Another SAS in progress *pics* | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another SAS in progress *pics*

I finally had the time to do the swap.

-HP D44
-5.13 and No-Spin detroit
-1.25 x .25 wall DOM, 3/4" heim joints.
-EB adjustable track bar.
-Wildhorses 5.5 coils
-big bronco upper coil buckets, cut and reinforced.
-big bronco RA and stock bracket.

Day 1: after 3 hours, we finished taking the TTB front end off.
2199project009.jpg

end of day 1.
2199project013.jpg

Day 2 and 3: this is where I wished I got the front end put together before taking everything out. I had about 6 spindle studs missing. Nobody in town had them and finally decided with a grade 8 bolt from ACE.

who tried to put the bearings in backwards?:eek:
2199project012.jpg

2199project-015.jpg

done, minus the calipers and brake lines.
2199project018.jpg

old tires, mounted and balanced on new 15x8 rims.
2199project_020.jpg

Day 4 and 5:
-got the front end under the explorer.
-worked on the transmission cross-member, it was on the way of the RA bracket.
-radius arms and brackets hooked up.

2199project_022.jpg

I had to cut the cross-member and weld it with the RA bracket. This is temporary and hopefully soon I can build a modified one with tubes.
2199project031.jpg

Day 6 and 7:
-I had to cut and reinforce the fullsize upper coil bucket and did the tie rod.
-got the coils and track bar installed also.

track bar drop bracket and coil bucket welded in place.
2199p1010069.jpg

2199p1010073.jpg

this is the unpainted coil bucket. You can see the booger welds from the previous day.
2199p1010075.jpg

newbie welder... getting better?
2199p1010076.jpg

end of day 7...
2199p1010080.jpg

Things that still needs to be done...
-TRE's
-calipers and brakelines.
-shock towers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Any more updates? Is it rollin' yet?
You've been working on it long enough!!

Good job Daemon :D Can't wait to see it in person and wheel with you!

Daemon,

saw your truck today...the fire alarm was going off in that little shop for some unknown reason... dont worry, we didnt let your baby burn. it was kind of wierd, i had no idea that was where you were working on it at, i opened up the door with our universal key and said, "oh sh*t, i know that truck," my captain just kind of stared at me whiled i tried to remember what i was doing there in the first place. wierd moment.

anyways, its looking huge!

Small world :D

Very Small... Good save :)

Daemon, why did you go from a 15x10 to a 15x8?

Originally posted by burnin_up
Daemon,

saw your truck today...the fire alarm was going off in that little shop for some unknown reason... dont worry, we didnt let your baby burn. it was kind of wierd, i had no idea that was where you were working on it at, i opened up the door with our universal key and said, "oh sh*t, i know that truck," my captain just kind of stared at me whiled i tried to remember what i was doing there in the first place. wierd moment.

anyways, its looking huge!

burnin_up- LOL, was there anything wrong with the welding shop :D? Did I leave the gas tanks or the heater on over the weekend :eek: ?

Rick, I can't wait to finish it up and wheel with you. I will start with smaller trails before heading to florence, don't wanna be like upsidedown from wheelingarizona. :roll: :D

Yomie, I wanted it a little taller and be able to air down more.

Originally posted by -=DaemoN=-
Yomie, I wanted it a little taller and be able to air down more.

Cool, well it looks great, and your welds are much prettier than mine when i did my sas.

:D

there was nothing wrong other than the alarm system was acting up...but my amazing driving skills got us there fast enough to save your baby if there was a problem.:D we got a big ole winch on the front of our truck that i would have pulled it out with right through the door if there was a problem. ...then again it might be easier to open the door and just shove it out...but thats not as fun.:rolleyes:

This is how it stands right now. No shocks and rear springs not installed. :D

The track-bar drop bracket doesn't look like it will hold on. So, I made a support out of a 1/4" plate.
2199project_024.jpg

here it is tacked...
2199project_025.jpg

welding in tight corner sucks... and painted.
2199project_027.jpg

front view...
2199project_028.jpg

side view... like a pimp.:cool: :p
2199project_029.jpg

:chug: Very nice :D A great way to start the New Year. I sure hope you can join us at Truckhaven in a few weeks!

Is this with or without the 9".

I 2nd Ricks post:
Hope you can get to T-Haven.

If not, we need to go wheelin in tucson.

This is without the 9". If you look closely I'm still using the 15x10's on the rear.

I can't do truckhaven because one of the guys at work is taking leave and we are going to be busy in January. Sorry. :(

So, Andy when are you doing your swap? There's a lot of things I would like to change on my swap including the brackets from the pic. If you want me to help you out, it will be a lot cleaner rig.

Do ya got 5grand for me? If you do, I'm ready now!!

:D Well, I don't know about that... I don't even have the money for the 9". Every time I see a post on a good deal for a d44, I wanted to give you a call. But then I remember you just spent money on regearing and the lockers.

Doing this swap myself saved me a lot of money on labor but spent money on BS stuff. I would guess around $4K but like I said, if I knew what I know now it would be a little lower.

I'm actually thinking of finding an old early bronco (around 77) and using that front D44. Sure it's low pinion, but there would be no shortning of the axle, and the steering would be done also. People lift the heck out of old broncos and do fine, so I figured I could do fine also.

So, let me know when you want to go test your beast. We can take it out to Reddington and try that rock hill I got messed up on last time.

That looks great. I got a LOT of valuable info from your swap for mine, thanks!

Just curious, why didn't you mount your tie rod on top of the knuckles?

I think cause it made for better track bar lines. You want to line up the track bar with the drag link, so when you look straight on, you can't see the track bar.

Hey Daemon, I was just looking at your photos again. You better fab up some rock sliders before taking her out. It seems that there is a curse among Explorer owners. The rockers panels never get damaged until just before they sliders go on :D

Back