Another OHV M90 build | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another OHV M90 build

2000 OHV + rpcaster + henson performance = another supercharged 4.0 ohv Explorer

I have goodies from James already (New MAF, 36lb injectors, wideband O2 for tuning)

Here's what came from Ron (Also a fuel pressure gauge and boost/vacuum gauge)

Attachments

• rpcaster.jpg
    rpcaster.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,575

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ok, I measured the supplied manifold.
The bolt holes make a square. They are 3 inches on center.
The air intake opening is 65mm.

So, the next obvious question, is the factory bolt holepattern on the ford 5.0 tb square, 3 inches on center? Of course its not. Too bad. I'll try to find out if that adapter plate has its holes 3 inches on center.

Ok, I measured the supplied manifold.
The bolt holes make a square. They are 3 inches on center.
The air intake opening is 65mm.

So, the next obvious question, is the factory bolt holepattern on the ford 5.0 tb square, 3 inches on center? Of course its not. Too bad. I'll try to find out if that adapter plate has its holes 3 inches on center.

yes the 5.0 is square but its about 3.5" man why would he make the intake so small.most tb that come on the cars with m90 are larger than 65mm.on my m90 they come with 69mm tb and the inlet of charger is 72mm but my p+p unit is 75.5mm.a stock sohc tb is 65.3mm and thats stock,throw a blower on there and you would figure he would make it bigger than stock.you may be back to making your own plate,i wouldnt use that plate that has a 78mm hole in it wth a 65mm tb and 65mm intake

I dont know why the inlet is smallish. Maybe it was all about space constraints on a ranger?
When I saw it was 65mm inlet, I was hoping it was actually made for a stock 5.0 ford tb. Making an adapter plate wont be too big of a deal. It will be easier than using the stock idle controller and working with routing small air passages.

Sinve my motor isnt a heavy breathing ohv like yours JD, I dont thing that a larger inlet will make much of a difference for me.

If I have to go with an adapter plave anyway, I will probably go with a 70mm throat (That means Im after a 70mm throttle body, correct?) and I should be able to port match the cast intake to the supercharger.

Im sure there is enough casting that I will be able to transition it nicely.

I dont know why the inlet is smallish. Maybe it was all about space constraints on a ranger?
When I saw it was 65mm inlet, I was hoping it was actually made for a stock 5.0 ford tb. Making an adapter plate wont be too big of a deal. It will be easier than using the stock idle controller and working with routing small air passages.

Sinve my motor isnt a heavy breathing ohv like yours JD, I dont thing that a larger inlet will make much of a difference for me.

If I have to go with an adapter plave anyway, I will probably go with a 70mm throat (That means Im after a 70mm throttle body, correct?) and I should be able to port match the cast intake to the supercharger.

Im sure there is enough casting that I will be able to transition it nicely.
Yea maybe more after tb.yea i mean 65 aint that small,should be plenty with lower boost.

Well, done deal.
Ordered: Accufab F70KS Ford 70mm Throttle Body Kit W/Blank Spacer

This way, I can use the blank plate to make an adapter out of. I'll either drill 4 holes thru it, or just countersink 4 holes and tap threads. Sure wish I had a drill press.

I confirmed with George at Accufab that bolt spacing on the 65mm ford 5.0l throttle body is 3.5 inches. If I have to adapt anyway, I might as well go slightly larger than the inlet to the SC and transition the mouth to the SC. This way, I can be certain that the throttle body is not restricting air.

As I wait for more stuff to come in, I can see how this is all a time consuming process.

Well, done deal.

This way, I can use the blank plate to make an adapter out of. I'll either drill 4 holes thru it, or just countersink 4 holes and tap threads. Sure wish I had a drill press.

I confirmed with George at Accufab that bolt spacing on the 65mm ford 5.0l throttle body is 3.5 inches. If I have to adapt anyway, I might as well go slightly larger than the inlet to the SC and transition the mouth to the SC. This way, I can be certain that the throttle body is not restricting air.

As I wait for more stuff to come in, I can see how this is all a time consuming process.

You got a link?i didnt even see a 70mm listed.did you get the race version or standard?

Well, done deal.

Your have to drill 4 holes all the way through for the bolts for intake and countersink those.the holes for the 5.0 tb your have to tap and may have to enlarge the holes in the tb for a larger bolt maybe.you wont be able to get nuts on the back of the plate for the 5.0 tb.yea the waiting game sucks

Here's a link:
http://www.roushyatesparts.com/parts-p/acf-f70ks.htm
Here's where I ordered from (A bit cheaper).
http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?initemuid=353&fcmd=item&inmake=0

I didn't order the race version as I didn't know if I needed the vacuum or not. I think the vacuum delete is the only difference in the race version

yea having the vac is good,i didnt order the race version either because it way bigger at opening.here is old email from them but about the 75mm but the same goes for all race or regular but just different measurements.yours should be 70mm at the fly and 80mm(ruffly) at the front opening.3"intake tubes are 72mm ID.what size is your maf?3.25" pipe is 78mm so depending on you maf size i would 3.25 to get closer to that 80mm inlet of the tb.i wish i went with a bigger maf like 80mm so i could use 3.25 intake pipe to get closer to my 85.7mm tb inlet.right now my setup is 76mm maf,72mm intake tube,85mm inlet tb,75mm tb outlet,70mm intake manifold and 75mm sc inlet hole.i would have like to get 80mm maf,82mm intake tube,85.7mm tb inlet,75mm tb outlet,72mm intake manifold and 75mm sc inlet.sure it wont make a bit of difference but would have liked to get the numbers as close as possible

"Actually, the 75 race TB is 75mm (2.95-inches) at the blade and 4.00-inches at the opening. The regular TB is 75mm at the blade and 3.375-inch at the opening."

the maf is 4 inches outside diameter. 4 inch pipe works. I'll transition the pipe down to the tb as close to the air filter as I can

the maf is 4 inches outside diameter. 4 inch pipe works. I'll transition the pipe down to the tb as close to the air filter as I can

whats the ID?i wouldnt go that big.thats a over kill,97mm ID. i would get 3.25"(78mm) or even 3.5'(84mm) if your tb is only 80mm

4" pipe or 4" tube? There is a difference. Since it is important that piping carry rated amounts of flow then their measurements are taken at I.D. So a 4" pipe might have an O.D. of 4.5". Tubing size is referenced at O.D. Don't want you to order something that is way too large to fit right.

4" pipe or 4" tube? There is a difference. Since it is important that piping carry rated amounts of flow then their measurements are taken at I.D. So a 4" pipe might have an O.D. of 4.5". Tubing size is referenced at O.D. Don't want you to order something that is way too large to fit right.

all these where based of thin wall intake tubing (.065)wall

:banghead::banghead::rolleyes:crap now i think im going to get a 85mm c&l maf and 3.5 thin wall tubing!anyone want to buy a 75mm C&L maf

yea having the vac is good,i didnt order the race version either because it way bigger at opening.here is old email from them but about the 75mm but the same goes for all race or regular but just different measurements.yours should be 70mm at the fly and 80mm(ruffly) at the front opening.3"intake tubes are 72mm ID.what size is your maf?3.25" pipe is 78mm so depending on you maf size i would 3.25 to get closer to that 80mm inlet of the tb.i wish i went with a bigger maf like 80mm so i could use 3.25 intake pipe to get closer to my 85.7mm tb inlet.right now my setup is 76mm maf,72mm intake tube,85mm inlet tb,75mm tb outlet,70mm intake manifold and 75mm sc inlet hole.i would have like to get 80mm maf,82mm intake tube,85.7mm tb inlet,75mm tb outlet,72mm intake manifold and 75mm sc inlet.sure it wont make a bit of difference but would have liked to get the numbers as close as possible

"Actually, the 75 race TB is 75mm (2.95-inches) at the blade and 4.00-inches at the opening. The regular TB is 75mm at the blade and 3.375-inch at the opening."
this email was right but wrong.the outlet is 75mm ID but the inlet is 80mm ID.the 3.375'' or 85mm was OD.so your 70mm tb should have an inlet of 75mm so i really wouldnt go 4",i would say go 3.5".did you measure the ID of your maf yet?

:banghead::banghead::rolleyes:crap now i think im going to get a 85mm c&l maf and 3.5 thin wall tubing!anyone want to buy a 75mm C&L maf

oh boy.....****ty. your upgrading before your starting.

It was James that recommended I get a lightning maf and 36lb injectors for my setup. the lightning maf is probably just under 100mm. he outside diameter of the maf is 4 inches. Ill double check. Im hoping to just use plubing tube until I have everything sorted out. As long as there is a really good seal, I dont see an issue.

It was James that recommended I get a lightning maf and 36lb injectors for my setup. the lightning maf is probably just under 100mm. he outside diameter of the maf is 4 inches. Ill double check. Im hoping to just use plubing tube until I have everything sorted out. As long as there is a really good seal, I dont see an issue.

see this is where i get confused,because if your intake manifold is 65mm ,then is there any benefit with going any larger after that?i wouldnt think so,i would think your only as good as your choke point
ps lightnings are 90mm

The Lightning MAFS, otherwise known as the L-MAF is 90mm.

Back