• Register Today It's free!

Another MPG thread

Elfiero

Reaction score
City, State
Golden valley, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
The little woman and I just drove from Minneapolis to Miami to go on a two week cruise. It was about 26 hours and 1865 miles. We averaged around 75 miles per hour and 22.4 MPGs according to the lie-o- meter. I think we could have done closer to 24 if we would have driven closer to 65, but then we would have gotten run over! Basically, thru the entire state of Florida, we were doing in excess of 80 in the far right lane, and were getting blown by and even flipped off for going too slow. On the way home in a few weeks, I am going to “promote” driving slower. BTW, what the h*ll has happened to semi drivers in this country? They used to be the good drivers. Now even they are doing nothing but playing with their cell phones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The little woman and I just drove from Minneapolis to Miami to go on a two week cruise. It was about 26 hours and 1865 miles. We averaged around 75 miles per hour and 22.4 MPGs according to the lie-o- meter. I think we could have done closer to 24 if we would have driven closer to 65, but then we would have gotten run over! Basically, thru the entire state of Florida, we were doing in excess of 80 in the far right lane, and were getting blown by and even flipped off for going too slow. On the way home in a few weeks, I am going to “promote” driving slower. BTW, what the h*ll has happened to semi drivers in this country? They used to be the good drivers. Now even they are doing nothing but playing with their cell phones.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who has taken road trips like that. I drove the Focus I had before the current one from New Brighton Ford directly to Ormond Beach, and my current Explorer from Waukesha, WI also to Ormond Beach, though in that case I stopped for a night in Macon, GA.

The average MPG readout is actually more generous than the real MPG.

Peter

Winter gas, with winter tires plus longer idling is getting me 15mpg :)

What engine and rear axle do you have? I can't get 19 with an 3.5.non turbo and 3.65 gears
You were on 95 on the East Coast they drive slow over there. RT 75 on the west coast, they really move over there. I just can't figure out why no one , not even truck drivers "KEEP TO THE RIGHT'' anymore. Do they give blue ribbons or trophies for most miles driven in left lane holding up traffic that I don't know about.
You are correct about the truck drivers. Most were not born in this country. I guess they have different driving rules were they come from.

I have a 2017 limited with the 3:65 final drive ratio and a N/A 3.5L engine with Michilen LTX tires. We were on 75 till Orlando where we picked up the Florida turnpike. I’m thinking everyone who drives in the left lane and can hold up traffic gets a participation trophy. We noticed that when you pass them on the right, they STAND on the gas, trying to keep you behind them! That includes the semi trucks. As far as YOUR mileage, unless you go very long distances, or want to disconnect your battery to do a master reset, your mileage may suck, because the PCM “block learns” that it is driving in a metro area, and may need extra fuel frequently- hurting your MPGs.

..........................As far as YOUR mileage, unless you go very long distances, or want to disconnect your battery to do a master reset, your mileage may suck, because the PCM “block learns” that it is driving in a metro area, and may need extra fuel frequently- hurting your MPGs.
I don't believe that is right. If you reset your Instantaneous Average Mileage display, your readout will be determined on your driving at that time, not on any previous driving. Also, your Miles to Empty is based on the average MPG obtained on the tank you just filled.
Disconnecting the battery and a Master Reset are two different things and accomplish different results.

Peter

Well I will be heading down there mid jan so I will see then.
How did you like the stupid toll booths on the Florida Turnpike. And they don't take ez pass like the rest of the country

Update: as far as the toll booths, ehh- not too bad. I will say however, Florida is an “ interesting” place to drive, between the east coast maniacs, and the moron Florida rednecks- never a dull moment. We just got back home here in Minnesootah. On the way home we mostly kept the speed between 78& 82. The avg. mpg was 19.8- I have no complaints- I am sure if we had kept it closer to 65, the mileage would have been much higher. Only problem with that is, it seems EVERYONE on the road seems to drive 80 to90 - no matter the posted limit. Cops don’t seem to even glance at you unless you are over 85. And I mean that about every single state between here and there.

Ford should have designed an 8speed trans. These 6speed trans are ancient. An 8speed trans on highway could have probably gotten close to 25mpg at 75mph.

Ford should have designed an 8speed trans. These 6speed trans are ancient. An 8speed trans on highway could have probably gotten close to 25mpg at 75mph.
They seem to have skipped the 8 speed and gone to a 10 speed in the 6th generation Explorer.

Peter

They seem to have skipped the 8 speed and gone to a 10 speed in the 5th generation Explorer.

Peter
I noticed that. The 6 is just so dated. It is reliable though. I'm sure the new explorer with 10 speed should be at 25, 26 highway easily.

I noticed that. The 6 is just so dated. It is reliable though. I'm sure the new explorer with 10 speed should be at 25, 26 highway easily.

And the Explorer after that one (due in 2027) with its 23-speed transmission will get 63mpg. While making you coffee.

And the Explorer after that one (due in 2027) with its 23-speed transmission will get 63mpg. While making you coffee.
LMAO. I am just saying Ford held on too long to the 6 speed, that's all.

LOL: Isn't this (Minnesootah) spelled incorrectly? I thought it's MINNESNOWTA!!! LOL

Have 2017 Exp LTD 4x4 3.5 non-turbo tow pkg 3.65 axle. Took trip from Jersey to New Hampshire 3 weeks ago. Trip up lots of traffic and delays GW Bridge, NYC, even going around & beltway outside Boston. Got like 20-21, return trip Left N.H 08:30 light traffic, but speeds were higher. Ran 75 to 85 all the way & went around NYC and got 22 mpg.

Window sticker says MPG is 16/ 19 / 23, so it was close for road trip.

Back