• Register Today It's free!

Another locker question.......

kenr74

Reaction score
City, State
McMinnville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Ok, I have searched and think that I am now more confused than before I started searching.

I have a 94 XLT with 4.10's and open carrier. My truck is used only for towing my trailer with ATV's to the dunes and then playing in the sand or up in the mountains. It was working perfectly fine until I saw a guy out in the dunes going up things I didn't think possible with an X. He had a locked rear and some decent MT tires. So now I'm thinking that being locked would be a good idea. :D I was looking at the Aussie locker but then saw the minispools for much cheaper so now I'm not sure what to go with.

So my question is which is better for my use and why....

selectable locker
locker
spool
mini-spool
other?

My main concerns would be price, ability to remove it if I sell the truck, and how it will affect towing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

selectable lockers are pretty much the best for your application.
A full time locker will never be disengaged, and that could create some problems when towing. A full time locker would be better than a spool/mini-spool because a locker slips just a tiny bit when going around turns, but a spool or mini-spool pretty much just connects the axle shafts together and when turning you will eat tires fast, especially when towing a fairly heavy load

i remember i had a 1977 GMC Jimmy wit 38" mudders on it and I welded the spider gears together wow is all i can say lol never got stuck in 2wd but going around corners made the truck either jump a little or the tires would bark...

Ok, that adds a little more to think about. I didn't really want to drop the extra $$ for a selectable locker but I also don't want to hurt the towing. The trailer is only about 1200 pounds so it isn't heavy. I'm not too worried about tires because this truck will only be getting 5k miles tops per year since it isn't my DD any more.

In my opinion, a Powertrax No-Slip will be the overall best for you. Although a selectable would be better, it also costs a good bit more and since you said it isn't driven all that much, the No-Slip sounds like a better choice. I have heard really good things about the Powertrax No-Slip. It acts as a limited slip when going around turns and is locked when going straight. Off the top of my head, JasonB and JoshC both have the No-Slip in the rear. I know that Jason tows a trailer with his Explorer and has also flat-towed a Suzuki Samurai. I haven't heard any complaints from him about it, but hopefully he'll chime in and let you know. ;)

Detriot TrueTrac (limited slip)

Why?

Because its not a full locker. It wont hurt your towing ability and will work as good as any locker for what your using it for. Actually it DOES work as a full locker when you have drag on the wheels (IE the brakes + the gas at the same time... make sense?)

haha i got one, and id have to say its as close as ill ever need to get to a full locker, unless i quit working.

it never wears out too which is definatly a plus

Back