Another Explorer with transmissions issues - I think! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Explorer with transmissions issues - I think!

BoweP

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hey all, I have a '94 4X4 with the A4 in it. It has started to give me some sort of transmission issue, and I'm prepping for a new one. I was at a stop light yesterday (following a friend to the mechanic, ironically) and as I started to let it creep forward in drive, it felt like I hit the brakes hard for a second. It was fine after that, and I talked to the tranny guy at the shop we headed to about it. He said check your fluid, make sure it's not dark or burnt smelling. He said when you put it in park or neutral, it will still want to move, and that's a sign it is heading out. Well, my fluid was fine. I'm real particular about all of my fluids. However, when I got home, I decided to put it in neutral. It started to creep as if it were in drive. Then I shifted into park, and it kept going about 6-12 inches before grabbing and coming to a stop.

What do you all think? Are there any good tranny removal guides? I checked the page for them and didn't find a real clear cut removal thread. My Chilton repair manual leaves a bit to be desires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pulling a trans isn't that difficult, especially if you've done it before. it is time consuming and labor intensive if you haven't. just make sure you have the necessary tools before you begin. use common sense and you should do fine. rolling in neutral i wouldn't worry so much, rolling in park is something else entirely. if you can't find info on this forum try the ranger forums. they usually have some pretty good info.

Thank you for the reply and your input! I dropped a tranny on an old '72 mustang, but never this explorer, and never something with a t-case. The rolling forward in park is what sold it for me, really. Although it doesn't do it every time, which is odd to me. I'm thinking that going with a low mileage, used transmission would not be wise. Especially given that the Explorer only has 57K miles on it. It can't get much more low mileage than that, and it still is failing.

I know the a4ld wasn't fords proudest moment but i understand re manufactured is superior to rebuilt.

It's just a pawl that jams in a gear for "Park". I'd take a look at your shift linkage first.

It's just a pawl that jams in a gear for "Park". I'd take a look at your shift linkage first.

x2 on this.

Linkage could be out of adjustment. If the parking pawl was broken and the linkage was out of adjustment, you can get the forward clutch engaging. My 1991 does it from time to time but the trans is solid aside from that. I've simply learned to park in neutral with the e-brake applied if I'm going to get out with the engine running.

I had thought about the shift linkage potentially being an issue, given that the transmission feels otherwise great. I wasn't sure how to address it, though. What do you check for on the linkage? Thank you!

I had thought about the shift linkage potentially being an issue, given that the transmission feels otherwise great. I wasn't sure how to address it, though. What do you check for on the linkage? Thank you!

Here's what the factory service manual says:

Back