Another dumb bw4404 thread.

H2opro

Reaction score
City, State
Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
06F-350,98mountaineer
Hey all,
I know this topic has been covered before. I have a 98 mountaineer 5.0. my t case went bad. I think it was the seal in the VC. Had rear wheel drive and the front would only spin if you really got on it. So I swapped the t case out with a lower mile one. Now I have a pop/ clunk sound in the front drive line. Front diff has no metal in the fluid. Nether does the new case. I took the original front drive shaft out and the CV joint on the t case side fell apart. So I swapped the drive shaft out with a used one. Still does it. I don't now the history on it. Came out of a truck I used to V8 swap my ranger. Truck had 200k on it. And the shaft sat outside for a few months .The will pop if you load the truck with the brakes. Or just take off. My guess is it's the front used drive shaft. When going do the road I hear a buzz/ clicking sound under my feet. Could the t case chain be bad? If I have to buy a t case that's fine I would just order a reman. A reman driveshaft is 300 bucks if imthe wrong forum feel free to move it. Once again I know no history on the used drive shaft I put in the truck. It work fine when I drove the donor. But then is sat in the back of a pick up truck for 6 month.
Thank you for the help in advance. Sorry about the grammar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be your new/used AWD t case is shot
If the front diff, front driveline and CV axles check out the t case is all that is left to slip and clunk

The CV part of your front driveshaft can be rebuilt, you do not have to spend $300 for a new one, Dorman has a kit.
Also this: "Had rear wheel drive and the front would only spin if you really got on it"

Sounds like a working AWD t case, in the AWD explorer it is a 65/35 split, meaning only 35% of the power goes to the front axle.......

Could be your new/used AWD t case is shot
If the front diff, front driveline and CV axles check out the t case is all that is left to slip and clunk

The CV part of your front driveshaft can be rebuilt, you do not have to spend $300 for a new one, Dorman has a kit.
Also this: "Had rear wheel drive and the front would only spin if you really got on it"

Sounds like a working AWD t case, in the AWD explorer it is a 65/35 split, meaning only 35% of the power goes to the front axle.......
That what I thought. But on dry pavement you shouldn't be able to spin the back tires. At least that's what I was told.

A stock v8 should never be able to spin the tires on dry pavement.

I’d bet on the driveshaft. Dorman parts are typically junk, and I’d be hesitant to use their kit.

There are two different driveshaft shaft lengths. I don’t think you could put the shorter one in, and stretch the slip joint, but maybe.

Thank you for the info guys. I found a new motorcraft driveshaft here in town and I bought a new t case. I think the chain was shot in my used one. As far as the original one goes I think the seal in VC coupler was bad. The use driveshaft was probably ok. But the boot was ripped. So I just replaced it. Probably shouldn't have spent a grand on this old truck. But it's been such a good truck for me. It has some sentimental value now with the family. So she's back on the road. I'll drive it for a few miles recheck the bolts and should be good to go.

Back