Year, Model & Trim Level
96 4x2 4.0 auto
Problem : ABS light on

I have : read this forum for hours.
cleaned both front wheel sensors
cleaned rear sensor in diff housing
ohm'd front sensors, both ~ 1.04k ohms
ohm'd the rear sensor, can't remember right now but was within range
listed several places on this forum. ( I think ~ 1.5 to 2.0 k)
checked all fuses numerous times (actually did that first)
checked ABS diode (continuity one direction only)
checked relay in main dist box and the two in the secondary box OK!
disconnected battery several hours (while reading)

Vehicle was purchases used from individual several years ago and light was not on. I have replaced bearings, rotors, pad etc and everything was ok until recently. Also, since this is primarily driven around town cruise was never used and in my looking around found it was unplugged. I don't think this is causing the problem though. The odometer has quit working also (might be that gear fix)

I have checked the VSS in the tail-housing. Tried to get an ohm reading and found it to be a make/break as the gear is turned. Are there further test to be done?

Sorry this is so long but trying to bring ya'll up to speed (no pun here)

What else can I check? any info on checking the ABS control module?

Thanks
Tom

Edit: #1 rear ISO valve 6.5 meg ohms (dang) all the others were 5 - 8 ohms

Edit: #2 waiting for Equus 3160

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum Tom,

I appreciate the troubleshooting and background information you have invested already. So I'll help you get the ball rolling at least.

in my looking around found it was unplugged

Can you describe in greater detail what you mean by this sentence?

any info on checking the ABS control module?

Before checking the 4WABS module I would recommend getting the ABS code read. It will prove immensely helpful, but unfortunately will require a higher end or specialized code reader. You can buy stand alone ABS readers if desired. The best prices for those are usually on Amazon.com or Advance Auto Parts with their 20% off online coupon code (P20).

Here is a thread with some information about the 4WABS system. If you search for the keyword "Teves unit" you might have better luck: Link

Thanks OneLever,
Actually I was just reading that thread you linked to. Still reading it.

I hardly ever use cruise (automatic speed control) control so didn't realize it was not working. The unit in the engine compartment is unplugged. It was hard to notice because the plug was placed right next to the pins so it looked liked is was plugged in. This is a part time vehicle and just driven around town so I never used it.

I was looking at the innova 3160 on Amazon. I well check advanced auto online also.

The code would help a lot.

Thanks
Tom

The abs sensors are low voltage A/C generators so you can see if the produce a voltage as you spin the wheel. Beyond that you want a scan tool.

I'll suggest www.obd-2.com if you want a scan tool. It uses a laptop. For ABS codes, you want to buy a PWM + ISO: DOUBLE COMBO - contains any two of the above networks $142. Besides ABS, it is what I believe the best scan tool on the market for that cost. I'm sure it works on a 96 for ABS, cause I tried it. It has a bit of a learning curve but you can read stuff that the dealers scan tool can. You can also buy the $240 adapter if you want to use it on newer cars (CAN interface).

96eb96,
I have done some serious looking at laptop/pc based software and obd-2 I believe would be my choice. I would like to know more about your satisfaction with it. Also, I have an Intel Mac. I really don't want to bootcamp windows (thats why I got a Mac). I have thought about using wine with the software or I need to see if I can boot windows on my external drive and go from there. (another thread I guess). I need to do a search on who is using what software or tool. Have you done a thread on your experiences with the alex peper?

96eb96,
I have done some serious looking at laptop/pc based software and obd-2 I believe would be my choice. I would like to know more about your satisfaction with it. Also, I have an Intel Mac. I really don't want to bootcamp windows (thats why I got a Mac). I have thought about using wine with the software or I need to see if I can boot windows on my external drive and go from there. (another thread I guess). I need to do a search on who is using what software or tool. Have you done a thread on your experiences with the alex peper?

I think a few years ago I discussed it, I have to look back. The interface is a bit old school, and you have to look around a bit to find things but its not impossible. It works well for the 96, I can say that.

Alex gives support if you need it. You do have access to all Ford Extended codes, so you can check if your MAF is working, EGR parameters, etc. Even things like GEM and climate control codes! You can log hours of data to find a lazy o2 sensor, etc. Its not a toy, probably closer to the Ford tools the dealer has.

You need both PWM and ISO to access everything. You can download the software first to see what it looks like.

You probably don't have a serial port, so you need a USB to serial adapter. I don't know how that would work out under emulation, maybe ask Alex? There is a full guarantee on the software. I ended up buying a cheap laptop on ebay for the scan tool and my service manuals.

96eb96,
I have a desktop box I could dedicate to the shop. I know it would work but how many times to you use your laptop to get on the road data? That would be the only thing I would miss out on (I think)

96eb96,
I have a desktop box I could dedicate to the shop. I know it would work but how many times to you use your laptop to get on the road data? That would be the only thing I would miss out on (I think)

A few times (maybe 3-4) for o2 sensor diagnosis.

added edit to op

more reading to do about the hard wire fix maybe.

96 - I could start with the desktop on a cart and keep my eyes out for a cheap laptop.

added edit to op

more reading to do about the hard wire fix maybe.

96 - I could start with the desktop on a cart and keep my eyes out for a cheap laptop.

Well I posted another reply recently on this issue. As these units age there are going to many internal wire failures.

Edit: #1 rear ISO valve 6.5 meg ohms (dang) all the others were 5 - 8 ohms

While it seems you have found the likely cause of your problem. I would still get the ABS code read. After all there may have been multiple failure points in the ABS system. A dealer could certainly read the code for you if the one time charge is more reasonable than buying a scanner. Although I will say that a pc based OBDII diagnostic system would be very handy.

If you are an enterprising fellow an ECU repair might be possible, but that is a choice not to be taken lightly. Such a refurbishment would need to be extensively tested for safe operation after completion. Preferably in a wide open deserted area free of obstructions. Otherwise the moment you find out the repair was botched could be seconds before you crash into a cement wall.

If you choose to do so the vehicle would be inoperable until you finish the repair unless the 4WABS system were bypassed. The HCU would also need to be bled via a breakout box or dealer adapter.

First of all, I really appreciate everyone's help on this problem.

I pulled the trigger on the Equus 3160. I will post results when it arrives. It will be a few days. In the mean time the braking system works just fine (old school) and I would prefer it that way but thats another thread.

Question about the bleeding:
Is it possible or anyone tried to manually activate the solenoids and bleed one at a time. I use vacuum and thought you might be able to bleed one circuit at a time. I will search for the adaptor to see what it does. If you have a link for a source please post.

I am also looking at software just for playing. the pyobd is Debian / Mac friendly so I may try that also but I don't see where it does ABS so I might just put Peper's on a dedicated windows box.

Thanks again for the help!

Back