• Register Today It's free!

Another Mazda 5spd Trans issue...

Steve796

Reaction score
City, State
Ridgecrest, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xl
So here is the deal. I noticed it when I went out to start up my explorer and let it warm up since the morning are about 25 degrees here. It happens everymorning. I push the ebrake down. Push the clutch, start the truck, put it in neutral, and then when I go to let go of the clutch the truck rocks and then stalls. It does this a few time and finally when things start warming up it won't do it anymore. Unfortunately I think I'm looking a bearing going out or a gear siezing to the shaft..:thumbdwn:. I replace the oil about a year ago. it is a 92 4x4 with about 172k miles. Anyone have any input on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slave cylinder in the trans freezing up..???

I replace the oil about a year ago. it is a 92 4x4 with about 172k miles. Anyone have any input on this?
Replaced the oil in what, the transmission? If so, what did you use, as it calls for ATF...

Yup ATF.

Hmm... Anything I can do to check the slave cylinder? What happens when the slave cylinder goes bad, because the clutch works fine most of the time although it does have a slight grind going from first to second for the first shift in the morning like the clutch doesn't compress all the way...

There should be a rubber plug on the side of the bellhousing of the trans. you can pull the rectangular plug out and inspect the motion of the slave cylinder. With the truck off you should be able to have a helper press the clutch in and out and look at the slave cylinder motion pushing against the pressure plate.

ok. however, i don't see how the slave clyinder not working would cause the truck to rock when I let off the clutch pedal and the truck is already out of gear. Any thoughts on this?

it is a 92 4x4 with about 172k miles.

because the clutch works fine most of the time although it does have a slight grind going from first to second for the first shift in the morning like the clutch doesn't compress all the way...

Well from my experience your getting close to needing a full clutch service. My 92 made it 200,816 on the factory clutch.... barely.

It started off as slight grinding from 1st to 2nd, before it led up to barely going up a hill in 2nd gear.... 5th was a no-go, clutch slipped horribly bad. I limped it this way for 2 months before I got the money to replace it.

I bought a new ford slave cylinder, just to save myself the agony ( I read a majority of the horror stories of parts store Chinese slave cylinders on this forum) so I hit up fordsvtparts (vendor on here, gives you a discount for being linked to the forum) and I got a new motorcraft slave shipped to my door for $140 (local purchase was $210). It was here in 3 days (ordered on a Friday got it Tuesday)

I went to ebay for my clutch and got a HD setup, it was $75, haggled w/ the guy cause shipping was $10, got it shipped for $75. The clutch is definitely a CLUTCH, took a week to get used to the pressure change. But I have put about 6,200 miles on it since replacement, and still perfectly fine.

Seems like a combination of parts is failing, the bucking and jerking is like the truck is still in gear. Have you tried pumping the clutch a few times before starting it to see if it still does what you describe?

Just a side note if you have a shop or know a buddy who has one, it will make the job 100 times easier than on your back... the PITA bolts were the top 2 on the trans, it requires an insane amount of extensions to get to them.

Might want to consider swapping out the trans mount when doing this job (it's a whopping $20) this was a later found issue that caused some binding on mine.

So here is the deal. I noticed it when I went out to start up my explorer and let it warm up since the morning are about 25 degrees here. It happens everymorning. I push the ebrake down. Push the clutch, start the truck, put it in neutral, and then when I go to let go of the clutch the truck rocks and then stalls. It does this a few time and finally when things start warming up it won't do it anymore. Unfortunately I think I'm looking a bearing going out or a gear siezing to the shaft..:thumbdwn:. I replace the oil about a year ago. it is a 92 4x4 with about 172k miles. Anyone have any input on this?

I'm just going to yell this from the peanut gallery... you say you put it in neutral and it still stalls? It gets better when it warms up? I'm guessing something is miserably gunked up... let's say a bearing starts going bad and gets hot. Now, every time you stop, you are baking more oil into the bearing and I don't think it is so much as warming up when it works so much as it finally works free of the crud in the bearing. It's not like the internals of a manual transmission warm up in a minute or two, more like an hour, I guess.

If you were to flush the trans with some kind of detergent/solvent, I don't know, maybe it will address it for a short while. I think you are going to have to open it up and find the root cause.

By the way, can you correlate any of this behavior to below-freezing temperatures? I have this snow blower that gave me fits last year, wouldn't shift at all hardly until it got above 32 degrees. Then, it was great! I opened up the gearbox this summer and found out it was full of water. So, if trans has water, below freezing, it now has ice! I looked up your location, you don't get below 32 unless it's a bad cold spell. So, maybe not. I spent 2 summers on China Lake as a kid... good times.

Back