• Register Today It's free!

Another PATS problem

LarryMax

Reaction score
City, State
Anderson Island, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport 4x4
I'm sure you all have seen enough of these threads about PATS, but I think I have a unique situation.

The problem: 98 Explorer won't start. Anti-theft light flashes like crazy for a minute, then slowly flashes the "code".

All tricks posted on the internet have been tried. Also checked fuses, relay, etc.

I have the 2 original keys that came with the vehicle and am the original owner of the vehicle.

Here's the unique-ness of the situation. We live on an Island (Anderson Island, Wa) and is only accessible by ferry.

To have the vehicle towed, we've been quoted close to $300. To have a locksmith come out, the trip charge alone is $250.

So I find this http://tunertools.com/sniper!!!-special-forces-tuning-kit-!!-ford-gas.html and I've read it will disable the PATS.

I know it's $357, but if it will disable the PATS and start the car, it's really the better deal and I can sell it and hopefully recoup some of the money.

Can anyone please verify that this will in fact do what I need? Anyone know if someone rents these things out?

Thank you for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a followup to my post in case someone else has the issue. After an exhaustive search and many emails to various people and companies, I found an old post on a forum I don't remember about a guy who only charged $60 to disable PATS (I won't post his info publicly as he is only doing this on the side and as needed). I emailed him and he replied.

I shipped him my PCM and within a few days it was returned and my vehicle started and runs just fine.

It can be done, and done at a very reasonable price.

The forum gets quite a few perceived PATS related problems and cases of lost keys. Often the problems are not related to the PCM, but modifying the PCM to ignore PATS for just $60 is a great work-around for some.

Thanks for reporting back.

Hi LarryMax.

I have a 2007 ford EDGE with a PATS problem now for about a year. Do you want to share with me the person who you sent PCM to to disable your PATS. Mine Pats is driving me crazy, I have replaced the PCM and the key ring thing in the steering column. Any help would be great.

^ I know one guy who does it goes by the forum handle EFI-Unlimited.

Contact details:

Brian 727-657-2956
efiunlimited@gmail.com

Back