Another Auto Hub Question. Help Needed! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Auto Hub Question. Help Needed!

KingKeef

Reaction score
City, State
Anoka, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '94 XLT
Now I know this issue must be annoying by now, but I've been very frustrated with this problem. Currently I've tried to some what clean the hubs and rotated and examined them toomany times already. There are a couple of helpful tips I've been reading on here and plan to try them in the morning. Although there are some questions I still have about my observations and things my instructor at school has mentioned. He is very well known and extremely skilled at what he does. So second geussing him hasn't been a thought of mine. Here are a list of some questions to pick your brains. This is for a '94 Explorer XLT if it makes a difference.

1. When I removed the hubs on both sides it looked as if somone porpusly packed them with grease. I started to remove the grease on the right(passenger side) hub first. Nothing seemed to be worn or chipped in any way or form just coated with about a gallon of grease. When I finished scrapping grease with a flat head out of the hub cautiously, I noticed when trying to put back on the axle it wouldn't fit completly to the rotar. It felt like a spring or something was preventing it to be completly secure. After rotating it a couple times it found its way home. I also wiped the axle and mechanism around off and notice I could spin the assembly that engages the hub. I've also been told you have to aline the hub exactly as it came off. This is hard cause my Dad and his buddy recently replaced the rotars and repacking the hell out of the wheel bearings, haveing no idea if there correct or not. I'm a little discuraged about these obsrvation and if anyone can explain if its normal please do so, also if I did anything incorrectly let me know.

2. As I procceded to the left(driver side) hub everything was the same as the other side. Until I pressed the outer ring in the hub down and it didn't come back up. (The other side could barely be pressed in.) I don't know if one or both are defective or if this is normal. When I got most of the crap out of the hub, I went on to clean the axle and parts. Doing so the same thing happended as the other side with the ability to spin that peice around the axle, yet was much more difficult to do so. While examining further I found what looked like the outer wheel bearing seal. I can see the wheel bearings themselves and the same piece was completly gone on the other side. I'm thinking this is where all that grease had come from.

Also my instructor mentioned that because the whole assembly inside the hub
cap could be spun by just a fingure, that I would need new hubs. Is this right?

3. Finally, after putting back together everything, I lifted the truck (all 4 tires up) up on the hoist into the air. I turned the SUV on and in park, pushed the 4Hi button. The light was on and I could hear everything engaging. I put it in drive and went to take a look underneath. The drive shaft was spining properly but only the left(driver side) axle was spinning. And still no front wheel movment. I continuded to try to assist the wheel to move forward but just was in freewheel.

This has been very frustrating given I live in minnesota and its getting to the
-30's outside, whitch in this case getting stuck is sort of a life or death situation. Not to mention drifting is incredibly fun from the icy roads, the police around here don't feel the same way.

So if anyone has any suggestions or answers or tips please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time and hope my descriptions were detailed enough. :D

If getting stuck is a life or death situation, I certainly wouldn't rely on crappy auto hubs, I don't even rely on them for occasional 4x4 use. I would swap to WARN manual hubs, they actually WORK and will not leave you stranded. For what it's worth the only really good way to check and see if auto hubs are working is put it in 2wd and spin the front driveshaft by hand, you saying only the left AXLE was spinning indicates there is more drag on the right side possibly from the brakes and since it's an open diff all power is being routed to the path of least resistance.

when I bought mine and the first snow I was stuck, I put in manauls from milemarker, I was not paying 600-1200$ for the automatics from ford.

Back