Another Electrical Gremlin? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Electrical Gremlin?

exilepa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ruby Red Sport
Is it normal for my exterior keypad for entry to be on all the time? I noticed it about a week ago I looked in the garage and saw it lit up. Thought maybe I had activated it with motion. Well today in the middle of the day with no one near the vehicle I could see it lit up from about 30ft away. Just looked in the garage and it's still lit up! Anyone else's do this? What should the normal timeout be if it is motion activated?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rumor has it there is a ghost that haunts these vehicles. There was a very unfortunate man who ran into such a ghost. The man bought a very early 2011 MY Ford Explorer. He was driving to work one day, when suddenly, the car started being a bit funny. There were rattles and buzzing noises. He stopped the car for a moment and checked the car. There was no one around. He continued on his commute but then again, he heard rattles and squeaks, he started to get paranoid as his touch screen then started to become unresponsive. The fear rained down upon him as he came across a dreaded message (MFT maintenance). Not knowing what to do, he drove to the dealer begging for help but the dealer said he was acting crazy, there were no such things happening with the car. Not knowing what to do, he just ignored it. Hoping the next day the noises won't come back. Everything was fine all day, he was happy, until suddenly, driving back in the dark night passing through a very isolated wooded area. His Explorer made noises again, this time the signs were clear, rattles, he reaches for the SYNC button but to no avail, the car had a mind of its own! The touch screen flipped screens and became unresponsive, the navigation froze, worse and worse, the car then began to overheat! Not knowing what to do he tried to slow down, but to no avail as his power assist failed. Unable to control the vehicle, the car drove into the woods. By the time the 911 Assist sent out the call for police, it was too late, the ghost already got him. The effect of his death is that the keypad now lights up everyday on its own as he haunts these very explorers himself.

or it could be that something is causing the touchpad to sense a touch like debris or something. I know sometimes when it rains, I see the keypad light up. I think it's because these touchpads might be using capacitive touch which is done by anything drawing power from it.

Yeah, thought it might be debris as well and cleaned it up well, still lit up. Thankfully doesn't seem to be much of a draw on the battery. Sigh, another trip to the dealer....

Rumor has it there is a ghost that haunts these vehicles. There was a very unfortunate man who ran into such a ghost. The man bought a very early 2011 MY Ford Explorer. He was driving to work one day, when suddenly, the car started being a bit funny. There were rattles and buzzing noises. He stopped the car for a moment and checked the car. There was no one around. He continued on his commute but then again, he heard rattles and squeaks, he started to get paranoid as his touch screen then started to become unresponsive. The fear rained down upon him as he came across a dreaded message (MFT maintenance). Not knowing what to do, he drove to the dealer begging for help but the dealer said he was acting crazy, there were no such things happening with the car. Not knowing what to do, he just ignored it. Hoping the next day the noises won't come back. Everything was fine all day, he was happy, until suddenly, driving back in the dark night passing through a very isolated wooded area. His Explorer made noises again, this time the signs were clear, rattles, he reaches for the SYNC button but to no avail, the car had a mind of its own! The touch screen flipped screens and became unresponsive, the navigation froze, worse and worse, the car then began to overheat! Not knowing what to do he tried to slow down, but to no avail as his power assist failed. Unable to control the vehicle, the car drove into the woods. By the time the 911 Assist sent out the call for police, it was too late, the ghost already got him. The effect of his death is that the keypad now lights up everyday on its own as he haunts these very explorers himself.

or it could be that something is causing the touchpad to sense a touch like debris or something. I know sometimes when it rains, I see the keypad light up. I think it's because these touchpads might be using capacitive touch which is done by anything drawing power from it.
Is this a bedtime story or a camp fire story? Whichever it is, you have the knack! ;):thumbsup:

Peter

Is this a bedtime story or a camp fire story? Whichever it is, you have the knack! ;):thumbsup:

Peter

It's a new one where you tell it to your passengers while driving your car. My friend and I made it up as we were joking around with the problems I had with my car. Haha.

As for your issue. It's all LED and the electricity being taken from whatever it's sensing is not going to take much electricity from your battery. I think you should just do it at an oil change interval. If you want, maybe try to find the fuse for the touch pad or pull the battery to see if it helps?

Is it normal for my exterior keypad for entry to be on all the time?...

Hi exilepa,

It sounds like a trip to the dealership may be in order. If you'd like me to get your regional CSM involved, just send me a PM with your current mileage and I'll bring it to their attention.

Thanks!

Crystal

Back