Another interior lighting issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another interior lighting issue.

Howdy all, I come to you all with an interior lighting issue. My front dome lights will not turn on when the doors are opened, with the buttons, or the lighting switch. However when I open the cover I can turn the bulb and it will light. The rear lights work fine when I open all the hatches. Any ideas would be extremely helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bad bulb or sounds like your wiring behind your light is bad.. take the light fixture out and check the connections behind it............hope that solves your problem

Went and tired to pull the bulbs out, twisted 'em both to remove, went a bit to far and they lit up. Ideas?

can you remove the light bulbs at all?
some light bulbs you have to push down on then twist to get out
if so take a picture of 1 or both of them so i know what kind of twist in bulbs you have for you lighting issue, even if you can post a link to a bulb that looks like your light bulb from some were on the www

Simple fix Devilnuts,

Remove the bulbs.... and Take a pair of pliers to the clamps that the bulbs sit in, squeeze them gently until the clamp tips touch, and then replace the bulb...

Happened to me, and it was just the fact that the metal wasn't making solid contact all the time.

Semper Fi.

Last edited:

Alright gonna bring this back up. Still haven't figured this issue out. The bulbs are functioning fine. If I rotate the bulb clockwise it it will light up , however if I place the bulb back in the middle, nothing will cause them to light up. Lamp switch, and door will not switch them on. The little metal covering on the plastic piece is torn up.

The rest of the interior lights will turn on with the doors or the dimmer wheel.

Change them over LED:D

Haha, I'm working on it. Until then I wanna figure this out, been bugging me.

The contact surface the lights attach to gets worn out, brittle or broken from the heat over time. It is a bad design, and a good time to upgrade to LED dome lights ala MustangP51s write-up, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2031734#post2031734

The contact strips are basically plastic strips about 3-4 times the thickness of paper with a conductive copper coating on one side. Plastic + repeated heat cycles = fail.

You guys bring up some great stuff, however I suck with a soldering. Looking for place to purchase the boards pre-made. I got some replacement LED bulb things from Superbrightled.com and I'm super pleased with their stuff, may look into what they've got.

Back