Another OHV M90 build | Page 76 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another OHV M90 build

2000 OHV + rpcaster + henson performance = another supercharged 4.0 ohv Explorer

I have goodies from James already (New MAF, 36lb injectors, wideband O2 for tuning)

Here's what came from Ron (Also a fuel pressure gauge and boost/vacuum gauge)

Attachments

• rpcaster.jpg
    rpcaster.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,575

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope. But with that said, I see your now to me. I always wanted to see if I could make one. Want to do one for evil, but matching the paint would be a *****. I Wounder why your having so many problems? I have the button for pulleys on mine. I have heard it ping twice so far, and that was when I nailed it on the roll. Not from a dead stop.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

How much clearance to you have ontop the charger? An ic should only take up about an inch or two.stick a 2x4 piece of wood or something ontop of it and try and close your hood.I would put a cowl hood on it and make an ic.
Think you will still have to use w/m even if you do an ic.I would imagine iat will jump a lot in summer.what mixture are you running for the w/m?

Where are the inlet temps being measured at? Right after the MAF? I've often been concerned about my inlet temps but have not experienced detonation.

With the 3.2" Supercoupe factory pulley, it was just barely rubbing the hood. So I bet I have just under a half inch clearance with Tim's pulley (I think its a 2.5", so 3.2-2.5=.7 .7/2=.35 inches.).

I'm running 50/50 mixture w/m. Yes, the Intercooler and water/meth are the best. I went with water/meth to avoid exactly where I'm at. A good idea gone bad. Doh!

I'm still in a bit of shock. I shouldn't be too surprised. This is not good.

I think I'll measure up externally for the IC as best I can, plumb for the IC and bring in the air/water ic of a size that's best guess. Then I can pull the adapter plate off and take it in to a fabricator that can hopefully turn it around quickly.

Tim, I think I'll be taking you up on the hood.

I just have to wonder if its worth it on my old truck.

Where are the inlet temps being measured at? Right after the MAF? I've often been concerned about my inlet temps but have not experienced detonation.

James is referring to my IAT temps, after the M90.

With the 3.2" Supercoupe factory pulley, it was just barely rubbing the hood. So I bet I have just under a half inch clearance with Tim's pulley (I think its a 2.5", so 3.2-2.5=.7 .7/2=.35 inches.).

I'm running 50/50 mixture w/m. Yes, the Intercooler and water/meth are the best. I went with water/meth to avoid exactly where I'm at. A good idea gone bad. Doh!

I'm still in a bit of shock. I shouldn't be too surprised. This is not good.

I think I'll measure up externally for the IC as best I can, plumb for the IC and bring in the air/water ic of a size that's best guess. Then I can pull the adapter plate off and take it in to a fabricator that can hopefully turn it around quickly.

Tim, I think I'll be taking you up on the hood.

I just have to wonder if its worth it on my old truck.

Problem with a stock hoods or steel hoods is that depending on where you need the cleance, that you might be cutting the frame support of the hood.even with aftermarket steel cowl hoods they are just made for looks, not clearance. Fiberglass is normally the only one that provide clearance. Again all depending on where your support frame and where it need to be cut.

This sucks but gota be expected with any kind of power build.if it was me and my dd I would just put the bigger pulley back on.I don't know if I could drop a bunch more money into it just for a pound or two of boost :(

Drop boost and spray a 35hp shot of nos!!!! You gain more power, help cool the temps and can be done for $300

I think your right JD. Just too much. The hood supports would have to be cut. Then there's more issues. I don't want to do a body lift, and the only other option is cutting hood supports.

Tim would be able to give me a pretty good idea on what would happen cutting up the hood once he looked at it.

The nos solution sounds like the best route to go.

I think your right JD. Just too much. The hood supports would have to be cut. Then there's more issues. I don't want to do a body lift, and the only other option is cutting hood supports.

Tim would be able to give me a pretty good idea on what would happen cutting up the hood once he looked at it.

The nos solution sounds like the best route to go.

I would think so.then all that stress for high boost and heat is gone and with that small of a shot it shouldnt even stress a motor at all.look at this way, your probably making about 10hp per lb of boost. That's like 20-25 hp you would lose going back to a bigger pulley.nos with a 35hp shot give you around 60hp to the ground.I would even consider a 50 shot depending on what boost your at.8lbs of boost and a 50shot, which would be like a 80-100hp to the ground.if you don't **** your pants with that then good lord!!:D

I plan on 14Lbs and a 35 shot with w/m.I think at 14Lbs ill have to use w/m all the time to help with temps.want to keep it under 160* iat, that's where my tune starts pulling timing.

Chopping the brace isn't a big deal imo. I can add bracing back into it, and use a heavier gauge steel for the risers. I would have to cut about 8 or so inches upwards from the front of the hood, and raise it up from there. It shouldn't be to hard, I have don't worse. The roll pan took a bit to do, and it looks factory.

Chopping the brace isn't a big deal imo. I can add bracing back into it, and use a heavier gauge steel for the risers. I would have to cut about 8 or so inches upwards from the front of the hood, and raise it up from there. It shouldn't be to hard, I have don't worse. The roll pan took a bit to do, and it looks factory.

Honestly I just looked at mine and where the sc would be is like an open "v" space with no braces so might not even have to worry about it.I love your roll pan, I'm going to have to pick your brain about that, want to do one on my ranger.I know its probably different but sure your have insite.;)
I'm liking the idea of nos tho:D

Hah!
Tim, your doing it to me again!!

I was just studying post 1 in this thread. There's a picture of the mount. I emailed Ron at RP Caster to see if he has crossed this bridge before.

I would think Id need at least a 2" intercooler for it to be effective since there wouldn't be huge length and width for the compressed air to push thru.

I did see a site somewhere that you could order up almost any size of intercooler core. Then I could have some more fabrication done. I sure wish I had another SC mount to do my fabrication work on.

I'll keep playing with the idea.

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/_pages/coreLiquidCore.html

If I could wedge a 2" by 6" intercooler in with minor fabrication I might have something. If I could sink it about an inch in to the existing mount, Id only be up another inch and a quarter.

I cant believe I'm considering this.

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/_pages/coreLiquidCore.html

If I could wedge a 2" by 6" intercooler in with minor fabrication I might have something. If I could sink it about an inch in to the existing mount, Id only be up another inch and a quarter.

I cant believe I'm considering this.

Man that's a good site.I use zzzperformance.they have two models, an ich and a two inch.wish I went with the thicker one now but think w/m will make up for it

Your solution was great. I wish there was a custom IC already built for my Supercoupe M90.

I am curious about your injectors playing into this with the size maf your running. As for cooling what are you running fan CFM wise?

Back