• Register Today It's free!

Another A4LD question

UnXPeCTeD

Reaction score
City, State
Jonquiere
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi Guys,
New member here, just found you this past week-end and I learned a lot from all you people here. Nice to see nice people around here to share with others all the problem and advice from everybody.

I'm the proud owner of a 1994 Explorer LT V6 4.0L. Last week I blew up my transmission and we swap it with an A4LD from a 1990 Bronco II with a 2.9L on it. This was my father old Bronco and from what we were told the transmission was the same except for the bracket on it. Anyhow, after the swap it seems to me that the shifting of it is quite different on the two first gear. My question is: Does it need another modulator or anything else to be recalibrate to make it work or does just a swap from one to another is OK? The only thing we swapped from the two transmissions were the bracket for the shifting rod, those 2 were different. Do I need another modulator calibrated for a 4.0L engine? Any help on this issue would be greatly apreciated. I don't want to messed this new/old tranny we've put a couple hour to install for nothing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there were some valve body differences between the 2.9 L and the 4.0 L, a couple of parts differences and I am not sure about the modulator but I think it was the same. Get a valve body from a 4.0L A4LD and swap it in.

When you say a couple difference, what else would be different beside the valve body? Any Idea?

There are some internal differences (strength), but I never rebuild one behind a 4.0, so I don't specifiaclly know what.

I was told this morning that the torque is different from one to another, reason why the RPM is higher from the 4.0 to the 2.9, I was told that it will work like it is but a little more expensive on the fuel. I can't swith the valve body, my old tranny valve body was done, the only shifting I had were OD and P. I will use it this way and when this one will be done I will by a newer Explorer. Thanks for the advice.

Back