Another Desert Run [11/09/02] Anyone? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Desert Run [11/09/02] Anyone?

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Rubicon - Tomb Raider
Another Desert Run [10/09/02] Anyone?

Dan and I are thinking about running out to the desert again...To get our trucks dusty and see what's on the other side of them hills...

Places still left to explore:

Iron Age Mine
Carlyse Mine
Supply Mine
+ search for bypasses to access Black Eagle Mine (since this trail has been blocked by "The Man.")

Dan hopes to have his own truck up and running by the 9th of November. I on the other hand have my headlights working, and I will be able and willing to be out after dark...

Let me know if this sounds like fun!?!:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds great dude! I'm there. Btw, the subject of this thread says desert run 10/9/02, not 11/9/02.
I'm getting my new extended brakelines tomorrow, so I'll be able to pop off the sway bars! Later

November the 9th

Yep, I screwed up. I meant to say *November the 9th* not October the 9th...

so is this on or what? Me and my friends are going to do something that weekend and we're debating whether to go to Joshua tree and camp/offroad, go to big bear, or go to arizona. I would personally like to go to Joshua tree, but probly not if you guys aren't going.

josh, do you think i could make it on the trails you guys hit last trip? i might be down to go somewhere if i can do it w/out the lowrange

Here's what we're thinking about doing...

Dan just emailed me with some proposals for our next run in the area. Would you like to peek inside of this guys mind? Here goes:

>>As for other trails as I mentioned before we have about three more runs on Old Dale Before we have covered everything. Also need to complete the climb
where I got real hung up. Hope there is enough room though at the top or that is going to be a long and painful back down (About a mile long). Also there are a few more trails on the left that need to be explored and would like to spend a bit more time exploring Gold Crown Mine. There are a few others as well located near the far mountain range. About a total of 15
or so miles of trails on that side so we should be able to cover most of it in one day-- two at the most. As for the one going up the side of the mountain well would leave at least half a day for that. It is slow going and a true
rock crawl. Once I have the lift & Gearing believe that I will have about the same ability as you and even then it is questionable especially the end.

>>Before we begin I guess we could really try to scope it out with my Binoculars. Maybe they will provide us with an answer. Must have been some reason for them to dig that trail out of the side of the mountain. So we still have a bit of exploring ahead of us before
completeing the entire trail network. Also on one of our returns to Brooklyn mine would like to take that trail that I pointed out to you. According to the map it goes down about a mile or so and parallels the main trail and then just stops. But would like to take it anyway. Also, we need to get you out along the mountains where I haven't taken you yet. On that trip there is one difficult wash with steep sides that needs to be crossed. A few rough spots, but nothing that we can't handle. Mark may run in to problems though with the wash as I did in my exploder. So that may take up another day on
the trail. So maybe there is a total of about 4 possibly 5 more trail days before we have it all covered. We also may want to go back down Black Eagle Mine to see if there are any trails that can get us around the road block.

>>Really wonder what in the heck is going on over there these days. So, we have a bit more to cover before completing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that is the plan on what is left to explore. I'm serious about returning to this area. Unlike Big Bear, it isn't closed for any time, and the possiblities are there for some fun and some go-slow trails. This is definitely 4-low action. You'll want a minimum of 31's for the ground clearance, and you'll need low range. If you guys remember, I had trouble climbing that section out of O.K. Mine - if I had a rear locker, that bouncing around would not have happened. My wife really wants to attend, but not if she is going to slow the group down. Because of Day Light Savings approaching, we will have even *less* daylight to work with. So, we'll have to meet promptly at 9 a.m. and leave once all of the peeps show up. We'll discuss the meeting place later...
:D

HEY I WAS WONDERING IF MY X WOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE IT ON THOSE TRAILS BECAUSE I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO GO IF MY X WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE IT.

Tough hill climbs and rocks, too!

Joe,

When you type in all caps, it is the equivalent of yelling;) at everyone...

To answer your question, you might be able to idle up some of these obstacles if you had a rear locker, but I believe you would run into trouble early on with 2WD. Although the terrain is fairly mild in nature, there happen to be some hillclimbs that you might find challenging.

On our June run in the area, a built Jeep TJ went along for the ride, and the guy was driving in 2-Hi during 80% of the trip - down Old Dale Road. He eventually switched to 4-Lo to tackle an area that was a thorn in all of our sides.

You know your rig better than we do, but I would hate for you to get all the way out there to find that you weren't able to make the hill climbs in your 'X'...
crw_0774.jpg

Originally posted by coolchriscush
josh, do you think i could make it on the trails you guys hit last trip? i might be down to go somewhere if i can do it w/out the lowrange

Sorry dude, I really don't think its possible. If you were to go, you would have to go way too fast to get up some of these sections than you would want to go. I was going too fast and I have 4-lo. If I regeared I would be ok, but I'm cutting it close as is.

So can we get a date out of this ken? That would be cool. If not for the 9th, thats ok, it would just be cool to camp too. I wish I could regear by then, but I really won't be able to cuz of the cashflow problems. Oh well, the run sounds good. Let us know so we can plan on it:)

2WDs should be able to play too!

I'd Love to go but already have a trip planned to Topac.

2WD guy, Gopher went to truckhaven and did fine and he haas a 2wd with a limited slip.

Get some sort of locker in the rear and have yourself a blast. Put some tow hooks up front and in the rear. I'm sure these guys won't mind towing you up if you run into any problems, I know I wouldn't.

Have fun ya'll!

I'd love yo go, but I won't be able to get a weekend day until around Thanksgiving. I think I am going to put an ORR run together for either Big Bear (if open) or the Berdoo/Old Dale area later in the month.

--Sean

My proposal -- November 9th and 10th

I'm down for 2 straight days of 'wheeling. My wife can attend if she wants or she can drive home early - she'll bring her Jeep along and she can cut out early. I can stay at Dan's house in Palm Springs, and you guys can as well. He doesn't care. Or, you can camp under the stars. If Dan wants to camp and if my wife doesn't want to go, then I'll camp with everyone.

• November 9th -- Full Day -- Trail Run
  • November 10th -- Full Day -- Trail Run
    [/list=a]

To answer Desert Spive's question:
    DesertSpive I'd love yo go, but I won't be able to get a weekend day until around Thanksgiving. I think I am going to put an ORR run together for either Big Bear (if open) or the Berdoo/Old Dale area later in the month.
    Sean, set up a date, start your own thread, and I'll do my best to attend and be a part of things!:cool:

Guys w/2WD, Like I said. A guy driving his Jeep w/33's and 4.56 gearing (not using his Air Lockers at all) could have completed most of our runs, but he ran into a section where he would have been riding on his brakes, and he didn't want to power up a difficult section on O.K. Mine road, so he threw it in 4-Lo. No biggie. Give it a try and see what happens. I just believe that it might be difficult to keep up in some sections, that's all...

Quick and easy trail ride on 10-27!

To the 2WD guys, I am going with my wife out for part of the day. If you would like to run part of Brooklyn Mine with me to see if your rig can handle this trail, we can all travel together and see how things work, or don't work.

Drop me a line if you want to go!
(909) 255-1589 (cell)Click to email me.

Camping plans...

I was told this morning that my wife doesn't want to attend the trail ride and that she will be in O.C. all day Saturday. I've been given the "okay" to stay out in Old Dale all weekend (Sat and Sun) with the guys! So, if you want to camp or stay in Palm Springs, let me know. We can arrange things for this to be a campout if enough people are interested...

jotr-ImageF.00007.jpeg

Hey bro-my buddy and I are still debating to go to joshua tree or big bear. Uhh...I'll send him an email right now and tell him we should go on this. We definately wanted to camp, so we should camp! How cold do you think it'll be at night? Lets do it man. He's got a 4runner by the way, so I hope you don't mind if he comes:rolleyes:

New Pictures

I finally got some spare time to get the pictures of our Old Dale Mining Trip on my web page.

Check out the fun we had and the great high desert scenery:

http://www.meenahan.com/olddale/index.html

Here is a sample of some of the images:
CRW_1258.jpg
CRW_1127.jpg

CRW_1076.jpg
CRW_1241.jpg

I had a great time with Ken, Dan and Josh. It was exciting!

-Mark

Joshua Tree or Big Bear? No Contest!

If you want to drive for 2 hours, waste lots and lots of gas, and find out that your favorite trail is closed for the year (or until we get some rainfall), then, go to Big Bear.

If you want to have a great time, camp out in the canyon of Berdoo Canyon Road (which has some great hide-out campspots, by the way, then, it's Joshua Tree).

The choice is yours!:eek:

It looks like a "rough run"

Dan spoke with me about this next run, and he is "concerned" about this next run with vehicles running only 2 wheel drive...

Here's what he had to say;
>>Hi Ken,
Was reading over you post, and think a 4x2 though they can do most of it will run in to difficulties on certain areas. As for that trial leading up the side of the mountain no way a 4x2 will make it. Is even questional if you and I can make it. Where I got hung up from a bit of hiking was able to see this was only the beginning of the rough stuff. So from preliminary looks this is going to be a rough run. What is needed to make this is at least a 4" lift, 32's or larger, and regearing is a big plus. The trail from the looks is rarely traveled and the effects of errosion is clear making passage questionable. When I was looking up hill there were two sections that may be completely washed out, but need further exploring by foot to see if passage is still possible. I can't believe the trail would just end with out room to turn around up there.<<

Dan had this much to say about 2WD's on the run;

>>The trip I have planned for the most part looks like a 2, with the expception being Carlysle where from previous reports is a bit on the nasty side. The rest according to the topo indicates it is a well traveled trail and is not even marked as 4x4. So a 4x2 tadding alone should be able to make most of the trip. Though soft spots are always a possibility that as you know can eat a 4x2. So, they will need to proceed with caution. Well from the sounds of it we have some interest in it. Paul my attorney friend will be taking his stock wrangler along, and is a newbie when it comes to wheeling though he has the right attitude which is all that is needed. Will forward the threat do him so he knows a bit more about it.<<

There you have it. I'm going to purchase a nice handheld CB this weekend, and now that I'm getting in shape, the hike to the top won't be such a problem. I'll be willing to hike as far as I need to in order to see that we can drive up and through, or drive up and turn around. So, it looks like a run, but potentially challenging run...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ready, steady, GO!

where and when is the driver's meeting?
truck+with+yak.jpg

Back