• Register Today It's free!

Another ABS light question...

KC

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburg,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB SOHC
I have a recently acquired 2001 E.B. X, SOHC engine. All has bben fine until the last time we went to the snow & I had to make some sharp turns in 4WD LOW. No immediate issues at that time, but a week later I noticed the ABS light would come on intermittently, for no apparent reason. The more I drove it, the more I noticed it was only happening when it was raining. We had a week-long spell earlier with no rain where I did not see the light come on at all. Today it rained lightly and the light came on again.

After searching here, I read there may be some connection with speed control so I tried that when the light came on this morning. The speed control works perfectly when the light is on. The light typically goes out when you shut it off and restart. Tonight when it came on it would not reset. I haven't tried it since its been off for a few hours but my guess is that it will be off in the a.m.

The light came on this morning when I went through a rainy area and was not on when I left to come home. When I went through a wet area coming home it came on again. There are no other symptoms - no pulsing pedal, grinding or anything unusual. So I'm thinking it's something underneath the X or perhaps something to do with the wiper switch(???) since it is in conjunction with wet weather.

Last weekend when the light was NOT on I tried squirting water around the front sensors, cables and connectors without any issues. I have not tried anything with the back sensor yet and I was not aboe to climb under tonight to see where the wetness was collecting.

Any thoughts, ideas, help or otherwise???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of your hub assemblies are bad, it's the first symptom. Check front wheels for play.

If there's no problems then chances are it's the wiring or sensor that's gone bad. Check the wires coming from the wheels and see if there's anything rotted or broken.

Well I did check the wiring from the back of the hub up to the first connector as well as I could without pulling the wheels and did not see any cracking, flaking, cuts or kinks. Have not OHM'd out the sensors yet. If the light is not currently on, will a good code reader still pull it? Will the codes help in this situation?

If it is a bad hub/sensor wouldn't it be likely to duplicate if I ****** everything with water (it did not)?

It's one of your hub assemblies most likely failing, bearing is wearing down and contaminates are getting in and messing with the sensor.

Codes can help by telling you which sensor it is, but good luck. Anyone with an ABS code scanner is gonna charge ya. Check your front wheels for any play off the ground.

These bearings often go out.

Back