ANOTHER 5R55E problem after valve body rebuild!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ANOTHER 5R55E problem after valve body rebuild!!!

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
Installed Central Valve Bodies rebuild...got rid of the flare issues I was having.

Now, out of the blue, the transmission will shift normally until third gear(1st shift, then 2nd shift into third) and then get STUCK in that third gear...it won't make any more shifts unless I come to a stop and turn the truck off. Almost like I'm re-setting something.

The RPM's will just keep climbing (I got up to 4G's and then let off).

What the f*** is going on NOW!!!???????????????

'99 Ranger 4.0 OHV 5R55E

OH...this happened once today and once yesterday. AND the other day I added a 2 ounce treatment of Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fix. I can't see the connection though.

PLEASE help!!! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK...just went out...it's doing it apparently all of the time now. I stopped the truck once, took off, got to third gear and that was it.

Turned the truck OFF twice, took off, got to third gear and that was it.

I'm starting to think the Instant Shudder Fix has something to do with this?

My GOD, I've owned this truck 2 months and each and every passing day makes me believe that I purchased someone else's problem. :mad:

OK, so I unhooked my battery for 10 minutes, hooked her back up...tranny shifts "normal" again, if "normal" shifting is how this transmission shifts. I still think it's quirky.

I just don't understand how you can take a transmission with an absolutely horrid past (A4LD) and complicate it even more with electronic-controlled shifting. Ford should have abandoned this tranny 20 years ago.

Funny thing is, my brother and my father have the same trucks with zero problems whatsoever. That's always been my luck!!!

Me too

I've got a 97 explorer that I thought had the valve body problem, did the gasket replacement this week but still have problems. It actually shifts fine in all gears but when coasting down hill engine goes right to idle and I can hear a rattle. Like nuts in a can. Sound goes away as soon as I open the throttle again. The real problem is after closing the throttle and coasting when I open the throttle it clunks into gear. This only happens when its in third gear(I think) going 40mph+. Sometimes it will also make a racheting sound or hard clicking sound definitely coming from transmission but only when applying throttle after being at idle, again 40mph+. Again, no flairs or hard shifts as long as I stay on the throttle. All I can think of is that it's losing pressure when at idle and builds pressure when throttle is applied and slam back into third. No problems in first or second gear. This vehicle shifts fine from a stop as long as I keep the throttle open. Do I need an OPC solinoid? Or rebuilt Valve Body? Any ideas.

OK...just went out...it's doing it apparently all of the time now. I stopped the truck once, took off, got to third gear and that was it.

Turned the truck OFF twice, took off, got to third gear and that was it.

I'm starting to think the Instant Shudder Fix has something to do with this?

My GOD, I've owned this truck 2 months and each and every passing day makes me believe that I purchased someone else's problem. :mad:

Just a quick thought, the intermediate band is only applied in 3rd gear. Maybe try adjusting this band and see what happens?

Bill, I actually adjusted the intermediate band a few weeks ago, along with the OD band since I have occasional shudder issues going into OD (added the highly recommended Dr. Tanny Instant Shudder Fix...didn't do a thing).

It did it once today (stuck in 3rd gear)...I pulled into a parking lot, re-started her and no shifting problems like usual.

Spoke to my DAD yesterday and he gave me his usual irritated "Anthony, that truck is almost TEN years old. It's got a HUNDRED thousand miles on it, (our Explorer has 200,000, my '88 Ranger had almost 300K miles, heh) just leave it alone".

I can't wait until I can buy new vehicles every few years.

BB has a good point, did you use a decent torque wrench? For the intermediate band it should be backed off 2.0 turns from 120 in.-lbs. for a 99 (2.5 turns for 95-98).

Bill...I used my Craftsman inch-lb torque wrench and back off exactly 2 turns.

About every 2 days it will do this (shift to third and then the RPM's just rise and won't downshift.

Usually, I have to come to a stop, turn the truck off, re-start it and it's fine.

Today it did this, so I shifted (manually) into 2nd, then back into Drive, and it started shifting normally again.

I'm still wondering if I should drop my fluid since to the best of my memory this started happening after I added that Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fix.

Back