Another Magnetic ST Ordered | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Magnetic ST Ordered

Will3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I discovered ExplorerForum.com when I started researching the 2020 Explorer. The information provided herein was very helpful in my decision to order a Magnetic ST with the premium technology package. I’m way behind many others here who ordered months before me. I ordered on June 28. With a little luck, maybe I’ll see it by mid-September......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Will.:wave:

Peter

Welcome! Nice color choice, And I’m in that same boat... ordered July 1st. both of us ordered during the scheduled shutdown. Curious to see how much that’s going to delay the process... hoping not by much. *fingers crossed*

I plan to stop by my dealership tomorrow for a status update. Sure would like to see a VIN.

I ordered my Magnetic ST on May 2nd. It was delayed and now my production date is listed as 1st week of August. I am expecting it by the end of August. NY, NJ is not far from Chicago my dealer said, it could be shipped by truck over 4 or so days from Chicago. Said Train is not involved should save some time.

I wish I could fly to Chicago and just pick it up from the factory and just drive it back to the east coast.

You're right about convoy vs rail. I ordered a Mustang a couple of years ago. It was transported by rail. Leaving aside how long it took to get loaded on a rail car at Flatrock, once it was on the railroad it took 4 days to get to the local railroad off loading facility in MO. It then took another 8 days for a truck to pick it up and transported it the final 17 miles to the dealership. So instead of twelve days for the Mustang, I'm hoping for maybe three tops for the Explorer. Again, that's not counting the time it may sit once released at Chicago awaiting shipment.

I also hope that now that Job 2 is about to start, the factory will be prioritizing retail orders which should work to our advantage.

You're right about convoy vs rail. I ordered a Mustang a couple of years ago. It was transported by rail. Leaving aside how long it took to get loaded on a rail car at Flatrock, once it was on the railroad it took 4 days to get to the local railroad off loading facility in MO. It then took another 8 days for a truck to pick it up and transported it the final 17 miles to the dealership. So instead of twelve days for the Mustang, I'm hoping for maybe three tops for the Explorer. Again, that's not counting the time it may sit once released at Chicago awaiting shipment.

I also hope that now that Job 2 is about to start, the factory will be prioritizing retail orders which should work to our advantage.
Factory always prioritizes retail orders once ok to buy is given which was around June 10th.

Thanks blwnsmoke, you’ve always got good info.

Thanks blwnsmoke, you’ve always got good info.

No worries.. what's killing the wait times is the back log of shipping since they had almost 6 weeks of inventory sitting in storage lots. Reality is once they are rolling full speed and deliveries are finally caught up, we should be seeing 6-8 week order to delivery time frames.

This always happens on a full redesign.

Spoke with my dealer today. No VIN this week............:(

Magnetic is the best color so far. I am glad I ordered it. Looks awesome with the ST black trim.

Welcome and congrats on the order. If I didn't order Atlas Blue I would have ordered Magnetic. Always loved that colour on the Explorers. I've always found that waiting for the dealer to provide the VIN drove me nuts. Hopefully they have a VIN for you soon so you can start tracking the build progress and pull your hair out while watching the shipping process. :) I've ordered to many cars which would explain the lack of hair on my head.

My dealer called today to tell me there's still no VIN on my order which was placed on 6/28. :dunno:

My dealer called today to tell me there's still no VIN on my order which was placed on 6/28. :dunno:

It's only been a couple weeks.

I assume you're subtracting the holiday shutdown time?

I assume you're subtracting the holiday shutdown time?

Yes, you ordered on a Friday which you missed Ford pulling the order that week (pulls wednesday nights). Then zero scheduling done till the following Wednesday after the holiday.

So really it is as if you ordered on July 10th as it just sat.

Orders that Ford pulled last week were scheduling for the week of 9/16. Ford did not pull orders this week for any scheduling on Explorers. You are looking at a late September build at the earliest from what I can tell.

As always, thanks blwnsmoke. I didn't know that scheduling also came to a halt during shutdowns. My dealer told me that none of their Explorer orders were pulled this week. Thanks for confirming that. I'm thinking the UAW contract expiration (9/14/19) and associated negotiations may/will be coming into play. Oh well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As always, thanks blwnsmoke. I didn't know that scheduling also came to a halt during shutdowns. My dealer told me that none of their Explorer orders were pulled this week. Thanks for confirming that. I'm thinking the UAW contract expiration (9/14/19) and associated negotiations may/will be coming into play. Oh well.

You're welcome. I know it's not what you wanted to hear. My 5/24 reorder is scheduled for the week of 8/12, as a Prioritiy 10 with plenty of allocation. So that is almost 10 weeks excluding the shutdown.

Unfortunately for now, this is pretty normal.

Back