Another fog light install question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another fog light install question

gtyates

Reaction score
City, State
Goodlettsville Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'09 Sport Trac, '21 Explo
Just purchased an '05 XLT. It does not have the fog lights installed. It does have the auto lamp system. My question is, has anyone installed fog lamps on an '05 XLT like mine and did you find the wiring already in place and that it was basically a plug and play situation with simply adding the lamps and a new main light switch? I understand the earlier years the wiring is not in place, but I am wondering about my '05 XLT and others experience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No such luck! There are kits or you can buy the lights and make your own harness.

I hate it the wiring is not in place. On the '05 the fog light switch is built into the regular headlamp switch. So looks like I will have a seperate switch for the fogs. :( Why in the world Ford used seperate harnesses is beyond me!!

On my '05 XLT there wasn't a switch in radio bezel like I've seen on other models. The truck didn't come with fogs and it sure was a pain drilling out the plates in the bumper to install them. The mounting holes were up in the bumper though. I just installed a switch right next to the headlight/dome oval gauge assembly.

I suppose if you wanted them to come on with the headlights you could just splice into the headlight+ wire.

I like the control of a switch, guess it's a personally preference, ya know.

drilling out the slots wasn't bad, a 3 inch forstner bit or a 3 inch hole saw would work as for the wiring harness its like 15 bucks at pep boys, and the switch; thats just one more thing you can yell to your co pilot to ENGAGE!!!

Update. Purchased me a set of factory fogs off of Ebay. Had a very good friend (in auto repair business) install them at his shop. Fogs work great except for one thing. My truck, an '05, came with auto lamps. The fog light kit, made for the '01 - '05 years apparantely did nto have an instruction on hooking them into the auto lamp system. Right now, wired with their own switch, they work with park lamps, high and low beams (as long as fog switch is on of course). Is there something we are missing in the wiring set-up to get them to work with the auto lamp system?

dont quote me on this but im pretty sure you can splice your fog light wire into the headlight wire so when the headlight comes on the fog does too.

Follow-up. I finally had a "free" weekend afternoon to look closer at the fog lamp wiring. The shop that did my install had the "signal wire" for the fog lamp system wired in at the main headlamp switch, using the instrument cluster wire as the source. This is why the fog lamp would only light up when in manual mode (the auto lamp relay sends its own power to the instrument cluster). To get the fogs working with the auto lamp system, I moved this "signal" wire to the wire that sends a signal to the autolamp relay (red/yellow wire). Now they are working great, except I do not have fogs with the parking lamps only mode. I think I have found a work-around for that as well, but for now I am pleased that the fogs are working in both manual and auto modes!! I might try and purchase a new main headlamp switch with auto lamp and fog light switch built in and wire the new fog lights into the fog lamp relay send wire from the headlamp switch, but that is another job for later. :) It would be a lttle strange having 2 switches for the same fog lamps though since the new kit is wired through the fog lamp switch it came with and has its own seperate relay under the hood.

Install wiring

I too recently bought a set of lf-epor02goem-apc fog laamps and no wiring diagram. it looks pretty simple. Just want to be sure Im connecting it as intended. No auto lamps to worry about. Has anyone run across a diagram for these lights?

dont quote me on this but im pretty sure you can splice your fog light wire into the headlight wire so when the headlight comes on the fog does too.

^I quoted you^ :D

DONT do this, unless your using a relay. You cant have that much power draw from those little wires, theyre just barely big enough to power the headlights, rather than a whole extra bulb.

With relays, it would be fine, since the headlight wire would only click the relay on, relay takes power from the batt, sends it to the fogs.

Fog light wiring using the parking circuit to trigger the relay, no switch:
Imagefoginstall2.jpg

Same but using an inline switch:
Imagefoginstall.jpg

I agree totally on the need for a relay!! You will fry your OE wiring without using a relay!! (past experience speaking!!)

Thank god for a relay.

It did come with a relay and a switch ive got one red lead from the switch and one from the relay assembly the one from the switch is just a bare end the one from the relay has a crimped brass end for like a 3/4 round eye type connector do both of these leads need power or can they draw their power from the same source?? I'd like them to stay independent of my other lights.

Back