• Register Today It's free!

Another problem w/stalling

JDel

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Well, we fixed the problem we had before with the car stalling. Now we have a new problem. Our 94 explorer stalls after we fill up the gas tank. Every time. We start up the car when we leave the gas station, drive off, and as soon as we slow down and come to a stop, it stalls. It has to sit for about 10 minutes before it will start back up. If we try sooner, it tries to turn over but ends up stalling. I also had it stall one time when I was driving down a steep hill. Other than that, the car runs great. Any ideas???? Fuel filter was just changed, and we were told fuel pump is fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you got a big puddle of water in the gas tank.every time the trucks comes to a incline or dives while stopping it comes in contact with the pick up screen of the fuel pump . or thers a lot of trash floating in the tank and blocking the pickup screen.

just a guess

My first guess also is a blockage of some sort.

I don't know the deisgn well enough, but a more wild guess would be that the physics of the float rising in the tank could be out of whack and somehow pinch something and cut off flow. I really doubt it's that, though.

Electrical problems could also be a cause, but that might be a stretch.

Usually when there's junk in the tank, it's more of a problem when the fuel level is low, but anything's possible.

Mike

i was just thinking that water sinks while in gas and would float and hover around the pick up on the pump ...been a while since i saw water in gasoline and how the two react.... but i think that water may do that .correct me if i'm wrong tho .i don't think the float if malfunctioning would have anything to do with your problem because it's circut and the pumps are kinda separate from one another but they do have the same spot on the top of the tank where they connect. something you may want to try is the connection for the fuel pump ( left hand frame rail almost in the center of the tire area) take it loose and see if the tank electrical connectors are bad /dirty/ or just loose...maybe every time you fill up the tank is loose some how and moves forwards or backwards make a bad connection somehow...a long shot but could not hurt either.

just a shot in the dark, but I have trouble with my "crash switch" sometimes. Doesn't really sound like the same problem...mine will stall when someone hits the passenger side kick panel and won't start again until the switch (which is behind the passenger side kick panel) has been reset by pushing the red button on it.

Back