Another "Do I have an amp" question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another "Do I have an amp" question

Am_Dew

Reaction score
City, State
Somehere in Northern CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
I have a '96 XLT V8 AWD. It has the stock Premium radio/cassette player in it. I would like to add an amp to it.

Does this unit contain it's own amp or is there an external one in the wheel well?

If it has an external amp, how do I bypass it and attach my own?

If it has an internal amp, what is a good speaker-level to line-level convertor to use?

Thanks!

There are many answers on this site that might help you. I just installed a new head unit and amp to my 91 EB. I don't know if you can install a new amp to the factory head unit. It might be possible but I don't want to give you any wrong in. The best thing to do search this site. Hoep this helps. Email me if you have any questions.

holloway@iswest.com

------------------
Steve
91 Explorer, Eddie Bauer 4X4

All of the Explorers up until I believe 98, I know 99 for sure, had amps in the back. Whether you had a premium system or not. At least the XLT and up. It is possible to add a new amp to your existing factory headunit, but I wouldn't recommend it. You can either have a custom adapter made, or you can purchase one. There wasn't a high demand for them in the past so I'm not sure if they are still available. Your best best is to just replace the factory headunit with a good aftermarket one. If you have any other questions I'd be glad to answer them.

------------------
99 XLT 4x4 4.0 SOHC
Rancho RS9000/RS9700
K&N Custom Intake
Custom Flowmaster
Dual Exhaust
Torsion/Add a Leaf lift
Custom Painter Bumpers
and Running Boards
Bushwacker Fender Flares
32x11.50
http://www.geocities.com/northwestexplorers/