• Register Today It's free!

another front end NOISE

fireftr

Reaction score
City, State
strongsville,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Limited 4.6
:( This might be trivial, but its annoying anyhow; Anyone ever hear a "chirp" when going over a bump? Not a squeek, not a thunk, and not a bang, but a squeek! Parts replaced: shocks, radius arm bushings, sway bar links and frame bushings, upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends. I can live with it, but like say its annoying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are so many things that could make a noise that it is hard to narrow it down by reading a description of the sound. If you cant figure it out and it gets to the point that you can't take it any more you might consider having someone look at it and diagnose the problem. They don't have to fix it, just diagnose it for you and then you'll know what to fix.

Me 2!

Fire,

I'm experiencing the same chirping sound!!! I just posted a thread about my problem. Have you found out anything? If you do, please let me know!

Renee

Could be your axel pivot bushing:D

My what?

My axle pivot what?....lol

Sounds like a suspension thing...???

It is. i suggest you lube everything around the control arm. my x chirps also. But only started after i lowered it. Bushings on the control arm either need to be lubed or replaced.

front end noise

Thanks for the tips everybody, now i know what to possibly look for. I don't mind doing work myself, but sometimes half the battle is finding the source of the trouble.

If it squeaks, it's likely rubber on metal, so a pivot or radius arm bushing.
If it clunks, more probably metal on metal, so check the ball joints, sometimes tie-rod ends but you should be able to feel/hear slop in the steering linkage too.

My stock radus arm bushings squeak all the #%$@# time.:mad:
Alignment is still good, but it was reason enough to justify my 5.5" Superlift with poly bushings all around!:rolleyes:

Lube the bushings with motor oil one at a time and test drive in between, you can sometimes temporarily silence the culprit and thus figure out which one it is.

Good luck. ;)
Malcolm

Also check the sway bar links, make sure they are TIGHT! I had one that was like 1/2 turn of the bolt loose, and man it had me looking under there for months trying to find the source of my squeek....

Oh and was this noise there before you replaced all that stuff?

Slightly off topic, but how many axle pivot bushings do the 91-94 have? 1 or 2?

S Q U E E K

Fortune......Ya, the noise was there before those parts were replaced. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to go back over all the bolts and check for tightness, then lube the radius arm bushings and try that.

The axle pivot bushings are located at the pivot point for each torshion beam, so there are two.

When you get a lift kit this is where the drop brackets attach. They lower the axle pivot and radius arm mounts, thus resulting in lift.

front end noise

:) Well, I lubed the axle pivot bushings, and guess what,...........q u i e t! Thanks again. This site is a real help esp ecially for aging X's.

Back