• Register Today It's free!

Another O/D Light Thread

Galactica

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer ST
Karma is a beeotch...So we just sold our little Mazda for a great price and have some money in the bank, and now the Sport Trac decides to catch a cold... O/D light started flashing last night as soon as I started driving forward around 15-20 mph. Everything seemed to be shifting perfect and I don't even hardly have the 2-3 flare. TC seems to be locking up normally and RPM's seem to be correct for a given speed (4.10LS rear on mine). Right when we got home, it gave me a bit of a shudder on the 1-2 shift. O/D light is blinking slowly, not quickly (seems from my reading that there is a difference, but I haven't figured out what it is..) I am initially thinking possibly a bad 1-2 shift solenoid, but I wanted to ask everyone here what there opinions were. I will be hopefully taking her in later this afternoon to read the TCM codes and probably park her until I can solve this. Based on what I am reading, it seems I should put an inline trans filter kit in when I do the inevitable fluid change, but do you guys think I should upgrade the entire valve body and solenoids? Is there a full shift kit that isn't to harsh that would be beneficial to prolonging the life of this 5r55? Thanks in advance! ~Dorian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scanned the computer today and it showed a single code of P0732, second gear incorrect ratio. No other codes. It has not come back today and the light has not been flashing. Anyone experience this single code, flashing slowly, and then it goes away?

Will no one give me any ideas? All my searches thus far have yielded multiple codes thrown and fast blinking OD lights. Has no one ever experienced this particular issue?

Shift solenoid is my best guess typically if it's not worn parts, lack of maintenance, it's the solenoid plus giving a shudder at shift leads me to think solenoid

Is there a performance valve body and/or shift solenoids that would be better suited for this trans? I am wanting to upgrade the tires to 265/75-16's as well and I know for sure I will be adding an external trans filter and an extra Hayden Trans cooler to help with things, but I would like to give this trans everything I can to help it last as long as possible.

That is just a factory reman. Truck did something else weird this morning. Wife said she backed out of the driveway, went to put it in drive, and it just shut off. She put it back in park and it started right back up and she said its been fine the rest of the day. Wtf is up with that?!?!

Dropped the pan over the weekend and changed the filter and what fluid came out. Turned out to be about 4.5 qts or so that I had to put back. The magnet looked great, with only a light covering of shavings on it. Pan was really clean, but the fluid and filter were in bad shape. I will probably drop the pan again and change another 4.5qts out in a couple thousand miles. I used the Mobil1 ATF compatible with Mercon and Mercon V. Transmission is shifting fantastic so far.

Back