Another OHV M90 build | Page 45 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another OHV M90 build

2000 OHV + rpcaster + henson performance = another supercharged 4.0 ohv Explorer

I have goodies from James already (New MAF, 36lb injectors, wideband O2 for tuning)

Here's what came from Ron (Also a fuel pressure gauge and boost/vacuum gauge)

Attachments

• rpcaster.jpg
    rpcaster.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,606

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, can the cap bolts from my ohv go on the sohc?

Yes but the oil pick up from ohv has to be used also.basically every thing you take off has to be swapped over.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Wow, thanks Tim!

We were at a friends doing some computer work.
Yup, the bottom end looks way different than the ohv. The bolts are probably different.

It's late, inventory tomorrow, ugh..
I have a couple of pics ill post tomorrow of the ohv bottom end.

This will be interesting.

They are totally different.you need ALL bolts including the cap bolts.you need to see both the ohv and sohc to totally understand.

Thanks JD,
I didnt recognize that bottom end that Tim posted at all.
Here's a pic of the OHV bottom end that I took before disassemble.

Attachments

• bottom end.jpg
    bottom end.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 219

Yep wait till you to put it all together and you see how much support it adds and why I recommended it;)

Thanks for the info. Sorry you had to post 'you need ALL bolts including the cap bolts' so many times.
I'm a bit slow sometimes. Computer fixing usually involves beer, and my IQ goes way down (Something about 1 in the morning doesn't help either).

I see what you mean from the pics Tim posted how the oil pickup is so different also.
I have the manual with torque specs, so moving the main bolts shouldn't be an issue.

Its definitely more involved than I thought.

Thanks for the info. Sorry you had to post 'you need ALL bolts including the cap bolts' so many times.
I'm a bit slow sometimes. Computer fixing usually involves beer, and my IQ goes way down (Something about 1 in the morning doesn't help either).

I see what you mean from the pics Tim posted how the oil pickup is so different also.
I have the manual with torque specs, so moving the main bolts shouldn't be an issue.

Its determinately more involved than I thought.

Hahah all good brother.just wanna makes sure you get everything you need.yea its really hard to explain till you have it in hand.its a piece of cake just alot of steps but worth it i think;)

So, I was thinking.....
On my rod caps, and rods.
The weights that are on them that I removed material to make them all the same weight.

Would it be beneficial to keep taking material off the weighted areas of the caps and rods to lighten them up? Id keep them all the same weight, but just lighten them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PSM-72C1385/

well, what the heck. Its only another easy monthly payment (At least that's what the credit card company tells me).

Im doing my part to keep the economy going. Now was the time to do it as shipping costs are down since stuff is already coming my way.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PSM-72C1385/

well, what the heck. Its only another easy monthly payment (At least that's what the credit card company tells me).

Im doing my part to keep the economy going. Now was the time to do it as shipping costs are down since stuff is already coming my way.

Told you they were cheap.you can get the black one for even cheaper.just gota strip the black paint and ceramic paint them.if your putting it on the card just get the coated ones.just make sure they fit,those in the pic are for 302.

also i don't see any need to take any more off the pistons.it won't make that big of a difference and you would have to take alot of to see any improvements.that would jeopardize the strength of them.just a good balance is plenty.

Would it be beneficial to keep taking material off the weighted areas of the caps and rods to lighten them up? Id keep them all the same weight, but just lighten them.
i wouldnt go any further then you have gone. like jd4242 said, you dont want to weaken them, just make them the same.

DOOOOOOO IIIIIIIT!!!! go with the JBA's however. heard nothing but good about them. also, spend the extra $$$$ and get them coated. that way, in winter when they throw enough salt down on the road to kill a cow, they wont rust, or as fast. you may also need to tell them if you have a internal, or external EGR system.

just make sure they fit,those in the pic are for 302.

but are 8cyl headers?
and besides that: Y-Pipe Included No

look closer. they are for a SBC :scratch: :rolleyes:

i think most headers wont come with a Y pipe, as they normally....and i stress the word N O R M A L L Y bolt to the stock y pipe. unlike the "true fit headers" that i have had to deal with in the past where you have to smash them in several places just so they clear.
if your going to order headers don, grab some good gaskets, as well as bolts for them. you will thank yourself later.

edit : or grab the ones that jd4242 found. didnt look to see if the same company had them.

i wouldnt go any further then you have gone. like jd4242 said, you dont want to weaken them, just make them the same.

DOOOOOOO IIIIIIIT!!!! go with the JBA's however. heard nothing but good about them. also, spend the extra $$$$ and get them coated. that way, in winter when they throw enough salt down on the road to kill a cow, they wont rust, or as fast. you may also need to tell them if you have a internal, or external EGR system.

look closer. they are for a SBC :scratch: :rolleyes:

i think most headers wont come with a Y pipe, as they normally....and i stress the word N O R M A L L Y bolt to the stock y pipe. unlike the "true fit headers" that i have had to deal with in the past where you have to smash them in several places just so they clear.
if your going to order headers don, grab some good gaskets, as well as bolts for them. you will thank yourself later.

edit : or grab the ones that jd4242 found. didnt look to see if the same company had them.

Yea i have a thread on here somewhere comparing all the headers made for the ohv.jba are great headers but if you look at the specs pacesetter are just as good and half the cost.i run them and know a couple others that do and love them.for the cost and the little power headers give the ohv jbas just ain't worth it.in our case headers do add alot compared to any other ohv!;)

i found a chart before on headers. pacesetter and hooker i think it was are the exact same size. the jba's are like 1/8" bigger in the primaries. if i remember right.

buy some pacesetters for me and ill trade you :D
the everr-so-slightly bigger tubes would be better off for you then on mine. just need to be cleaned and repainted.

i found a chart before on headers. pacesetter and hooker i think it was are the exact same size. the jba's are like 1/8" bigger in the primaries. if i remember right.

buy some pacesetters for me and ill trade you :D
the everr-so-slightly bigger tubes would be better off for you then on mine. just need to be cleaned and repainted.

It was my thread,you was part of it you big dummy!jba was a 1/16 bigger.pacesetter had a thicker flange than hooker .im looking for the thread.

^ yea i just found it lol. and no its 1/8" bigger

Headman
1 1/2 primary
18 gauge
1/4 flange
2 1/2 collector

Pacesetter
1 1/2 primary
16 gauge
3/8 flange
2 1/2 collector

JBA
1 5/8 primary
14 gauge
3/8 flange
2 1/2 collector

bbk makes headers also. 1 5/8" primaries. dont know the other specs

^ yea i just found it lol. and no its 1/8" bigger

Headman
1 1/2 primary
18 gauge
1/4 flange
2 1/2 collector

Pacesetter
1 1/2 primary
16 gauge
3/8 flange
2 1/2 collector

JBA
1 5/8 primary
14 gauge
3/8 flange
2 1/2 collector

bbk makes headers also. 1 5/8" primaries. dont know the other specs

Aww ok 1/8 bigger and little thicker.know i remember a 16 somewhere,guess it was the thickness!lol you should edit with the prices.i can tell you for our motors that small of difference ain't worth the cost.you could prob all most buy two sets of pacesetters for the cost of jba

The pic in the link that Dono posted is a generic header pic, not the part they are selling. Seems kinda crappy to me, and i surely wouldnt buy those VS the set with the collector. Just thought i would add that

Back