• Register Today It's free!

Another question

Tkirk54

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 ford explorer base
I'm new to this forum and searching around on here Does anyone know how to get the chrome piece off the back hatch . Id like to paint it black but not sure how it comes off or if it does . To clarify Im talking about the piece that runs across the back door with explorer on it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you spray it with Plasti-dip you wouldnt have to take it off.

Thanks I think I might be hooked already gonna read some more reviews but I think im sold

bodybump has plastidip his ride. Check out his pics. He has definitely up the ante with his exterior mods.

Liftgate Moulding
N0131506_580_01.jpg

ItemService Part NumberDescriptionTorqueMaterial NameNotes1

Liftgate body moulding
-
-
-

Liftgate body moulding bolt (4 required)
3 Nm (27 lb-in)
-
-

Liftgate body moulding nut (4 required)
-
-
-

Liftgate body moulding nut (2 required)
-
-
-

Thanks lol I went out and looked at it today and saw the 2 bolts on each end and just clips that hold it in thanks for the pic it wasnt to hard to get off Ill try to get some pics up of finished product

Thanks lol I went out and looked at it today and saw the 2 bolts on each end and just clips that hold it in thanks for the pic it wasnt to hard to get off Ill try to get some pics up of finished product

Hi Tkirk, ould you also take pics of it once removed from the liftgate? And if you could let us know how you actually pulled it out after removing the 2 bolts at the ends, I tried doing it and got scared of pulling it out and breaking it. hehehe. Thanks

To late Ill take pics of it off when I plasti dip it. Remove the 2 bolts and then I got a medium sized flat head and a small wash cloth about 4 maybe 5 inches is a clip just stick the screw driver under the piece put ur towel under the shaft of screwdriver and pry up slowly a lil at a time it will pop out there are several along the back just go down the whole piece doing the same thing .

Ok guys here are some pics of my front grille I plasti dipped . Ill get some better pics tomorrow but i have to say pretty easy and hard to mess up if you do it right and take your time. Pics are as follows first one is first coat secong is the 3rd coat and last is the 5th coat .

Ok maybe I wont post pics I tried to post from photobucket but there not beeing posted any suggestions

Nevermind lol figured it out

IMG_8884_zps3327fc1f.jpg

IMG_9108_zps8639d82a.jpg

IMG_3425_zpsb135f589.jpg

IMG_8884_zps3327fc1f.jpg

IMG_9108_zps8639d82a.jpg

IMG_3425_zpsb135f589.jpg

was it hard to peel the excess off? what about around the ford logo?

any photos of that back piece?

Just make sure u get an even coat . Even on the excess as well makes it alot easier to peel off if you dont give it atleast 4 decent coats or a couple more its gonna peel off in small pieces . Ill get a pic up of the back tomorrow . The ford logo was easy just peel up one of the corners at base of the logo. I chose where the edge is more round at each end took an exacto knife and peeled it up till I could grab it then peeled away from the edge and it came right off no problems . But as far as hard to peel off no as long as you do what the guy does in the videos on youtube you will be ok

looks good,

im wondering how it will hold up on the front of the truck

Well its been on there since the 14th of DEC and no issues so far and it's been run through a car was atleast 4 times since and I see no signs of wear and it had about an inch of ice on it several days ago and held up fine so the cold weather didnt make it crack like I figured it would for some reason. I have horrible luck so Im always watching for the worst I guess .

I really want to try the front grille, but for some reason I'm having a hard time believing its just THAT easy to peal off the excess and have it cut out perfectly around the grille without any issue.

When I look at that grille I see lots of crevices and things that make it look harder and made me question whether to take the plunge. Make me feel better please.

Also did you protect the radiator or whats behind the grille in any way?

-T

I just did my grille yesterday and it is that easy to peel the excess off. Like others have said its much easier if you leave a couple inches around the area you wish to plastidip. That was it gives you more of an area to hold as your peeling it off. I dont know how it works but it only comes off the areas its supposed to. Great product so far. Hopefully durability will be good as well. I also did the "explorer" strip in the back and have to do the "limited" and "4wd" emblems next. My only word of advice is to protect from over spray. It does rub off but it takes alot of elbow grease!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't get the greatest pictures but here's some I took while doing it.

Back