Another OHV M90 build | Page 77 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another OHV M90 build

2000 OHV + rpcaster + henson performance = another supercharged 4.0 ohv Explorer

I have goodies from James already (New MAF, 36lb injectors, wideband O2 for tuning)

Here's what came from Ron (Also a fuel pressure gauge and boost/vacuum gauge)

Attachments

• rpcaster.jpg
    rpcaster.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,579

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Phix, great to hear from you!

There has been no issue with my injectors, as the A/F ratio has always been fine. James has kept it good and rich to help with cooling.

Ron at RPCaster is going to give me a rough quote on a manifold with intercooler. I don't want him to go ahead and build it if the price is really high. I understand that a one off like this might be pretty expensive as its a lot of custom fabrication.

James is really concerned about the high iats, and doesn't want to do anything else with my motor unless I can get those temps down.

So, what does this mean? I'm going to go with larger pulleys. I might even have to go with the largest pulley (3.2"). I need to get the timing back. I was reading last night about pulling timing out, and efficiencies drop about 1% per degree pulled. This means, if timing was at 18 degrees, and is now at 7 degrees, Ive lost 11% efficiency while running high iat's. I need to get temps down, or quit trying to squeeze more power.

Phix, I think you are in the same boat as I am. We need to intercool to get rid of the heat soak issues we are seeing.

I'm running an e-fan, and ultimately that just increases under hood temps as its not running all the time.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I'm sure ron has an idea how to make one, I'm sure he has been asked a million time but probably no one has ever stepped up and said build it.I wonder why they have jumped so much just from that pulley or maybe they have always been high but he was able to tune it out.standing by to see what Ron comes up with.I would throw that big pulley on asap, detonation is no joke!!! Every time it pings could be its last :(

Ya, I installed the 2.8" pulley last night, and left the same pulley on.

If Ron can build me an intercooled intake plenum for a half ways reasonable price, I will probably go ahead with it.

Tim might not know what he's getting himself in to with building a hood for me. The problem with the hood modifications is that I would have no clue on the right way(or wrong way) to brace it properly, or make the cowl centered and look ok. Or do the body work and not have it crack off, for that matter.

I'm anxiously waiting a rough cost from Ron to hopefully give him the go ahead on the manifold.

Phix? If you want an inter-cooled ohv supercoupe M90 manifold, now's the time to chime in. The cost will probably be better when spread over two manifolds instead of just a one off.

I just sent Ron some pictures of the mount so he can mock something up on auto-cad and have the inlet/outlet in an easily accessible spot.

It sounds like Ron is interested in seeing this project get off the ground. My hat's off to him, as I'm surprised he's even looking at this. It won't exactly be a huge moneymaker for him.

Who knows, this whole thing just could actually come together.

Tim might not know what he's getting himself in to with building a hood for me. The problem with the hood modifications is that I would have no clue on the right way(or wrong way) to brace it properly, or make the cowl centered and look ok. Or do the body work and not have it crack off, for that matter.

im not worried, unless we have to cut all the way to the back of the hood. thats when i would worry. the hard part will be getting both sides level. as for cracking, shouldnt be a problem either.
(said in prefect hillbilly voice) normally it dont crack when its a inch think, yuck, yuck, yuck! :D

im not worried, unless we have to cut all the way to the back of the hood. thats when i would worry. the hard part will be getting both sides level. as for cracking, shouldnt be a problem either.
(said in prefect hillbilly voice) normally it dont crack when its a inch think, yuck, yuck, yuck! :D

hahaha...I'm guessing just the front will need some cutting out to clear the pulley. Ive been back and fourth with Ron today. He's working away at a mount.

I cant believe I'm doing this, but of course thats what I said when doing the heads, installing the SC, rebuilding the motor, putting in cam and dual rate springs, and on it goes.

Tim, I probably still wouldn't even consider going inter-cooled if it wasn't for you willing to help with the hood. Thank you.

well, first lets see how high up it will sit when he gets back to you, and we will take a few measurements to see where i will have to cut, and such. i dont want this to look like a bug bulge in the hood.

What about a mailbox?

hahaha. That is pretty good.
We will see what Ron and his autocad come up with. Im sure he has my current manifold on file. I'll be really interested in what he comes up with. There's a pretty good chance it wont sit a whole bunch higher than what I have now. We might just be dealing with about 1 inch bulge above the hood line. We might get really lucky and just cut away the hood support in that area and it will all be good.

That looks like a lot of work.
Something larger like that would look the best for sure. It would have to be very custom as Id need more height at the front of the hood.
Im not sure if you'd want to go thru that. I would do what I could, but my fear is that it wouldn't be much. Ah, Im a long way from that anyway. Lets see what Ron comes up with for a manifold. At least the hood looks really doable.

I've really been kicking around the idea of a hood like that for mine as well. Only thing is I wish someone had a picture of what it looks like up close, especially on the windshield side. I've just been afraid of #1 it looking weird due to the hood not going all the way back to the windshield and #2 loosing the sleeper look. However, I bet all of us can agree that the extra cooling and space under the hood would be a major improvement.

I've really been kicking around the idea of a hood like that for mine as well. Only thing is I wish someone had a picture of what it looks like up close, especially on the windshield side. I've just been afraid of #1 it looking weird due to the hood not going all the way back to the windshield and #2 loosing the sleeper look. However, I bet all of us can agree that the extra cooling and space under the hood would be a major improvement.

These people make that hood for way cheaper.idk if you missed the links or what.
http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/...or/hoods/fiberglass_hoods/unlimited_products/

http://www.up22.com/ranger.htm
There is a guy on here that was running the m90 but went to a m112 and is running this hood.I can't find it now but its a green second gen.

Thanks, I did see the links earlier but basically I was wanting to see someone on here with it on their truck for a product review and up close pictures, not those really small generic ones on the websites.

Driving to work today (In my mental fog), I was looking at my hood lines(I know, not the safest). I think I see what Tim's talking about.

He wants to take another hood and first, cut the center bulge out that goes up the middle. Then he wants to cut an even strip out from the center (Top to bottom) and join it together. That would give perfect symmetry on the hood lines, showing either a single rise in the hood that's twice the height of the factory bulge(cowl) or a double rise that the lines are in symmetry. Sorry, I know pictures would make all the difference.

Its interesting that the aftermarket hoods say they are only for 1995 to 1997. A second gen is 95-01. Is there a difference in 2nd gen's on the hoods?

Driving to work today (In my mental fog), I was looking at my hood lines(I know, not the safest). I think I see what Tim's talking about.

He wants to take another hood and first, cut the center bulge out that goes up the middle. Then he wants to cut an even strip out from the center (Top to bottom) and join it together. That would give perfect symmetry on the hood lines, showing either a single rise in the hood that's twice the height of the factory bulge(cowl) or a double rise that the lines are in symmetry. Sorry, I know pictures would make all the difference.

Its interesting that the aftermarket hoods say they are only for 1995 to 1997. A second gen is 95-01. Is there a difference in 2nd gen's on the hoods?
This guy made a pretty sweet one

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366987

Yeah I followed that build. I do really like that! My fab and body working skills are not up to that task!

I'll be discussing options with Tim. I think I'll have to be careful with this one. I don't think my wife will be happy. Maybe I can hide the transition, and she might not notice the modified hood. At least if she does, it will be too late. This way, I only live the pain once. :shifty_ey

Back