• Register Today It's free!

Another Fuel Pump Question

zachow3

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0 AWD
After putting it off for a long time now, I finally decided to tackle the install of my Walbro GSS342 in-tank pump. Pulled the tank (fun) and the pump assy. What I saw was not what I was expecting. The pump and sending unit are sealed in a plastic case. The Walbro, being a bigger pump would not fit and needing the truck the next day I ended putting everything back togetther with the stock pump.

After much research, I was unable to find a performance pump that would drop in my Canadian made truck. So more research and I came up with this theory. This is where I need input.

Walbro makes a GSL392. It's a 255lph in-line pump. No dropping the tank again. But will it work?

My application is a modest 6lbs of boost with a centrifugal supercharger and 42lb injectors.

Will the stock pumps volume output along with the Walbro in-line pump supplementing any pressure drop be enough for my setup?

I'll keep searching, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have no idea of the specs on that pump. But I would for darn sure find out before I burned up my motor! Many inlines are not designed for high pressure high flow uses...even though the specs look good.

Will you remove your existing pump or use it to feed the new pump? Feeding the new pump is a great idea...but not if the in tank becomes a flow restriction.

Walbro makes some great pumps...and it's more than likely the pump that's in your car from the factory. Aeromotive makes some of the best performance pumps I've seen too. Worth a look.

www.aeromotiveinc.com

Walbro inline pump...

Funny you should be looking at this pump... I just used one of these for a replacement for a Volvo 780 I picked up at auction that didn't run...

Apparently this pump does pull fuel from the tank into itself and it does pressurize to at least 50 psi which is what the Volvo runs into its turbo 4 banger...And this Volvo is pumping out somewhere between 9-15 psi boost.

I do have a question for you though; Are you running out of fuel when your boost kicks in? I am not going to assume what type of forced induction you are running but with 42lb/hr injectors are you seeing a drop in fuel delivery and a corresponding increase in exhaust temps? Also what engine and compression does your engine have? I ask because I have run a 9 psi centrifugal on my stroked 351 and I actually came down to 30 lb/hr injectors to keep the engine from running too rich then too lean with a 155 gph pump...I had started off with a 255 gph pump that died after a few weeks and the 155 was a new one I had...

Anyway, here is a link to its specs as well...

http://www.expressfuelpumps.com/gsl...walbro-inline-fuel-pump-universal-p-3783.html

From what I could find the stock in-tank pump flows approx 160lph, but dont quote me on that. The in-line pump would be to supplement not so much flow but pressure drop under heavy throttle conditions with the bigger injectors. Not the ideal setup I was hoping for but what I hoped would be a feasable alternative. So yes my idea would be to run both the in-tank and in-line pumps together.

My supercharger and injectors are not installed yet. I have them but other projects have kept me busy. I have the stock 302 with 9:1 compression. My thread in the "Need for Speed" section will give you more info on my build, if your interested...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210882.

Back