talk to AT&T about it and get another sim card? To me it seems kinda pointless to pay monthly for a headunit when Im already paying over $100/month for my phone

Ok, there are some obscure brands that have slapped earlier versions of the Android OS on a device put into the car and dubbed a "head unit", just have there have been for a few years, actually, but there are no major US-brand head units with Android at present or anything that's within reach of the regular consumer.

There are of course touchscreen models with things sort of resembling an operating system, and the tried and true plug-in-a-tablet method.

I would guess when Android-based head units make it to the US market, if they offer cell-phone access, they will either plug into your existing handset like current head units do for hands-free mode, or they will work with a variety of carriers and you'll just pay for it like having multiple cel phones on a plan.

Personally I don't understand the $100+/month for phone stuff, there are plenty of prepaid plans that are under $100 a year, some are now even free for 300 minutes a month. Maybe the head units will offer a prepaid plan as well.

How do they acquire the service though? Would I have to talk to AT&T about it and get another sim card? To me it seems kinda pointless to pay monthly for a headunit when Im already paying over $100/month for my phone

Holy.. $100 a month..

There's plans in Canada, the most expensive place to own a phone, and they're $40 a month, unlimited everything now..

Oh and, Anime, Parrot's been out for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmbE6RIHPFk

I think they're best known for the android head unit.

Like I said, there are no major US-brand head units...

Like I said, there are no major US-brand head units...

Correct, but nothing is really US Brand anymore.

Everything is Chinese. :p

The units themselves have been made overseas for decades, I was referring to where the brand is a major recognized one.

The units themselves have been made overseas for decades, I was referring to where the brand is a major recognized one.

Ah, makes sense then.

I still think an Android tablet hooked up to a head unit is the best choice..

Back