• Register Today It's free!

another newby exahust

jkp89

Reaction score
City, State
lakeside arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer eddie bower
ok guys, i want to put a new exahust system on my x, not happy with the one i have now. i am more concerned with how it sounds than any performance gain at all. so my question is what type of muffler would i want for sound, i'm doing the pipeing myself and just whant to know what kind of muffler i could get for that v8 sound i love, but can't aford to pay gas for. so any help is much apretiated, thx.

the best of wheeling to you josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No doubt: Flowmaster Original 40 series. No question about it.

i like the straight pipe sound, its not that loud as long as you have a cat.

Its also illegal, and if your state has inspections you will not pass.

im with offroad 97 xplorer on both accounts.....

I'd say flowmaster also,I've got a 50 series and love the way it sounds...I'm sure the 40 would sound even better

if you like it loud, the 40 is sweet...get 2.25" piping or else it wont really sound good

ok, thx alot. how much can a get a flowmaster 40 for? i need the muffeler because my muffler hit a rock and got scaraped off, :( so i don't like the straght pipe sound thx anyway though.

best of wheeling to you josh

Definitely 40 series. I'm going dual pipe now. Just ordered an original 40 with dual 2.25" outlet (supercharging real soon). If you wait a week I'll have a Super 40 for sale for $45 shipped. Flowmaster seems to be the favorite though.

yea, i'd love to buy that from you. is there much dif bettwen the super 40 and original 40? does it sound good on you r x? and i'll happly wate a week or so for that. thx alot.

josh

The Super 40 has delta flow, where as the Original doesn't. The Original 40 should be a little louder.

Not doing true duals, I heard some on a Jeep w/ a 4.0 and I didn't like the sound. Just doing dual outlet.

I'm selling because I'm .. doing dual :D There isn't a dual outlet Super 40 so I'm going with the next best thing.

The Super 40 is painted black and has a slightly deeper tone than the regular 40. And buying it used means it's already broken in :D I recommend getting the pipes welded. I used clamps and never got it completely sealed.

j602 said:
The Super 40 has delta flow, where as the Original doesn't. The Original 40 should be a little louder.
Nope :p Dela Flow has delta flow. The Super 40 is just deeper.

Haha! Well I've had the 40 and Super 40 and can tell you the Super 40 is louder!

Yeah, if I ever decide to change mufflers again, I'm probably going with the Super. I think my next exhaust tweak will be either a dump after the muffler or cut-out after the Y pipe. :D

thx alot, and thx for the wealding tip. i think i'll have one of the better welders in auto shop do that for me. i can't weld very good yet, but thx alot tell me when you have tha muffler of thx.

josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Entire new system on monday, see ya than:)

Back