• Register Today It's free!

another fuel guage question

sirgeorge

Reaction score
City, State
Caldwell, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I was told that my fuel pump was weak and needed to replace it. Before that, my fuel guage would sometimes work and other times read empty. I would turn off the key and then back on and sometimes that would make the guage work again. When I replaced the pump, I also replaced the sending unit. That worked for about a day and now the guage is stuck on 3/4. Sometimes when I start the engine, the guage will read correctly for about 1 minute and then will go to 3/4. Has anyone seen something on what could be wrong or have any ideas. I never remember to check miles so I never know how much gas I have. I need to get this fixed ASAP.

I'm not sure about a new fuel pump and sending unit assembly, but did it come with a new brass float, or did you use the old one ...

The brass float can develop a crack or hole that sucks in gas and makes the gauge stick. Mine will not work over 1/2 a tank. One it drops below 1/2, it works like a champ ...

I've also heard, but never seen, that a short in the wiring harness that comes from the drivers side connection to the firewall and do this ... Check for frayed wires as well. Not sure if you need to check in the dash, or in the engine compartment ...

Ohm the sender

On the tank connector, the two smaller wires should read 170 ohms full and 15 ohms empty. You could go to Radio Shack and buy these value resistors or close to it for a test of the gauge. Most electrical problems involving the sensor give a higher than normal reading because of a connection that adds resistance. Leaking floats cause the sender arm to sink.

Back