• Register Today It's free!

Another Speaker Question

Dwj

Reaction score
City, State
Burnaby, B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum as I have recently purchased a 2001 Explorer Sport with the 6 disc in dash changer and subwoofer. The system sounds reasonable but am wondering if upgrading the speakers would increase the performance. I have searched the forum and have found lots of info on speakers used with a different hu but nothing on speakers used with the factory unit. Would changing the door speakers to aftermarket help the system and is it possible to change the subwoofer speaker for better performance while utilizing the factory amplifiers?

Yes it will change the sound. Factory equipment is pieced together from the manu's to sound the best with one another (bass, trebble, handeling of the speaker). From my time installing most of the time if you replaced the speaks and left the factory radio you loose some bass response.

As for the sub: Yes you can change it, but once again you will need to match the power output of the factory amp to the handeling of a new sub. Most factory amps dont put enough power out for a good speaker. It may sound good, but under-powered. Under-powering a speaker will lead to distortion which is the number 1 reason to blow a speaker.

PS you only have a factory amp on the sub. Its the power from the deck on the door and rear speakers

Back