Another foot in the grave for my A4LD.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another foot in the grave for my A4LD....

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Well, my tranny seems to be getting worse and worse (big surprise).

1st gear feels like a CVT from a standstill, doesn't feel "direct" anymore. 1-2 shift is also MUSH under moderate throttle....

It's also making a ticking, scratching/whining sound, at idle.....I'm guessing TC, but who knows

:thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm also guessing t/c

Try a tranny flush. My 1->2 shift is usually vary hard during cold weather usually up to 4500 RPM to get it to shift, but in this hot weather (100 and up) my transmission shifts almost like new. Also the governor controls the 1-2 shift point and it might be clogged. Its a cheap fix but requires removing the extension housing on the tranny which also means disconnecting the driveshaft. However the tranny flush might fix this issue without tearing into the tranny.

If the problem continues you may be looking at more than the price of an oil change for a fix.

I know my governor is finicky, but I think it got messed up as a result of other damage.
1st gear feels like its connected to the drivetrain with rubber bands.

291k and change.

I added a bottle of that Lucas transfix to it a couple hundred miles ago....

Maybe I'm just now feeling its effect?

Is this the original transmission? If so, then it's probably time to rebuild it. Most A4LD transmissions don't live this long, so consider yourself lucky until now. You could try to rebuild the valve body, but it might need an entire rebuild with almost 300K miles.

Back