Annoying 3rd gear

Eki

Reaction score
City, State
Uusimaa, Finland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Hi there 5R55E Tranny Gurus!
My Ex: from Germany, according to U.S. specification this should be -97 mod.
1996 High Class (XLT) 4.0 OHC
- 5-speed Auto
- t-case 4405

I have pretty annoying 3rd gear. Shifts are generally speaking good, Ford style shoft and in my case firm. So in my case shift is not slipping, at least rpm doesn't race up.

Shift when ATF is could:
1-2 good, 25 km/h
2-3 good, 40 km/h
3-4 takes time, I have to accelerate up to 80 km/h. Could this be tepperature driven feature as pointed out in few threads?
4-OD comes at 85 km/h

Shift when ATF is warm, gently acceleration:
1-2 good, 25 km/h
2-3 good but softer, 40 km/h
3-4 good but softer, 60 km/h
4-OD good but softer, 80 km/h

Shift when ATF is warm, 50%-75% acceleration (usually I don't rush):
1-2 good, 30 km/h
2-3 good but soft, 40 km/h
3-4 really "long and soft", 70 km/h rpm doesn't race up
4-OD really "long and soft", 90 km/h rpm doesn't race up

Cruising at 90 km/h, rpm is around 2000
Passing a car at 90 km/h, it shifts nice and easy to 4rd gear. If I floor it more it will downshift to 3rd without hesitation. At 3rd gear rpm climb up to 3500, speed climb up 105 km/h and then it shift to 4th. That's annoying becouse I'm feeling like 3rd gear is "eating" all the power acceleration is really slow.

Driving city speed at 55 km/h usually 4th gear is on, as going uphill (5%-15%) doing that speed it will downshift to 3rd nice and easy. To maintain speed at 50 km/h I have to use extra power, rpm climb to 3500-4000.

Good thing is, only way I can get 5000 rpm is to kickdown it from stop. I have done it couple of times just to be sure. And it was good before 3rd gear shift, I didn't tease it further...

In other words my:
3rd gear is kind of running on high rpm.
50% accelerating: 3-4 shift is really "long and soft"
50% accelerating: 4-OD shift is really "long and soft"

Few words about gears
1st gear:
- gently acceleration: always good
- 50% acceleratio: rpm climb up a little, speed is coming after
2nd gear:
- gently acceleration: alway
s good
- 50% acceleration: always good
3rd gear
- always higher rps than I expect
4th gear
- gently acceleration: always good, it's like manual transmission
- 50% acceleration: always good, though downshifts to 3rd gear on heavy acceleration too easy (my opinion)
- at highway speed (120 km/h): is really good, like a manual transmission
5th gear
- gently acceleration: always good, it's like manual transmission
- 50% acceleration: always good, it's like manual transmission. Though downshift to 4rd too easy (my opinion)

I have done "stall test" with manual 1st gear, rpm 2900-3000.

OD light has only lit once, that was after ATF change while finnishing fill up.

I went to repair shop to pull out codes, there was no errors according to technician. It took him 15 min to establish connection. He had never seen Ford Explorer and told to me that his EOBD device support mainly european cars. Local dealership told me they cannot pull out codes. They have never sold a single Explorer, they only have sold few Rangers with manual trasnmission in past five years.

Could there still be "hidden codes" or is it so when tranny code is set OD is always lit?

What I think:
- engine suffers lack of power, MAF problem and so on
- blown gasket
- TransGo shift kit would help
- tranny sensor malfunction?

kind regards
Eki

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you saying that it has done this since the tune up or change, or are you saying it was always like that? I know mine always seems to shift funny as well, but i just figure it's all in the computer controlling when it shifts and stuff.

I'm saying it has been doing this always, all six months I have had her. I haven't done any mods so far. I'm planning to install Transgo and if so also EPC and TCC is on the list. Still waiting for some advise to confirme my doubts. In my case I would say we have better days when all is fine but usually it pisses me off. I would say it's somehow teperature related. Update to list, I have midsize ATF cooler on front of radiator. On the other hand, since I don't have OD flashing, TC seems logical. Any ideas, I'm open-minded.

it's probably just the computer, as it is in my case. Not like it's bad, it's just confused. In a steady half throttle run, it will probably not rev up as much in the 2nd gear and then switch to third and keep going as well. I think ford just did a poor job having the computer control it. You could try a shift kit, and maybe some of that B&M shift improver, but other than that, you can't expect it to drive like a stickshift.

OK, thanks. I have basically red all threads with similar problem. It seems to me that all these cases ends to a different cure. Since I'm new to Ex I only can compare it to vehicle which is familiar to me. I'm still wondering should I have my own OBD-2 device (www.ozenelektronik.com). Update to list: old ATF had seen some miles for sure but it did smell "good". New ATF smells good after 1600 miles. According to dipstick there is just a little too much (1/5") ATF in it, could it cause any problems?

No, i don't think haveing that much extra would be any harm. Maybe check the Transfer case fluids just to see if that would be dragging you down for whatever reason. Also, what type of 4wd system do you have, if at all?

I have 4WD - Control Track system with Automatic Ride Control. 4WD switch: 2WD - 4WD Auto - 4WD Low. I did change all "fluids" at the same time: Tranny, t-case, front and rear axle. Came in mind, I had new set of tires three weeks ago and I didn't reset ECU. I did reset ECU this evening, it's 9:30 PM finnish time so I'm having fresh start in the morning.

This morning my ex was like a new car, no trace of annoying 3rd. What I did is I reset the system and cleaned MAF. MAF didn't look dirty to me, two wires was shining like a brand-new. I don't know what did the trick. Old tyre set was General America what ever and new set is BFG T/A KO. They might have "big" difference in diameter even though size is the same 255/70/16. Anyways I'm still looking for TransGo. Does €80 for TransGo (or €220 for EPC) sound like ripping of (1€ = 1$)

In American Dollars the Transgo kis runs about $40 and a brand new FORD EPC will run you $112. Have you read the 5R55E Valve Body rebuild diary in the Useful Threads section? You will also need new gaskets if you remove your VB.

Yes sir, I know American price. If I import them from U.S. I have to pay taxes, from Germany I get them tax free. Yes I have read that VB thread many times, really excellent write up. I quess if I want to keep my tranny fit the point is to get TransGo and change ATF every 25k?!

Back