Andys 98 mountaineer 5.0 awd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Andys 98 mountaineer 5.0 awd

Hey guys,
Names andy. I joined a little over a year ago and have been doing a ton of reading on here. I picked up my 98 mountaineer 5.0 awd about 16 months ago, and immediately when i got it, it needed work. I only paid 700 dollars for it which was a steal even though it needed some love, and a transmission. I set out to work on it and so far, i
Replaced the transmission, replaced all the brakes, replaced the radiator, added a flow master muffler dumped right in front of the axle, replaced the cracked tube style exhaust manifolds with cast style ones, did a full tune up, fluid change, etc.

Before i even drove it for the first time, i replaced the wheels and tires because the existing tires were bald and different sizes which is a huge no no on awd vehicles as most of you know.

The following week, i proceeded to do a tortion twist and an add a leaf so its sitting a bit higher, but i still wanted more.

Well a year has gone by and here i sit. I have been driving it to work and has given me not 1 issue. In that time, i replaced the interior lights with led bulbs, added hid head lights, and a few other things.

I did spend some time collecting a few parts which have yet to go on. One being a 4406 transfer case and shift linkage.

Ill attach a pic of how it looks now once i get it uploaded to photobucket.

20160508_153452.jpg

I recently yanked the instrument cluster to replace a few burned out bulbs and while i was in there i decided to convert the bulbs to leds. I gotta say, wow! What a difference.
20170309_191043.jpg

Back