Another OHV M90 build | Page 75 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another OHV M90 build

2000 OHV + rpcaster + henson performance = another supercharged 4.0 ohv Explorer

I have goodies from James already (New MAF, 36lb injectors, wideband O2 for tuning)

Here's what came from Ron (Also a fuel pressure gauge and boost/vacuum gauge)

Attachments

• rpcaster.jpg
    rpcaster.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,571

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tim, show a pic of the holes the gas pours thru please. Looking at that makes me laugh.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I'll remember to get a pic once I get in the garage.

I was cutting and gluing tub surround last night. Nose is full of brown dust, head hurts from the glue....And I have more to do today before bartending tonight. Pretty cold to be opening windows, but I think maybe I need to be smarter today. Open window, and mask for the dust. Yup, Im not the brightest bulb sometimes, but I do learn.

any up dates?how the tuning coming?

No updates. Were back in winter misery. Really cold here for another week. I'll sure be happy when it starts to warm up again.

Have I mentioned I've had enough of winter? start rant < geez....now they are worried about huge flooding. We have a ton of snow, and the weather guys think when it warms up, its going to warm up real fast. The way Im feeling right now, I wonder if it will ever warm up. > end rant.

Ok, Im still getting pretty bad detonation, but it might be just the dense air charge. I think I'm going to move the meth injection curve up so it starts spraying more, faster in the boost range. If it warms up, I'll do some more logging for James.

Tim's been a great help with some 17" Mustang rims, and getting me a great deal on rubber. 255/60R17. These are almost exactly the same diameter as factory (Only 4 tire rotations less per mile), but wider, and a summer tire. This combo should be lighter, and have better traction.

Maybe in another 6 months, it will be warm enough for me to install them. Geez...
see above rant.

Have I mentioned I've had enough of winter? start rant < geez....now they are worried about huge flooding. We have a ton of snow, and the weather guys think when it warms up, its going to warm up real fast. The way Im feeling right now, I wonder if it will ever warm up. > end rant.

Ok, Im still getting pretty bad detonation, but it might be just the dense air charge. I think I'm going to move the meth injection curve up so it starts spraying more, faster in the boost range. If it warms up, I'll do some more logging for James.

Tim's been a great help with some 17" Mustang rims, and getting me a great deal on rubber. 255/60R17. These are almost exactly the same diameter as factory (Only 4 tire rotations less per mile), but wider, and a summer tire. This combo should be lighter, and have better traction.

Maybe in another 6 months, it will be warm enough for me to install them. Geez...
see above rant.
Hahahah
Does james have logs with the w/m running? Your going to need those wider tires:D:thumbsup:

Yup, James has fixed up some of the detonation. The smaller pulley added to the detonation issue, and will take a few more logs to get rid of, I'm sure.

It's just been to cold lately to do anything. The streets are so rutted, it's like being on a trail. Geez. I need to move.

ok, I finally got off my pitty party about the weather, as the snows starting to melt off the streets, and do a log for James.

At 4300rpm, and not quite WOT, my spark advance is around 8 and a/f ratio of 11.1. Thats when I still hear pinging, and very distinctly. Lots of fuel...timing is way back, iats are low. I can see why James is wondering whats going on (at least from my extremely limited knowledge)

The picture shows a good example of where detonation occurs. The start of the pinging is right at the beginning of the red vertical line, and continues all the way to about 20 seconds. The guages are a snap shot of where the red line is.

Im sure James will take care of it, but I am interested in learning, and what everyones thoughts are.

Attachments

• pic of log.jpg
    pic of log.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 197

8 advance? What's it at idle? Swear mine was negtive/retard 18 at idle stock and thought he still had it set btc even at wot.idk:dunno:also why is their two iat temps??this is with w/m right? 166 isn't to to bad but if its 191 with w/m I would be really worried.

Im not sure if these are in degree's or not?. The iats drop when Im in boost (check graph 3 showing RPM's, Intake air temp, and iat's). The iat sensor is the one post M90. Definitely a temp drop when on the gas.

Spark advance is around 18 at idle.

Attachments

• pic of log2.jpg
    pic of log2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 196
  • pic of log3.jpg
    pic of log3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 196

Im not sure if these are in degree's or not?. The iats drop when Im in boost (check graph 3 showing RPM's, Intake air temp, and iat's). The iat sensor is the one post M90. Definitely a temp drop when on the gas.

Spark advance is around 18 at idle.

Man I wanna learn about tuning but it looks confusing to me.think I need to start get one of those "tuning for dummies" books haha don't think I could even leqrn enough to do any tuning of my own but would like to be able to understand it.

yes, me 2.

pfff. when i look at that, it looks like a 2 year olds "art" picture. i emailed james last friday with the smaller pulley pull, but havent heard from him yet.

I emailed James last friday with the smaller pulley pull, but haven't heard from him yet.

He must be busy with stuff thats actually making him money. Either that, or family.

Either way, good for him. I guess I won't be expecting an adjusted tune file for a while.

Tim, I think you should take the SCT on-line training, and teach the rest of us :D

I was looking at that SCT online training but it seems like it would be for more of a techy person and way over my head! I'll leave the tuning to the the pros, too much money involved to screw it up!

I'm with you guys though, I'd love to understand it.

dont know don. between you and i screwing around with our stuff before he's done tuning, he's going to hate anyone, and everyone from manitoba.

bad news from James this am for me.
It sounds like water/meth isn't enough to keep my inlet temps low. He's seeing high inlet temps even when I'm not in boost.

Here's his bad news quote:
Attached is the new file, I am not sure whether we will be able to get the detonation out of this thing. Looking at the datalog the inlet temps are high 220* to 230* mark on the initial hit around the 8 sec mark. This presents a huge problem! The second hit around the 16 second mark the temps went from 160 to high 170* mark. Not too bad. The issue is that I only have around 7.5* timing (non-really). I have fattened up the mixture, hopefully this file will help.

So? Id say the solutions are:
1. intercooler-Lose my dd for quite a while as I fab something up-This would include either a body lift, or cutting a hole in the hood.
2. Go back to a larger pulley.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to get these inlet temps down? Its not even warm outside yet.

Cowl hood? EE makes one. Or as you know, I have a few spare hoods laying around we can chop up

Cowl hood? EE makes one. Or as you know, I have a few spare hoods laying around we can chop up

Your not going to let me off the hook easily, are you Tim?

I really should have measured up the inlet SC adapter really well while the SC was off. It would have made researching an intercooler an awful lot easier.

As James said, this isn't going to be an easy fix.

Back